PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Championship aka Unreal Tournament 2003, what's the hype?



Veno
05-30-2002, 12:07 PM
I've been looking at it for awhile and it looks just like Unreal Tournament with a few outdoor maps and vehicles thrown in. I'm a major fps man but I'd prefer halo to that. I've only seen 2 vehicles, what have you guys seen? I'm interested in what kind of vehicles and if there are any new guns. Unreal Championship is also not an xbox exclusive, it's coming out for pc with the name Unreal Tournament 2003. Best chances it will also be ported to the ps2. If someone could please fill me in why Max is obsessing over this game, it would be highly appreciated. I myself am a

Counter Strike Condition Zero freakkk

I'll be playing that this november muahahahahhaha. I'm also pretty sure you can only buy it through Valve's new broadband download. You can only buy it off their site through broadband. That's what it said in last issue of Computer Gaming World, they had a 12 page preview of Star Wars Galaxies and a 3 page preview of Counter Strike Condition Zero. mmm, Star Wars Galaxies, I can't wait to hunt real people down for a bounty. Muahahahahhahaa...

Duke
05-30-2002, 12:13 PM
General Discussion
Talk about the latest happenings of the XBox here. No game discussion.


Aside from that, UC looks good to me.

The XBL aspect doesn't hurt it too much either.

Frink
05-30-2002, 12:13 PM
Umm...Unreal Championship and UT 2003 are two completely separate games. I think all the hype comes from the fact that all Unreal games are pure genious.

Kooster
05-30-2002, 12:15 PM
Unreal Championship is an Xbox exclusive. If u look at the videos at Xbox.com (heres a link) (http://www.xbox.com/unrealchampionship/default.htm?cs_catalog=cat%2dus), at the very end of each video it says "Only on Xbox." I think it is hard to review this game because it is months from coming out.

l Maximus l
05-30-2002, 12:17 PM
Unreal Championship is, indeed, exclusive to XBox. Unreal Tournament 2003 will be a slightly different game but, I agree, will have a lot of the same elements to it.

Unreal Championship is tailored to the XBox console...from the graphical capabilities, options, to the control scheme and taking advantage of the XBox controller.

I'm a die hard fan of FPSs and it is my belief that Unreal Championship could even beat out the briliancy of Halo. Besides, Unreal Championship is designed specifically for XBox Live and is going to kick some major ass. You'll see, this game will be a phenomenon! :)

Kooster
05-30-2002, 12:25 PM
I think Unreal Championship will beat Halo in multiplayer. Halo was made more for single player mode. It only has a few guns, a few vehicles, and one character. Unreal Championship will have lots of everything, plus voice communicating. It will definitely be awesome. Another FPS Im looking forward to is Tribes: Ariel Assault. I used to love Starsiege Tribes. Oh, and Im looking forward to Brute Force!

Kraft
05-30-2002, 12:27 PM
It will definately beat halo out as far as multiplayer fragfests are concerned, but Halo will definately win for single player action... then again, I don't ever remember Unreal having single player action...

l Maximus l
05-30-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
It will definately beat halo out as far as multiplayer fragfests are concerned, but Halo will definately win for single player action... then again, I don't ever remember Unreal having single player action...

To my understanding, Unreal Championship will have a single player part of the game...but, I don't know a lot about it. I'm going to play Unreal Championship mainly as a Multi-player/on-line game anyway. But, I guess you can build up your arsenal in single player combat that can be used in mutli-player and on-line combat. So, I just may be playing single player a lot at first.

Veno
05-30-2002, 01:15 PM
Your guys responses were really general basically saying "this game will be awesome because unreal games always are or 'i am looking forward to this one'" but yet no one has mentioned anything specific. What new guns or vehicles will be available? I'm mainly concerned about vehicles, I think it would be cool if there were some really interesting ones. I wouldn't be too dissapointed if they had the same guns from UT, i still enjoy them. But mainily i'm wondering about the vehicles.

l Maximus l
05-30-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Veno
Your guys responses were really general basically saying "this game will be awesome because unreal games always are or 'i am looking forward to this one'" but yet no one has mentioned anything specific. What new guns or vehicles will be available? I'm mainly concerned about vehicles, I think it would be cool if there were some really interesting ones. I wouldn't be too dissapointed if they had the same guns from UT, i still enjoy them. But mainily i'm wondering about the vehicles.

As of right now, I don't know a lot of the different vehicles, but, I do know that there will be mutli-passenger vehicles like the Warthog in Halo...which, as you know, allows one dude to drive and another to operate the rotating gun. I also know that there are single passenger vehicles...one of them is reminiscient to the ghost ship in Halo but instead of sitting, I believe your character will stand up. Those are the only two that I am aware of but they did mention that there are a slew of others. Personally, I open to a surprise factor and not knowing much more until I get my greedy hands on it :D

As for weapons...I heard that there are some very unique weapons in addition to a standard arsenal of pistols, shotguns, Rocket Launchers, and Grenade Launchers. One of the weapons I heard about is a paintball gun...but, of course, this is not any ordinary paintball gun. Basically, it shoots yellow paint balls that will tag your partner. Of course it will leave a yellow stain on your opponent's attire...but, moments later, a streak of lighting from the heavens comes streaming down frying your opponent into oblivian! :D hehe...I love twisted weapons like this!!

Ninja Scroll
05-30-2002, 02:24 PM
Screw da hype, da question is who's gonna beat Ninja Jubei to da stores on da day it's released?!:D

Kraft
05-30-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
Screw da hype, da question is who's gonna beat Ninja Jubei to da stores on da day it's released?!:D

My fist will beat your head if you try to cut in front of me in line!:eek: :D

RadRider
05-30-2002, 02:28 PM
Unreal Championship is exclusive to Xbox. The two major differences it has over Unreal Tournament 2003 are:
1. Vehicles (the pc version doesn't have any vehicles, until mods anyway)
2. You start with all weapons, and powerup at "powerup stations" around the map, rather than the standard "run around and grab all the weapon and ammo you can" style of play.

That second point is really a major part of why Unreal Championship will be soo good. The whole Unreal Tournament thing has been skewed, changed into an actual tournament style game. Now rather than run around a map and do everything solo, you have a team to control. This is why the single player will be worthwhile, because like in any football game, you're bringing your team up through the ranks. Only, unlike a football game, you can customize each player depending on how you play. Want to make one guy awesome as a tank and have another as a speedy little defender guy for the tank? Go ahead!

This will really be interesting to play online, especially for one-on-one team matches; since each player will have customized his/her own team throughout the single player game, and each will have advantages.

On top of that, there's the Xbox communicator support, and the awesome Unreal gameplay that we've come to expect. And what's this about Unreal never having a strong single player? Man, did you even play Unreal? Unreal was the single greatest first-person, single player shooter of it's time.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the addition of the double-jump and block manoevres.

Ninja Scroll
05-30-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Veno
Your guys responses were really general basically saying "this game will be awesome because unreal games always are or 'i am looking forward to this one'" but yet no one has mentioned anything specific. What new guns or vehicles will be available? I'm mainly concerned about vehicles, I think it would be cool if there were some really interesting ones. I wouldn't be too dissapointed if they had the same guns from UT, i still enjoy them. But mainily i'm wondering about the vehicles.

YO kid, dis Unreal new joint comin out lata dis year is gonna be off da hezzi my neezi! Pimp tight all da way, naw mean, like awesome and super dupper cizzzoool, ya feel me...BAAABABABIII!!!
Unreal Champ in gonna be off da hook!:D

What you say about guns..oh anyways..who cares. Dis games gonna me mad crazy cool!:D

Ninja Scroll
05-30-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU


My fist will beat your head if you try to cut in front of me in line!:eek: :D

I am notoriously known for busting in front of chumps in da line. Whether it's at da food store or in Best Buy.
Ninja Owns All!:cool:

As a matter of fact I own a box of KraftSLU Macaronni and Cheese!:D

LynxFX
05-30-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Veno
Your guys responses were really general basically saying "this game will be awesome because unreal games always are or 'i am looking forward to this one'" but yet no one has mentioned anything specific.

Veno, why don't you actually go to the official websites or Xbox.com and read about the specifics there. You know, you can do your own research, it won't hurt.

UC and UT03 are very similar with the exceptions of vehicles. I don't believe UT03 has vehicles.

UC and UT03 will have single player but that is basically just playing against bots. Unreal 2 is the single player 'Unreal' game that is coming out.

A game can come out on the console and PC and still be console exclusive.

Watch the videos and you can see first hand what the weapons do and how they are different or similar.

E-Xbox
05-30-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by professor_frink
Umm...Unreal Championship and UT 2003 are two completely separate games. I think all the hype comes from the fact that all Unreal games are pure genious.

exactly what i was gonna say
there are 3 unreal games coming
unreal 2 (mostly sp...for pc)
unreal tournament 2...which has been renamed ut 2003....(mostly mp for pc)
and
unreal championship (xbox...totally new game!)


peace

Veno
05-30-2002, 04:09 PM
Well, from the article in CGW i read it states that UC is just another version of UT 2003 customized for the x. And someone said Unreal 2 is just singleplayer in this thread. What the hell are you on, dude? And where can I get some?

RadRider
05-30-2002, 04:12 PM
Unreal 2 is only single player, and Unreal Championship is just a modified version of Unreal Tournament 2003.

Kraft
05-30-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Veno
Well, from the article in CGW i read it states that UC is just another version of UT 2003 customized for the x. And someone said Unreal 2 is just singleplayer in this thread. What the hell are you on, dude? And where can I get some?

UC is customized UT '03... it has vehicles and weapon stations... And U2 is single player, I think you are getting U2 and UT '02 confused as the same thing...

LynxFX
05-30-2002, 04:41 PM
Well the multiplayer demo of UT 2003 should be out next week with the final version out shortly after, late June.

This is a far cry from when UC comes out on the Xbox which is this Fall. From what I've seen, I believe UC and UT'03 are different enough to justify getting both.

Unreal II is a completely different game than UC and UT'03. (just repeating because some people still don't get that)

Veno
05-30-2002, 04:45 PM
I knew all of this except the rumor that U2 is sp only. Ugh, and why can't I get my signature to work? I've never used one in a forum. I'm actualy pretty new to forums. Yeah i know it's a n00b question but could someone remind me how?

OEM Alien
05-30-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Veno
I've been looking at it for awhile and it looks just like Unreal Tournament with a few outdoor maps and vehicles thrown in. I'm a major fps man but I'd prefer halo to that. I've only seen 2 vehicles, what have you guys seen? I'm interested in what kind of vehicles and if there are any new guns. Unreal Championship is also not an xbox exclusive, it's coming out for pc with the name Unreal Tournament 2003. Best chances it will also be ported to the ps2. If someone could please fill me in why Max is obsessing over this game, it would be highly appreciated. I myself am a

Counter Strike Condition Zero freakkk

I'll be playing that this november muahahahahhaha. I'm also pretty sure you can only buy it through Valve's new broadband download. You can only buy it off their site through broadband. That's what it said in last issue of Computer Gaming World, they had a 12 page preview of Star Wars Galaxies and a 3 page preview of Counter Strike Condition Zero. mmm, Star Wars Galaxies, I can't wait to hunt real people down for a bounty. Muahahahahhahaa... maybe UC is so popular because it's only THE BEST FPS GAME EVER! i mean damn man what more could you want in a game! it blows away halo with one frag! better than quake 3, better than half life, better than rtcw, better than moh a.a., better than jedi knigt 2, better than any game ever. THIS GAMES GONNA ROCK THA HOUSE BABY! YOU NEED TO START GETTING HYPED! :D

Veno
05-30-2002, 10:28 PM
Geezus, now that is the definition of a fanboy answer. I mean mannn, and still I'm confused how to do my signature.

Nerrad529
05-30-2002, 10:42 PM
It should be an exclusive. The pc version won't be anything like it. I hope

Calve
05-30-2002, 11:25 PM
im also really pumped for this game!!! but i dont have broadband so the game wont be that good for me:( :( i guess ill just have to pray for broadband to come out here!!!:eek: :eek:

Peace

PS Will UC have multiplayer like 4 players or system link??? (yes im not an idiot i know bout xbox live)

Veno
05-30-2002, 11:37 PM
Take a guess :rolleyes: and I still don't know how to do signature images. Can someone please tell me?

RadRider
05-31-2002, 12:50 AM
Veno, I see your signature pictures are working. But now that they are, could you get something significantly smaller? I'm running my PC at 1024x768 and your sig takes a screen and a half. No offense, but that's what I define as "not cool".

E-Xbox
05-31-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Calve
im also really pumped for this game!!! but i dont have broadband so the game wont be that good for me:( :( i guess ill just have to pray for broadband to come out here!!!:eek: :eek:

Peace

PS Will UC have multiplayer like 4 players or system link??? (yes im not an idiot i know bout xbox live)

no more then 4 players
uc i think will have 32...
but n e ways..wat are u talkin bout no broadband in cambridge...
is there no rogers cable internet?
or bell sympatico high speed dalnet..?
i live in ontario around that general area of whitby,ajax,oshawa
and they all have broadband...kitchener waterloo also has it and thats rite there


peace

Felon
05-31-2002, 07:50 AM
Screw Unreal....its all about Counter-Strike.

Veno
05-31-2002, 12:09 PM
Damn straight, man. Counter Strike Condition Zero baby

hellook
05-31-2002, 12:34 PM
:cool: i am now felling really bad 4 the other corps. sony and nintendo might go bankrupt then good old billly gates will by them
hahahahahahahhahahah

OEM Alien
05-31-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Calve
im also really pumped for this game!!! but i dont have broadband so the game wont be that good for me:( :( i guess ill just have to pray for broadband to come out here!!!:eek: :eek:

Peace

PS Will UC have multiplayer like 4 players or system link??? (yes im not an idiot i know bout xbox live) nah dude, if UC is anything like unreal tournament single player will be just asgoo or better than online! the unreal tournament single player offline games had different games to play with aroung anywhere from 15 to 30 HUGE levels for each game. this was the best single player offline game ever. and online KICKAS ARSE AS WELL!
U.C. is gonna kick major azz! :cool: