PDA

View Full Version : Xbox System Link Help

Calve
05-30-2002, 06:16 PM
well the title says it all...

i have 3 cat 5 cables, and a hub (all the stuff needed to hook up xbox to the net) and i was wondering if i could hook up two xboxes using these materials.... if its possible could u tell me how i could do this....or do i have to go buy a system link cable????

Peace

Calve
05-30-2002, 07:02 PM
damn peeps i need help!!!

my party is tommorow!!!!:( :confused: :( :confused:

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!:eek:

Snake Eyez
05-30-2002, 09:14 PM
What I use to hook two boxes together is a cross-over cable. That's it.

Calve
05-30-2002, 10:08 PM
is a crossover cable a cat 5 cable????(aka network cable)

Peace

Snake Eyez
05-30-2002, 10:41 PM
I believe that these mean the same thing. It is the same cable that you use to plug your x box to your computer. Just plug one end into one box and the other end into the other box. When you are picking a multiplayer game make sure you go to the system link option and go from there. Both boxes have to have the same game and then one of you can choose what game to play and the other box will join in.

Enjoy

Calve
05-30-2002, 10:49 PM
thanx man!!!!!!!!!:) :)

Peace!!!!!

Alien
05-30-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Calve
thanx man!!!!!!!!!:) :)

Peace!!!!!
It's fun like crazy. Me and Frink did it once with a bunch of friends, it was sweet.

BCan
05-31-2002, 06:27 AM
A normal network cable, won't work as a "system link" cable, it needs to be a cross over cable.
In essence a normal cable has the same wiring at each end, where the receive wire(s) and send wire(s) are in the same position. So when you attempt to use this what will happen is that no data will be sent. It won't complete the circuit, as the data from one end will be colliding with the sent data from the other machine, since the "straight through" cabling means that both machines are sending data down the same wire(s).
One end needs to have the wires changed, so that the send and receive wire(s) are crossed over. This is so one ends send wire(s) is now in the position of the receive wire(s) on the other end, and the same for the send wire(s).
CAT-5 cable is the rating of the cable, that it is up to CAT-5 standards.

With what you have, use the hub and use the normal cables to join the two systems. Plug both machines into the hub, and see how you go from there. It should be XBOX with cable to hub, and the other XBOX should be the same.

hook-worm J
05-31-2002, 04:28 PM
I beleive BCan is right... And here is what I got from an Xbox info file: "If you only want to hook two Xbox's together and you don't have a hub, you will need the system link cable. The system link cable is different from standard ethernet cables even though they look the same, so don't confuse the two."

here is the link to the whole text document:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/file/xbox.txt