PDA

View Full Version : Have the people at Sqaure ever heard the saying...

Highlite23
05-30-2002, 11:00 PM
"DON'T PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET" is this a dumb move by Square??

Square has released their fiscal results for the second half of year, reflecting sales activity from October 2001 - March 2002. As expected, Square's results were deeply impacted by the dismal performance of the company's first feature film 'Final Fantasy: Spirits Within.' Sales during the period were 3.6 billion yen ($29 million), a 51 percent decrease from the same term last year. Software shipments for the year were 7,900,000 units, which breaks down geographically as follows: 4.37 million in Japan, 2.97 million in America, and 560,000 in Europe.

More disappointing however, Square released their projections for this fiscal year March 2002 - March 2003. According to company president Youichi Wada, Square has no plans to release Final Fantasy XII, nor any GameCube titles during the period. Moreover, he reaffirmed that Square has no plans to support Microsoft's Xbox console. Seemingly, Square is banking on the success of Final Fantasy XI and, as reported yesterday, two spin-offs of Final Fantasy X for the PlayStation 2 to carry them through next spring.

In associated Square news, and despite reports to the contrary, financial officer Yosuke Matsuda revealed that Square hasn't found a buyer for their movie subsidiary. Based in Hawaii, the company produced only one feature film 'Final Fantasy: Spirits Within' before officially closing. According to Matsuda-san, in light of the inability to sell off the entire company, Square has already begun liquidating most of the film subsidiary's equipment to raise capital.

http://www.xengamers.com/sections/news/7542/

Xtopia
05-30-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by highlite23
"DON'T PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET" is this a dumb move by Square??

Square has released their fiscal results for the second half of year, reflecting sales activity from October 2001 - March 2002. As expected, Square's results were deeply impacted by the dismal performance of the company's first feature film 'Final Fantasy: Spirits Within.' Sales during the period were 3.6 billion yen ($29 million), a 51 percent decrease from the same term last year. Software shipments for the year were 7,900,000 units, which breaks down geographically as follows: 4.37 million in Japan, 2.97 million in America, and 560,000 in Europe.

More disappointing however, Square released their projections for this fiscal year March 2002 - March 2003. According to company president Youichi Wada, Square has no plans to release Final Fantasy XII, nor any GameCube titles during the period. Moreover, he reaffirmed that Square has no plans to support Microsoft's Xbox console. Seemingly, Square is banking on the success of Final Fantasy XI and, as reported yesterday, two spin-offs of Final Fantasy X for the PlayStation 2 to carry them through next spring.

In associated Square news, and despite reports to the contrary, financial officer Yosuke Matsuda revealed that Square hasn't found a buyer for their movie subsidiary. Based in Hawaii, the company produced only one feature film 'Final Fantasy: Spirits Within' before officially closing. According to Matsuda-san, in light of the inability to sell off the entire company, Square has already begun liquidating most of the film subsidiary's equipment to raise capital.

http://www.xengamers.com/sections/news/7542/

It may not be square who is making the descisions...Doesn't Sony own quite a bit of square?

Slacker
05-31-2002, 12:06 AM
I hope they go under ,

even though I liked Final Fantasy the movie i thought it was great I think the games suck ass though, and It sucks that it didn't do well because now Studios will be hesitant to make CG movies like that , so now its another decade of Monster Inc and toy story CG ,,,,, great huh

I think sony knows its reign on top of the Hill , is slipping and is pulling some rather awful tactics , like the Bailing out of Rockstar in there legal trouble to aquire GTA for a two year contract and now bailing out Sqauresoft ,,,,,

JohnB
05-31-2002, 12:26 AM
Yea there was a huge thread about this on teamxbox, and well 99% of them want square to go down. and i agree.... squaresoft is making really bad decisions. fatal decisions...