PDA

View Full Version : What equipment??

m0bster
06-01-2002, 11:27 AM
I just got the XBox and am LOVING it! I am definitely going to get XBox Live Starter Kit when it comes out...my question is, what other equipment will I need to buy to enjoy this online? Im not up to par on how to go about getting connected...can someone explain to a newb how this is going to work? I searched the threads, but didnt find any info.

Thanks in advance!

robnyack
06-01-2002, 11:33 AM
all you will need is a broadband internet connection (cable modem or dsl is most people's options).

Once the Xbox Live kit comes out you will buy that. That will inclue the xbox communicator and a year's subscription to Live.

That is pretty much it!

m0bster
06-01-2002, 11:36 AM
OK...I have broadband with a cable modem...will the xbox connect to the PC? Will I need a router or hub? That is my prblem, I cant figure out how this is gonna connect...

robnyack
06-01-2002, 11:40 AM
If you have your broadband line connected to your pc, you will need a hub so you can have your broadband to use for your pc and your xbox.

hubs are pretty simple. Not a big deal to set up. I guess if you were totally petrified of anything technical, you could always just unplug your pc from your modem and plug in your xbox when you want to do xbox live and visa versa, but again, a hub is not difficult.

wweomaniac
06-01-2002, 11:46 AM
yeah, I bet you'll need to buy a hub. But don't worry, they're really cheap. its either you buy a hub or you can connect it directly through to your cable modem.

You might possibly be able to use the dual nic trick... it works in connecting a network up with crossover cables...

But don't worry, nics only cost like $10 and you can buy a hub for $40. Even cheaper off ebay. Don't even worry about it being used since all youre going to be using it for is xbox live. Hope that helps.

m0bster
06-01-2002, 02:06 PM
thanks guys...that is exactly what I needed to know!

CRAIG123
06-01-2002, 02:18 PM
will you ned some rj 45 cables??

PROUDXBOXOWNER
06-01-2002, 06:00 PM
what are rj45 cables???can some one post a pic?

Frink
06-01-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by PROUDXBOXOWNER
what are rj45 cables???can some one post a pic? Cat 5 cables. The ones that fit in the Ethernet port in your XBox.

E-Xbox
06-01-2002, 07:31 PM
ooh...
i cant wait for xbox live...
i got my broadband...and a hub..
and some cat 5 cables...
YAY!!!

peace

GRAVEDIGGER
06-01-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by m0bster
thanks guys...that is exactly what I needed to know!

Welcome to XBA mobster...as you've already seen by the resposes from to your thread, that you've entered the best XBOX site on the net, with the greatest users...enjoy.

Untill next time...:mad:

BCan
06-01-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by professor_frink
Cat 5 cables. The ones that fit in the Ethernet port in your XBox.

RJ 45's are basically the size of the end pieces to put it into perspective, and CAT-5 is what standard or quality the cables are built to, rather than a type of cable. You can get CAT-1 cables too, it's just that CAT-5 are the quality you need to have a stable network..

Personally for those with a PC, XBOX and cable modem, best to get a hub or switch, no need for a router, that is overkill. Just use some ordinary network cables to connect them all. All you might need to do is to make sure that if you have a firewalled switch, or a software firewall on the PC, you will need to open up the port for the XBOX to get out, check at xbconnect.com for that one.

CRAIG123
06-02-2002, 07:22 AM
do you need a network card??

robnyack
06-02-2002, 07:56 AM
for your xbox all you need is broadband (cable or dsl) and the xbox live startup kit. xbox has taken care of everything else for you.

honest.

I'm even willing to bet they include the needed cables in the startup kit.

CRAIG123
06-02-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by robnyack
for your xbox all you need is broadband (cable or dsl) and the xbox live startup kit. xbox has taken care of everything else for you.

honest.

so your saying you wont even need a hub???

E-Xbox
06-02-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by robnyack

honest.

i dont think theyll include like a bunch of cat 5 cables...
they might...
but for 50 usd..
ur gettin a voice communicator
12 months of xbox live service
and revolt...an online racing game.....

so thats a pretty good deal...

peace

xboxman_1
06-02-2002, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know how to connect the xbox online right now using a DSL router? I had a hub, but my uncle said I wouldn't need it because i have DSL, so i sold it to my friend.