PDA

View Full Version : 1080: White Storm

RadRider
05-31-2002, 01:09 AM
Okay, the first 1080 ****ed me off. It's laughable that they actually tried to market that piece of filth to snowboarders, let alone that most critics raved about it.

Well, this one actually looks different. The graphics have been done up quite nicely this time, it seems as though the damage meter is finally gone, and you can link tricks!

Well, I had to go back and play Amped to reassure myself, being the gigantic snowboard freak I am. You know what? No worries. Sure 1080 has more "sparkle" to it, but it does a lot of things wrong that Amped does right. Take the trees for instance. Would you prefer two-polygon trees or fully rendered, 3d trees? Guess which one Amped has. And the rider animations are just way off in 1080, while Amped does a pretty damn decent job of pulling them off right.
Also, the gameplay looks like classic 1080 style. Narrow pathways, racing down a mountain (literally), only now there are other riders (as in Amped), and you can trigger avalanches. Admittedly you can't actually manipulate the environment in Amped, but Amped isn't a racer, so despite that triggering an avalanche might make a cool jump, the way it's used in 1080 (purely as extra obstacles to dodge around) doesn't really apply to Amped anyway.

I guess that's all I have to say really. I hated the original 1080, and although this one looks to fix a lot of the things the original did wrong, I don't think it'll move me from my precious Amped one bit, especially not when I get to play Amped online!

XBOX MSSC
05-31-2002, 12:13 PM
is this 1080 White Storm or 1080 ?

Nerrad529
05-31-2002, 01:26 PM
1080 stinks I wouldn't take it if it was free

RadRider
05-31-2002, 01:46 PM
1080 White Storm, hence the title of the thread. ;)

l Maximus l
05-31-2002, 03:05 PM
Isn't 1080 Whitestorm going to only be on the GameCube?

Admittingly, I was a fan of the original 1080 on the N64 only because I am an avid snowboarder and skier. But, Amped blows it out of the water especially considering I mainly played 1080's Trick Attack mode. Amped fulfills everything that is lacking in 1080 and is practically tailored to how I like to play Snowboarding games.

I'm a huge fan of Amped and will carry it to the grave...I can't wait until it goes on-line!!! :D

Snoopy7548
05-31-2002, 03:13 PM
the original 1080 was so awesome. i used to play it all the time. the secret characters were so fun to play with and everything:D

RadRider
05-31-2002, 03:23 PM
Yeah 1080: White Storm is GameCube exclusive. It looked pretty good in the press-release and in one or two of the short videos, so I went to play Amped and reassure myself. Hands down, Amped beats 1080 in every regard except for the initial graphical "wow". But, whereas 1080: White Storm is initially appealing, you start to notice graphical and animation flaws as you watch it more and more, whereas Amped gets more beautiful the more you play it. And Amped presents a way more realistic snowboard experience anyway. In Amped you can actually convince yourself that you're riding on the mountain (if it weren't for the stupid score-trackers and stuff in the HUD anyway), whereas 1080: White Storm still maintains that "enclosed between two high cliffs" racer-style feeling.

Carnage
05-31-2002, 03:34 PM
lol remember how sore your thumb used to get playing 1080? heh tryin to pull those tricks off were insane. haha i must have gone through at least 2 N64 controllers solely because of this game :)

You board Radrider? What gear you usin?

l Maximus l
05-31-2002, 03:39 PM
Dudes, I bet that I am unbeatable in 1080's half piple. My score breaks 100,000 points. I can pull off five (sometimes six) grabs in a row and then go up the other side of the half pipe and pull off a 1080 :D

Yes, I was addicted to this game...but, after playing Amped, 1080 is pathetic.

Carnage
05-31-2002, 03:43 PM
heh Max, which char did you use? that gold guy? I usta always be the panda. hehe pulling off those 1 footers gave yah some nice points ;)

l Maximus l
05-31-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Carnage
heh Max, which char did you use? that gold guy? I usta always be the panda. hehe pulling off those 1 footers gave yah some nice points ;)

lol! Oh, dude...that Panda rocked! Being able to front and back flip but appearing to be more of a summersault! lol

Actually, my main man was Tricky Ricky. Damn, that dude got some mean ass air :D

Snoopy7548
05-31-2002, 03:57 PM
dude max!!! we neeeeeed you over at babe thread 2!!!!! its almost dying. at one point, we thought it was over, but casper saved it. we desperately need you! youre our only hope!

RadRider
05-31-2002, 04:42 PM
I board yeah. I've got some new K2 boots from this past christmas. I tell ya, finding size 14 snowboard boots isn't an easy task.
I've got some kind Burton pants, some Ripzone jacket, some kinda crappy lamar bindings that are too small, and a 5 year old Reality Snowboard with a tear in the nose.
My snowboard is a 158, which is wayy to short, and like I said, I need new bindings. I have a good 2 or 3 inches of toe overhang, so I basically gave up on snowboarding until I can afford (or find) new stuff. :D I ride regular with my front foot at about 5-10 degrees, and my back foot at -5 to 0 degrees.

So far I'm looking at a K2 snowboard, the "trucker", 163 long. It's by far the widest board I've heard of to date, but I haven't actually seen one anywhere. I'm not sure what bindings to get yet, I need something that's got a fully adjustable baseplate, and I'd prefer a hard plastic to metal. I've been looking, but I haven't come anywhere near deciding yet.

I'm also thinking of getting a new jacket, but that's going to come down to "if I have the money", since my current jacket works fine. Having to pay for school is a sucky thing. Oh well, it's going to pay huge dividends in the end. :D

Carnage
05-31-2002, 11:50 PM
Size 14s would hang over the edge pretty far wouldnt they? I take it youve got em proped up a bit? half inch or so?
5-10 degrees is pretty straight. You more into piping than free riding?

I just bought myself a new board last summer. Its a Forum - Devon Walsh 158. heh im a pretty small guy (6'0, about 150lbs), so im hopin i wont outgrow this board for a couple years :)

Bindings: Ride Preston LX. You might wanna take a look at em. theyre hard plastic. fairly adjustable.. mm cost me around... 200$ CDN

Boots: Burton Faders. heh i love em. They fit my feet perfectly :p

I ride regular as well. 15 degree incline on my front foot. 0 degree on back. I prefer powder over pipe anyday :)
heh sickest trick ive pulled was a frontside 540 with a bit of a grab (heh for the extra balance ;) ). I hurt myself pretty badly on it though. landed waaayy too heavy on my tail, and spun out. Landing fakey is still pretty tough for me :D

I bet theyve got some nice runs up at Banff. *drools*
Best resort around here is Blue Mountain in Collingwood; which is about a 3 hour drive from where i live.