PDA

View Full Version : MMORPG Thought

Felon
05-31-2002, 01:30 AM
So Galaxies is comming to the box. This game I imagine will have a lot of the same features as EQ I would imagine. In Eq the have several different chat options such as Auction, Shout, OOC...ect. How would these games handle auction situations? In EQ certain zones are designated "auction" zones. I cant see how tons of people all trying to sell their goods at the same time will work with head set communicators. It would end up being like the tower of Babyl. This also applies to EQ fer PS2. I dont see how they plan on making this facet of the game work. 1/2 of the greatest thing about MMORPGs is seeing how the economy builds and changes throughout the game.:rolleyes:

Dre
05-31-2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Felon
So Galaxies is comming to the box. This game I imagine will have a lot of the same features as EQ I would imagine. In Eq the have several different chat options such as Auction, Shout, OOC...ect. How would these games handle auction situations? In EQ certain zones are designated "auction" zones. I cant see how tons of people all trying to sell their goods at the same time will work with head set communicators. It would end up being like the tower of Babyl. This also applies to EQ fer PS2. I dont see how they plan on making this facet of the game work. 1/2 of the greatest thing about MMORPGs is seeing how the economy builds and changes throughout the game.:rolleyes:

I don't see why the auction has to be voice-enabled. It seems like the obvious solution would be to have a menu driven system for this sort of thing.

Felon
05-31-2002, 09:00 AM
I thought of Menu also, however, that would seem rather tedious with constant price changes

Dre
05-31-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Felon
I thought of Menu also, however, that would seem rather tedious with constant price changes

It all depends on the implementation.. maybe you could specify bid increments, or a max value you wish to bid, etc... I think with a bit of ingenuity they could get a useable and practical working interface for this sort of thing