PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite FPS ever and why?

dave_m123
06-02-2002, 07:56 PM
So come on everyone spill the beans :).

wweomaniac
06-02-2002, 08:04 PM
truthfully its Halo b/c I rock at it. 90% head shots.. I usually use sniper or pistol. Mainly pistol i guess. I play against my friends who have xbox and halo and always win at xbox parties. I'm very patient and they're never able to spot me. I never camp b/c thats an easy way to get killed. I just plain kick ass.

I've played fps's on the pc like all the r6, quake 2 and 3, castlevania, op flashpoint and deus ex. They were all fun but I never got too good at them. Especially at Q3... how the hell r ppl so good at q 3? Its way to fast for me now after playing halo. But its prolly b/c i never took the time to practice while playing q3. I always went directly to online play and got my ass whooped and learned nothing. So in the end.. its how good I am at a game that determines how much I like it.

CodeMonkey
06-02-2002, 08:06 PM
umm, can this include pc games?
if so, i enjoyed Medal of honour...Why, umm, the graphics where top, it was somthing new, some of the levels are the best ive ever seen..

half-life, another great game.

unreal t, which is great for MP

and of course Halo.......nuff said

but there are so many come to think of it.
:D

CodeMonkey
06-02-2002, 08:16 PM
oh and dont forget
Return to Castle Wolfenstein, another great game..so many

sorry for the double post

GRAVEDIGGER
06-02-2002, 08:20 PM
In all honesty my favorite FPS would have to be HALO, because before Halo i really didnt like FPS. It revolutionized the way people moved around with its unique gameplay style and control scheme. And it incoporates a good of strategy into its gamplay, not just point and shoot like past FPS. And finally it was just plain fun, and got my mind off of waiting for RARE to make a miraculous comeback with the 007 franchise:rolleyes:

Untill next time...:mad:

dave_m123
06-02-2002, 08:25 PM
Halo becuase:

Good AI
Top notch graphics which have outdone anything released on the PC.
Good atmospheric music and excellent sound effects (love the alien grunts when they speak) :D
Good realism i like the idea of only 2 weapons. PLaying soldier of fortune 2 which is supposed to be realistic yet it seems i was carrying at least 2 tons of weapons :D.
Top controls which i expected would be bad but they are really good.
Good story and very good voice acting (more so than normal games)
Good use of vehicles which arent just gimmicks like they would be in some games.
Good transitions from 1st to 3rd person and vice versa and indoor to outdoor areas.

Other decent games i would include would be Half Life and Medal of Honour. Jedi Knight 2 is fun when you get to be all Jedi :D.

wweomaniac
06-02-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by dave_m123
Halo becuase:

Good AI
Top notch graphics which have outdone anything released on the PC.
Good atmospheric music and excellent sound effects (love the alien grunts when they speak) :D
Good realism i like the idea of only 2 weapons. PLaying soldier of fortune 2 which is supposed to be realistic yet it seems i was carrying at least 2 tons of weapons :D.
Top controls which i expected would be bad but they are really good.
Good story and very good voice acting (more so than normal games)
Good use of vehicles which arent just gimmicks like they would be in some games.
Good transitions from 1st to 3rd person and vice versa and indoor to outdoor areas.

Other decent games i would include would be Half Life and Medal of Honour. Jedi Knight 2 is fun when you get to be all Jedi :D.

Halo:
Single player sucked
Story good (like it matters)
graphics OK
Sound OK
Multiplayer rocks
I rock <--- the deciding factor

dave_m123
06-02-2002, 09:03 PM
Oh well each to his own i suppose.

CodeMonkey
06-02-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac

Halo:
Single player sucked
graphics OK
Sound OK
Multiplayer rocks

WOW dude, was u smoking anyillegal substance that comatosed u when u was playing it

jk

Shorezy
06-02-2002, 09:12 PM
Halo:eek:

E-Vader
06-02-2002, 09:38 PM
Half Life, Opposing Force and Blue Shift.

Just awsome to play, Graphics for its age are holding up well, the sound is just fantastic and gameplay I keep going back for more.

PSYCH0 GUY
06-02-2002, 10:15 PM
counter-strike for pc is the best FPS of all time by far i think

Hugh_Jass
06-02-2002, 10:26 PM
Dark Forces on the PC.

It captured the feeling of the Star Wars universe and didn't pollute the gameplay with Jedi powers or light sabers.

LynxFX
06-02-2002, 10:28 PM
For single player it is a tie between the original Half Life and Halo. For multiplayer it is a tie between UT Assault and Counter Strike. Q2 XCTF is a runner up.

hook-worm J
06-02-2002, 10:36 PM
Single player would have to be Halo... But before Xbox it would be Perfect Dark for the N64, man I loved that game. But for multiplayer it would be Day of Defeat (a WWII mod for Half-life), I absolutely love it.

Young_Fledgling
06-02-2002, 11:30 PM
counter-strike for pc all the way.

Knight
06-02-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
Dark Forces on the PC.

It captured the feeling of the Star Wars universe and didn't pollute the gameplay with Jedi powers or light sabers.

Jedi Outcast is better!!

Young_Fledgling
06-02-2002, 11:44 PM
ya jedi outcast is better.....

AND LIGHTSABERS RULE! i would do anything to have one.

LynxFX
06-03-2002, 12:35 AM
I loved the original Dark Forces. I just got DKII and havent' tried it yet.

y2kash_14
06-03-2002, 01:02 AM
Goldeneye 007 for N64

MidniteArrow
06-03-2002, 01:24 AM
I am amazed that no one has mentioned Tribes (both 1 and 2). IMO: Tribes is the best FPS ever created. It's by far the only one I've ever played where personal talent and capability are absolutely vital to being able to succeed. Team tactics also seem to play a much larger role in Tribes than any of the other FPS games I've played.

ftyards
06-03-2002, 09:36 AM
Counter-strike

LynxFX
06-03-2002, 11:05 AM
I don't know why but I tried and tried but could never get into Tribes. It just wasn't that much fun to me, although the game was quite inventive. Just not my cup of tea.

Ninja Scroll
06-03-2002, 11:13 AM
Favorite FPS ever? Halo! Why? Cause before Halo I have always hated ALL FPS. Not saying it's a favorite gerne of mine now, but I will say this game won me over.
Pure classic. Best Xbox game to date.:cool:

SkoalMint
06-03-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
Favorite FPS ever? Halo! Why? Cause before Halo I have always hated ALL FPS. Not saying it's a favorite gerne of mine now, but I will say this game won me over.
Pure classic. Best Xbox game to date.:cool:

I agree. I never really care for FPS's before. I wouldn't say that I'm an FPS convert, bud I do love Halo.

silvertrace
06-03-2002, 11:25 AM
since its "my favorite fps of all-time" i gotta go with Goldeneye ~N64~, just because it laid the foundation for all the fps that i would love in the future.......the single player game obviously kicked a$$, and the multiplayer was a great way to pass time w/friends..............

ahhhhhhhh, first one to get oddjob was the champ, Good Times...........:D :) :D :) :D

Xtopia
06-03-2002, 11:33 AM
Before Xbox: Goldeneye for 64

After 64: HALO!

Halo is by far the best FPS. Oh, and BTW, wweomanic, I would own you Halo. You would be my women, and you would like it!:cool:

silvertrace
06-03-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Xtopia

Halo is by far the best FPS. Oh, and BTW, wweomanic, I would own you Halo. You would be my women, and you would like it!:cool:

i agree that Halo is the best fps, heck, its the best game IMO, but i wonder how into it i would have been if Goldeneye hadn't stolen away countless hours of my life.........

btw, i'd make both of u my b!tches:rolleyes:

Xtopia
06-03-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by silvertrace

i agree that Halo is the best fps, heck, its the best game IMO, but i wonder how into it i would have been if Goldeneye hadn't stolen away countless hours of my life.........

Yes, I see what you mean. And I agree.

btw, i'd make both of u my b!tches:rolleyes:

Once again, I agree. But I could own up on wweomaniac! He would not stand a chance! ;)

silvertrace
06-03-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Xtopia

Once again, I agree. But I could own up on wweomaniac! He would not stand a chance! ;)

i'm sure u could whip up on him, us xbc peeps gotta stick together:cool:

i would be willing to take you under my wing and make u my padawan learner;)

jk d00d, stay on-topic, don't wanna turn this into a chit talk thread, there are plenty of those already.......:rolleyes:

Xtopia
06-03-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by silvertrace

i'm sure u could whip up on him, us xbc peeps gotta stick together:cool:

i would be willing to take you under my wing and make u my padawan learner;)

jk d00d, stay on-topic, don't wanna turn this into a chit talk thread, there are plenty of those already.......:rolleyes:

LoL, true, true.

thedrisc
06-03-2002, 12:20 PM
DOOM!!!!!!

that’s my all time fav!!! Man that was the first networked first person shooter I ever played. i was so addicted to it. When my boss would leave the office everyone would find a station and we would have a frag fest. what good times.

top 5 would be

1. DOOM

2. Duke Nukem ( the shrink weapon was so cool. everyone would stop killing each other to step on the shrunk person )

3. Halo ( can't wait for second version on xbox live)

4. Heretic ( turning people into chickens was a blast)

5. Hexen

X-Ray
06-03-2002, 01:50 PM
Because of on-line (well system link anyway) play for a console shooter over broad band and an excellent single-player mode I rule HALO

PROUDXBOXOWNER
06-03-2002, 02:01 PM
i would say one but its too hard so i have two choices on the top first is unreal tournament for pc and then halo on xbox.

JimmieDoogan
06-03-2002, 03:24 PM
SOF and SOF II. I think absolutely every game where you shoot someone should be this bloody and gorey. There is no excuse as to why MOHAA shouldn't be this bloody or worse. What are they trying to say here? People don't really get hurt in war, they just drop dead all nice and dandy like. Please, PEOPLE DIE IN WAR AND THEIR FACES ARE BLOWN OUT AND THEIR ARMS ARE BLOWN OFF AND THEIR GUTS HANG OUT! Thats how it really is. Why shouldn't they put it in every game where you shoot someone. Imagine Max Payne blowing someone's brains out as little pieces of gray matter and red splotches fly through the air in slow motion. WHY THE HELL NOT! BTW for anyone who's never played SOF, don't bother with it now that SOF II is out. OMG I can't believe how smeekin bloody this game is!

Xbox Owner
06-03-2002, 03:41 PM
halo..because its halo

Xtopia
06-03-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by XBox Owner
halo..because its halo

Uhhh...Ok.:rolleyes:

Alien
06-03-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by XBox Owner
halo..because its halo That's my answer to. To describe Halo, and how wonderful it is.....you need to write a three page report or something.

dave_m123
06-03-2002, 05:23 PM
Forgot the greatness that is Unreal Tournament

chili325
06-03-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by CodeMonkey
umm, can this include pc games?
if so, i enjoyed Medal of honour...Why, umm, the graphics where top, it was somthing new, some of the levels are the best ive ever seen..

half-life, another great game.

unreal t, which is great for MP

and of course Halo.......nuff said

but there are so many come to think of it.
:D Big fan of castle wolfenstien myself, such a fun game.

chili325
06-03-2002, 05:25 PM
oops wrong qoute. sorry.

UltimateAg
06-03-2002, 05:26 PM
In chronological order.

Doom, Spec Ops, Golden Eye, Rainbow Six, Half Life, now HALO.

I had the most fun on Golden Eye by far because of the all-nighters with friends. In fact, I quit my job one summer because it was getting in the way of our Golden Eye parties. :D You have to have your priorities.

shpankey
06-03-2002, 05:53 PM
Hmm... for their time and not "overall" I would say these, in this order...

1. Quake II
2. Rainbow Six
3. Halo
4. Unreal
5. Medal of Honor: AA

E-Vader
06-03-2002, 08:33 PM
I'd have to say the Thief series also, the atmosphere that those games provided were just amazing.

"I see you taffer"

Kortiz
06-03-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac

Halo:
Single player sucked
graphics OK
Sound OK
Multiplayer rocks

LICK MY CHODE FOOL!

YOU GOIN DOWN WHEN XBOX LIVE COMES OUT!

"nerd"

Frink
06-03-2002, 10:29 PM
I would probably say Halo. With all the trash talk in here I have to say something, "I, Professor Frink, suck at Halo." I do(Steel Viper can vouch for that). I am not very good at all. But, to tell you the truth, I don't care. It is fun and well, that's all that matters.

Nerrad529
06-03-2002, 11:54 PM
Perfect dark for n64 and halo for xbox

TIME
06-04-2002, 12:24 AM
In order of my all time favorites...console only:

Halo
Perfect Dark
Golden Eye
Turok 2

I could talk about graphics, enemy AI, immersion factor, etc., But it all comes down to multiplayer fun. Gamespy Halo matches have been well worth the price of the game all by themselves.

Hugh_Jass
06-04-2002, 12:46 PM
I didn't include Thief because I don't consider it an FPS. I consider Thief to be a game of stealth and strategy.

SpartanSniper
06-05-2002, 04:12 AM
Halo rules. It always has and it always will. Perfect game in every way. Great job Bungie! It has Great graphics, controls, and gameplay, but these are surpassed only by the AWESOME soundtrack and PERFECT plot/storyline.

Halo of Flies
06-05-2002, 04:45 AM
Half-life's still no.1 for me... it gave FPS's such a kick up the arse.

E-Vader
06-05-2002, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
I didn't include Thief because I don't consider it an FPS. I consider Thief to be a game of stealth and strategy.

FPS First Person Simulator.

hehe.

tWoTOMA
06-05-2002, 09:08 AM
My favorite on a console is Halo. No other FPS has as good graphics and definately sound. Everything in Halo is perfect with the exception of no bots in multiplayer. I also enjoyed the new control style.

My favorite on PC is Deus Ex. I like the interactivity in the game. It is almost a FPRPG. I can't wait for DX2 on Xbox.

That being said, my favorite of all time is Halo. I was never a huge fan of mouse+keyboard control, it seems kind of cheap to me, I can't really pout my finger on why though. Also, DX was fun to play, but was lacking in graphics, which we all know Halo is not. Also, Halo's sound, especially with Dolby 5.1, blows any other game out of the water.

spliffdUP
06-05-2002, 03:25 PM
Halo cause before that I didnt really like any FPS.

thorpe420
06-05-2002, 11:03 PM
1. Halo
2. MOHAA
3. Half Life
4. Soldier Of Fortune
5. Unreal Tournament

vic2003
06-06-2002, 12:08 AM
i say df2/dflw is the fps i had the most fun with. nothing is more rewarding then playing an online sniper game with only a few players on a huge outdoor map, searching for the perfect sniping spot, waiting and searcing for your enemy through your scope of your rifle, finding and killing your enemy from 600m away with a single shot, all the while the whole process taking 1/2 hour for a single kill, your enemy dident know what hit him. or playing a attack and deffend game with a team of about 10 vs 10. but i love halo also.

SpartanSniper
06-06-2002, 02:36 AM
Here is my list.....
[list=1]
Halo
GoldenEye 007
Half-life
Unreal Tournament
[/list=1]