PDA

View Full Version : DOOM3 III possible for xbox

JJaX
05-30-2002, 08:54 AM
Doom III, one of the overall standouts of E3 2002, may come to the Xbox, but only after the PC version.

Going into E3, there was quite a bit of speculation that Activision and id Software would announce that Doom III would be a console game. As far back as last summer, John Carmack, id's lead programmer, commented that the game's advanced graphics engine would be best adapted to the Xbox out of the current generation of consoles. Yet at E3, Doom III was only announced for release on the PC, and it's scheduled for sometime in 2003. Nonetheless, id has left the door open for a console version of the game. Todd Hollenshead, CEO of id Software, said, "We will put more thought into the console side once we're done with the PC version, but Xbox looks the most attractive at this point."
There are a couple reasons why it may take a while for the game to make the switch from PC to consoles. Doom III is designed to push the bar for game graphics, and it's very hardware-intensive. The Doom III gameplay demo at E3 was running on a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 PC with a next-generation ATI graphics card that has yet to be announced. Certainly, the game will run on less cutting-edge PCs, but too early to say how slower hardware will affect the quality of the game's graphics. In addition to heavy hardware requirements, another factor that will weigh on an Xbox version is the fact that the game is designed for the OpenGL graphics API rather than Microsoft's DirectX standard, which was adapted to the Xbox. We've seen past id games land on consoles, such as Quake III Revolution for Playstation 2, so it just may be a matter of time.

source

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2868423,00.html

Lets keep our fingers crossed for this one..........Starting now!

silvertrace
05-30-2002, 09:01 AM
a person in the txb forums had a link to a video of Doom III, it looked amazing..........it will fit in perfectly with my Halo 2 and UC

Taranis
05-30-2002, 09:02 AM
So, does this validate the idea that porting PC games to Xbox is much easier than going to any other console? I, for one, think that having many of the great PC games that are out there ported to Xbox is not a terrible thing, as long as, the flow of Xbox exclusives or originals is not slowed.

Kraft
05-30-2002, 09:02 AM
If this happens, the only FPS I will be waiting for on my box is a new version of quake! *drools* Of course, with this influx of FPS's, someone has to release some kind of mouse kit... I don't care how well the controller works with halo, a mouse is better.

Taranis
05-30-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Of course, with this influx of FPS's, someone has to release some kind of mouse kit... I don't care how well the controller works with halo, a mouse is better. Amen, isn't strange that an input device as old as mouse and "keyboard" has never been bested for FPS pla?

silvertrace
05-30-2002, 09:05 AM
If this happens, the only FPS I will be waiting for on my box is a new version of quake! *drools* Of course, with this influx of FPS's, someone has to release some kind of mouse kit... I don't care how well the controller works with halo, a mouse is better.

playing a console game with a mouse & keyboard defeats the purpose:rolleyes:

i agree it is "better", but why not just stick to pc games and leave the controllers to the console:eek:

JJaX
05-30-2002, 09:06 AM

if a mouse did come out for the xbox i dont know where i could sit comfortably and play. I dont think they should make a mouse for the xbox. Dont get me wrong, I love playing FPS with mouse + KB. But i dont see it suiting well for a console.

And it would suck playing online and a few peeps had mouse + KB. They would own everyone with the controllers.

i say we keep it a fair playing field and just leave the mice to the PC.

Taranis
05-30-2002, 09:08 AM
Maybe it doesn't have to be a mouse per se, but some control device that emulates that motion along with several keys to emualte the keyboard thing. There have been some attempts to do this in the past on the PC, but most have failed miserably. There's got to be a way to do it.

OppiumNitrates
05-30-2002, 09:12 AM
... I don't care how well the controller works with halo, a mouse is better.

Im sorry thats an opionon and one that i dont share with you . . . but alot of other seem to
i'll use my mouse and keyboard when crusin around XBA not around halo

Veno
05-30-2002, 09:31 AM
Actualy ms could make alot of money selling a mouse and keyboard for the xbox when xbox live comes out. I mean the people with a mouse and keyboard would own everyone forcing every xbox owner in the world to buy 1-4 of them.

Kraft
05-30-2002, 09:37 AM
I remember seeing a mouse/joypad prototype thing a few weeks ago in one of the forums. It was kinda a thing that sat on your lap, had a space for the mouse, and instead of a keyboard it had a molded thing that you put your left hand on with about 14 buttons. if I could set that on my lap sitting in my easy chair and play halo online? That will be the life. As for the controller being just as good for halo... Give me my mouse and we will see who has the higher percentage of headshots.

Scarlet Spider
05-30-2002, 12:24 PM
i love doom

im gunna roll around on the floor and sing the doom song now, K?!

*rolls around on the floor* DOOM DOO DOOM DOOM DOOM DOO DOO DOOM

you ZIM HEADS know what im on about!!!

Alien
05-30-2002, 01:50 PM
I remember seeing a mouse/joypad prototype thing a few weeks ago in one of the forums. It was kinda a thing that sat on your lap, had a space for the mouse, and instead of a keyboard it had a molded thing that you put your left hand on with about 14 buttons. if I could set that on my lap sitting in my easy chair and play halo online? That will be the life. Yes it would! If they also had that keyboard thing, they could bring RTS's to Xbox....I would love to see the Age of Empires series on the Xbox.

Hugh_Jass
05-30-2002, 02:38 PM
I'll probably get Doom 3 for the PC. I just can't get used to FPS games with the XBOX controller.

Carnage
05-30-2002, 02:48 PM
hmm.. i thought i read somewhere that porting D3 to the xbox wasnt feasible?

Uchiha Sasuke
05-30-2002, 05:53 PM
Anything is possible when you put enough work to it.Doom 3 on a console would be a godsent.I can play it on my computer but it would be killer if they would incorporate a lan option for the console version for some 16 player frag fests.

darqxvi
05-30-2002, 05:56 PM
If Doom 3 was ported to Xbox, There would have to be a lot of changes. Mainly Graphics, the xbox hardware isnt nearly powerful enough to do Doom 3. I don't see it happening.

Uchiha Sasuke
05-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Hay they did the same thing with quake on the ps2 and that game was still as hell.I see it happening on xbox but like you said there would have to be graphical adjustments,but i still think the game would look amazing.

cityson
06-03-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Substance Snake
Hay they did the same thing with quake on the ps2 and that game was still as hell.I .

YEA, Quake and PS2 can GOT TO HELL!!!!! While xbox can be stayed in heaven :cool: