PDA

View Full Version : FF online problems continue.........

Highlite23
05-30-2002, 10:55 PM
Despite months of beta testing, Square's long awaited PlayStation 2 online RPG 'Final Fantasy XI' was plagued by network problems within its first week of availability. As a result, Square has suspended charging customers until the end of June for their online service. To explain the situation president Youichi Wada recently went on record with the Mainichi Shimbum in Japan.

Complete Story:http://www.xengamers.com/sections/news/7545/

Calve
05-30-2002, 10:59 PM
i knew ps2s online plans would F:)ck up

Peace

RadRider
05-31-2002, 01:16 AM
Not PS2's, square's. The PS2 online system is actually exactly the same as a PC; in theory. Publishers might decide to charge users to play their games online (like Sony does with some of their games, excluding MMORPG's I'm told), in which case we have a very bad online plan here. Broadband and narrowband? That's what creates lag my friends. No dedicated servers? That's when you get even worse lag. Greedy publishers like EA and Sony? That's when you get publishers charging for each of their games. So in a worst case scenario we will get a ton of third party servers like what Square has here, each publisher charging a fee for users to play online, and tons of lag. However, in a best case scenario, we will see no online fees except for MMORPG's, a possible headset released, and no lag for those people using broadband (only those using narrow). In such a case as that, then I'm afraid to say Sony's online plans are more promising than Microsoft's in that you don't have to pay any governing fee. That said, I like Microsoft's plan because we're guaranteed fast, lagless online play, voice communication with voice modification, one year of service, and an extra game. It still bums me out that we'll likely have to pay an extra fee to play MMORPG's as well, but I don't have time for those anyway. ;)

khaos2005
05-31-2002, 06:03 AM
Well said RadRider.

Dre
05-31-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by RadRider
It still bums me out that we'll likely have to pay an extra fee to play MMORPG's as well, but I don't have time for those anyway. ;)

Since MS was saying that Xbox live was a FLAT fee, what leads you to believe that an additional charge will exist for MMORPGS?? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever!! Game company develops game, sells game, then charges consumers to play on MS servers that we're already paying for? I've heard NOTHING to lead me to the conclusion that MMORPGS will have additional fees taxed onto them, if you did, would you mind enlightening me please? It just doesn't make any sense to me and goes against what I understood the service to be from the E3 press conferences. Its not like PC MMORPGS anymore... the company doesn't need servers or anything, which is traditionally the reason the charges were introduced (to offset the costs of servers), so why should they charge?