PDA

View Full Version : Are Time Exclusives just as good as "XBOX ONLY" ??

Highlite23
06-01-2002, 10:19 AM
I noticed in this months OXM (8) that Dead to Rights was a "Time Exclusive" title.

What this meens, in case you don't know...It will be released on XBOX 1st and 4 months later (Lenght varys) it will be released to another platform.

Would getting hot titles first be the next best thing to "XBOX ONLY"??

I think the majority of us do agree that "ONLY" is what we need more of, but i wouldn't mind being the launch console, if you will, for "some" games.

And a interesting little fact that came up in OXM...with some of these games with "TIME EXCLUSIVITY" being developed from the ground up on XBOX, the ports are most likelly going to mediocre at best.

Not such a bad thing...........Toss in your 2 cents please!!

Xbox Owner
06-01-2002, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure. But practiclly alot of are "Exclusives" have went to a different systems or pc:

Wreckless
Halo is going to the PC
RAW is going to PC

We need to start getting like some REAL exclusives. I mean, it's on the PC, which could still slow xbox sales down..:(

faceoff508
06-01-2002, 10:48 AM
I know!! PS2 gets our messed up ports!!

robnyack
06-01-2002, 11:37 AM
i am sure making a game for the xbox first and then later it's ported to ps2 and GC makes for a much better xbox game.

BTW, I heard "Batman, Dark Tomorrow", which was a big GC exclusive is now going to be on the xbox. cool :D

wweomaniac
06-01-2002, 11:52 AM
Especially dead to rights. This game looks so cool that every console will want it. You can use enemies as your sheild... crouch against walls, use bullet time and so much more.

That and morrowind should be the two next games I'm getting.

Veno
06-01-2002, 11:56 AM
Imo Microsoft is making a very unintelligent move by letting it being ported to the pc. Right now Halo is the only thing that's getting people to buy an xbox. Once that's gone? You'll get 1/4 of the sales you could have. Seriously though, this move could put xbox as the next dreamcast.

robnyack
06-01-2002, 01:18 PM
Right now Halo is the only thing that's getting people to buy an xbox. Once that's gone? You'll get 1/4 of the sales you could have.

note to self.....if ever in need of a marketing strategist, do NOT call veno.

greggp666
06-01-2002, 03:19 PM
note to self.....if ever in need of a marketing strategist, do NOT call veno.

HAHAHAHAHAHA:p

anyway its a good thing that we get time-exclusives first so we can all laugh at the crappy ports .everyone eles can have our sloppy seconds.

ROB nyack ny ? if so im from pomona ny .cool another rockland kid.:)

robnyack
06-01-2002, 03:24 PM
hey greg...yep, Rob from Nyack, NY.

we are practically neighbors. cool.

Xbox takes over Rockland County!

Xtopia
06-01-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Veno
Imo Microsoft is making a very unintelligent move by letting it being ported to the pc. Right now Halo is the only thing that's getting people to buy an xbox. Once that's gone? You'll get 1/4 of the sales you could have. Seriously though, this move could put xbox as the next dreamcast.

Bungie has not, to my knowledge, officially announced that Halo is going to the PC. Yes, they have hinted, and it may eventually, but that will be MANY years down the road.

TEA
06-01-2002, 05:44 PM
Time Xclusives are good but we need more Xbox Xclusive only.The more Xbox Xclusive games ported to PC lets Outsiders invade our games.(GTA3 ported to PC lets Xbox owners that wanted GTA3 on Xbox but what R* did to MS still lets them get a feel of what GTA3 could've beeen on Xbox)I say let Ms be greedy Mofo's let NOONe and not even PC get Xbox Xclusive gamees thats what makes a 75% choice of a system is Xclusive games.If every system had the exact games and no Xclusives then it wouldn't really matter what system you choose b/c every system has the same game and there would really be a need just to make one system instead of 3 and 4.My 2 cents.:) :cool:

PROUDXBOXOWNER
06-01-2002, 05:50 PM
i dont agree wid ur 2 cents man.i mean graphical ability does mean something.try max payne on ps2 and then on xbox.it's true that we need more exclusives but it does'nt mean that we should'nt get the ports..

TEA
06-01-2002, 05:54 PM
Graphix do make a difference,but Xclusives make the real big difference and is like 40% of most people's choicee on the system.

GRAVEDIGGER
06-01-2002, 10:31 PM
I can see both of your views, but in retrospect i think that "Time Exclusives" are'nt really a good thing, but i do not object on us getting ports from other consoles, well not all ports..just some, because some ports are just plain awful(Batman Vengeance).

Untill next time...:mad:

BCan
06-01-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Xtopia

Bungie has not, to my knowledge, officially announced that Halo is going to the PC. Yes, they have hinted, and it may eventually, but that will be MANY years down the road.

Microsoft has the rights to Halo, not Bungie, they only in the end developed the game. MS made sure to end up with the rights as the prestige launch title.

MS hinted at E3 that they will soon bring Halo across to the PC, along with a few new tricks added to the original Halo game.

I think the days of where there is platform exclusivity are over, software developers have to adopt a multi-platform launch of titles. Only launch titles are more likely than not to be platform exclusives. To have a couple of months over the competition to show off the capabilities of BOTH the game and CONSOLE before the PS2 or GC get a look at it will give a direct comparison in the way the game looks and plays. There is more of a chance of the XBOX getting a better name this way when people are able to compare titles released on all platforms.
As a company, you aren't making the smartest move by upsetting the market leader in PC software, who would soon enough hire a software team to develop a title made sure to make the game not bought to the XBOX look useless....
People will go "How do we know what the XBOX can do if they don't have an XBOX version of Game X?" When that game may look or play great on a PS2 or GC, the technological power of the XBOX will usually make it look better, you won't lose gameplay by porting it across platforms.
My personal opinion is that the longer the XBOX is out, the more choice there is for people to buy quality games for it, so if by Xmas there is no PC port of Halo, no doubt the game people will buy with a new XBOX will be one like Knights of the Old Republic or Star Wars Galaxies, rather than Halo. There are those now that are motorsports nuts who'd prefer to get Moto GP: URT with a new XBOX rather than Halo.
Think about the Xmas rush for Star Wars merchandise, there is both of those games, along with the proposed launch of Attack of the Clones on DVD by then too.

Hugh_Jass
06-01-2002, 11:16 PM
Time exclusives are better than nothing. A game is hottest when it's new. Six months later nobody cares.

TEA
06-02-2002, 12:58 AM
I agree with Bcan and Hugh Jass on some points but I still believe Xclusives make the most of the systems.Hugh jass is right a few months later nobody really cares for the game xcept the people who own the platform the game is just being relased on.The hype isn't there with ports b/c the game has been released and its like old but new news.;)

Hugh_Jass
06-02-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by TEA
I agree with Bcan and Hugh Jass on some points but I still believe Xclusives make the most of the systems.

Absolutely. Given the choice, I would much rather have 300 exclusive titles at E3.

PROUDXBOXOWNER
06-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

Absolutely. Given the choice, I would much rather have 300 exclusive titles at E3.
i guess everybody would.

TEA
06-03-2002, 01:56 AM
If xbox was made of all ports there would be no need to get a Xbox then Just for Graphical Betterness(LOL@Sp).Xclusives make every system GTA3,MGS2 and other Ps Fav.s-PS2 Mario,Metroid and other N64/NEs/SNEs characters-GC, Mature &New different games -Xbox KOOl Now you make the choice on which is better;)