PDA

View Full Version : Xbox clock ?

hook-worm J
06-03-2002, 12:56 AM
Yesterday there was some high winds and the power went on and off about 5 times. My Xbox wasn't on, but it was plugged in. So after about 5 power on and offs, I decided to unplug my Xbox. It is plugged into a power strip type thing, its not a surge protector, I just use it for an extension to an outlet, and so I can plug a couple more things into it. Anyway, the power finally went out and stayed out for about 4 hours, when it came on again and the storm was gone, I plugged it in. I turned it on to play a little Halo and I had to reset the clock again.

So I concluded that there was not a battery on the Xbox motherboard like in PC's to keep the clock set right. However, today there was another big storm. There is a little switch on that power strip to cut the power off to whatever is connected to it. So I decided to just hit that switch instead of unplug the Xbox. I checked the stuff that was connected to the power strip, and non of them worked, so that means that there was no power going to any of them, including the Xbox.

So the storm went by and the power didn't go off once during the entire thing... So after it was gone I flipped that little switch to supply power to the Xbox, ect. When I turned on the Xbox it didn't ask me to set the time, so I went into the settings and the clock was on the correct time. How can this be? I had no power the day before and I had to reset the clock, I turned off the power to it today and I didn't have to reset it... Someone fill me in here.

omg what a lot of typing for such a simple question...

TEA
06-03-2002, 01:23 AM
Strange Thing.Your Xbox is living.Twilight Zone :Evil Laugh::cool:

manhole
06-03-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by hook-worm J
Yesterday there was some high winds and the power went on and off about 5 times. My Xbox wasn't on, but it was plugged in. So after about 5 power on and offs, I decided to unplug my Xbox. It is plugged into a power strip type thing, its not a surge protector, I just use it for an extension to an outlet, and so I can plug a couple more things into it. Anyway, the power finally went out and stayed out for about 4 hours, when it came on again and the storm was gone, I plugged it in. I turned it on to play a little Halo and I had to reset the clock again.

So I concluded that there was not a battery on the Xbox motherboard like in PC's to keep the clock set right. However, today there was another big storm. There is a little switch on that power strip to cut the power off to whatever is connected to it. So I decided to just hit that switch instead of unplug the Xbox. I checked the stuff that was connected to the power strip, and non of them worked, so that means that there was no power going to any of them, including the Xbox.

So the storm went by and the power didn't go off once during the entire thing... So after it was gone I flipped that little switch to supply power to the Xbox, ect. When I turned on the Xbox it didn't ask me to set the time, so I went into the settings and the clock was on the correct time. How can this be? I had no power the day before and I had to reset the clock, I turned off the power to it today and I didn't have to reset it... Someone fill me in here.

omg what a lot of typing for such a simple question...

The XBox 'does' have a battery in it, like a PC's motherboard. But the system is designed to reset after power is disconnected for a certain amount of time (not sure exactly how many hours). This is not a flaw with your XBox, it's like this on all of them.

hook-worm J
06-03-2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by manhole

The XBox 'does' have a battery in it, like a PC's motherboard. But the system is designed to reset after power is disconnected for a certain amount of time (not sure exactly how many hours). This is not a flaw with your XBox, it's like this on all of them.

Alright, thanks!

GokuX
06-03-2002, 02:33 AM
If there is a storm, you don't want to flip the switch on the powerstrip if you're leaving it plugged into the wall because power could probably still go through the strip if there was a huge surge. The best thing to do is unplug the whole surge protector. It's best not to take any chances during storms.

CodeMonkey
06-03-2002, 10:03 AM
Yeah there’s a battery in the Xbox, and its a case of the more you play, the longer you can leave it unplugged before the clock needs resetting...a bit like a rechargeable battery..

:D

dave_m123
06-03-2002, 10:10 AM
I've noticed that if mine is unplugged for like 6 hours or more the time has to be reset when i plug it back in and turn it on. Would have thought they would use a better battery than that.

Xbox Masta 4
06-03-2002, 10:11 AM
Monkey I seen your sig, but sorry I just wanted to say that I liked it, and hook worm yours is pretty funny! Anyway, yeah this has happend to me only a few times when I unplug the xbox, yeah when you leave it in you don't need to, but like if you moved it or something, it's gonna thinks its new, or the time has changed so it asks you that. Well like a pc you don't unplug it at all, and you do for the xbox! So yeah...:D :)

OppiumNitrates
06-03-2002, 10:26 AM
Complimentary Metal-Oxide Semi-conductor or CMOS

Snoopy7548
06-03-2002, 05:05 PM
did anyone hear about this thing, a while back. that someone said that theres an "easter egg" within the xbox, and it like comes on depending on how long you've had your xbox? i remember reading something like that a while ago

Young_Fledgling
06-03-2002, 05:09 PM
i doubt that "easter egg" is true snoop .... the only one i have heard is if u do something u see the credits for it or something.

chili325
06-03-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by manhole

The XBox 'does' have a battery in it, like a PC's motherboard. But the system is designed to reset after power is disconnected for a certain amount of time (not sure exactly how many hours). This is not a flaw with your XBox, it's like this on all of them. Is anyone aware of a reason why microsoft would have created this reset thing? Maybe it is to conserve battery, but it really can be obnoxios after a lot of moving the box.

CodeMonkey
06-03-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by chili325
Is anyone aware of a reason why microsoft would have created this reset thing? Maybe it is to conserve battery, but it really can be obnoxios after a lot of moving the box.

I think its because of us, the consumer. just think when the battery life ends, u will need to send it off to have it replaced, which would cost a fair bit....
but having a battery that charges the more u play it a good thing. IMO is a good idea..

:D