PDA

View Full Version : Why so many ports??

Woocifer
06-03-2002, 12:28 PM
Other than the 'incubation' stage is still in effect with the Xbox, would seem unrealistic to think that the reason why there are so many crappy lookin ports coming over to the Xbox is because it is so easy to program for?

By this I mean its a very versatile platform to be ported to because of the dev kits and the familiar architecture of a pc. Why wouldn't a programmer or developer focus on making the games for the more difficult systems and then bow out when it comes to doin the Xbox version by quickly making a dirty port of it. Costs much less, is quick and easy, no worry of redoing anything... it's a snap for the developer.

So could this be a problem? Because the Xbox is easy to port to it will basically turn into a giant pile of PS2 throwbacks? Makes no sense...but you think this might be the case?

I realise there are exclusives...but you'd think there would be more original titles for some of the more important franchises...

silvertrace
06-03-2002, 12:30 PM
i've been ranting and raving about xbox getting port after port, and i totally agree with u........

makes no sense to keep gettin pos2's hand me downs when we're rollin with the best console on the market:rolleyes:

Knight
06-03-2002, 12:41 PM
The list of ports:

Test Drive = Crap
Commandos 2 = Crap
Prisoner of War = ?
Splashdown
Tetris Worlds = Crap
Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2 = Crap
Street Hoops = Crap
Madden NFL 2003 = EA Crap
Turok Evolution = Crap
Dead to Rights = The Xbox version looks like a ps2 game
Time Splitters 2 = Crap
And there's more!!

Knight
06-03-2002, 12:48 PM
Hey silvertrace you play pc games??

silvertrace
Originally posted by Joe Dredd
Knight's posts = crap

do us a favor, don't come in here with under 30 posts tellin us what is crap.........:rolleyes:

if u don't like what people have to say, don't reply

:)n00b :)

Knight
Joe Dredd = Crap

silvertrace
06-03-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Knight
Hey silvertrace you play pc games??

send a pm, try to keep the thread on its main topic, gotta keep order b4 the purpose of the thread is lost:cool:

Knight
06-03-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by silvertrace

send a pm, try to keep the thread on its main topic, gotta keep order b4 the purpose of the thread is lost:cool:

Ok

Knight
06-03-2002, 12:53 PM
What do you think about the ports of pc games the XBox is getting?? Some are good some are you know!!

Kooster
06-03-2002, 12:54 PM
wow...you guys sure showed me :rolleyes: (hope the sarcasm isn't lost on ya)

EDIT - Ok Hotshot. I'll be good :) woops, i pulled out my post because silvertrace beat me to it.

silvertrace
06-03-2002, 12:57 PM
wow...you guys sure showed me :rolleyes: (hope the sarcasm isn't lost on ya)

EDIT - Ok Hotshot. I'll be good :)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

*silver wonder if a certain village is missing its IDIOT :confused:

Ninja Scroll
06-03-2002, 01:45 PM
Anyways, back to da topic at hand, Ninja's gonna make this answer short & sweet.
It doesnt matter if the Xbox is the better console, nothing matters when it comes to spec numbers. It's all about milking out a hit title from one console to another.
Case in point-Capcom, masters of porting games from console to console, generation to generation.
It's about the mighty dollar, and whatever it takes a company to bring home da bacon they will do.
Just something we all gotta live with.
btw, you dont see Microsoft complaining do you?

.........wait a minute, this post wasnt short.. but it was 2 sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!:cool:

Spaztic
06-03-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
Anyways, back to da topic at hand, Ninja's gonna make this answer short & sweet.
It doesnt matter if the Xbox is the better console, nothing matters when it comes to spec numbers. It's all about milking out a hit title from one console to another.
Case in point-Capcom, masters of porting games from console to console, generation to generation.
It's about the mighty dollar, and whatever it takes a company to bring home da bacon they will do.
Just something we all gotta live with.
btw, you dont see Microsoft complaining do you?

.........wait a minute, this post wasnt short.. but it was 2 sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!:cool:

Ninja sucessfully kills thread!
And games being crap is in the eye of the beholder....but I do agree with yall for the most part, they are crap!

Woocifer
06-03-2002, 04:52 PM
Well I wasn't really bringing this to light due to the 'crap'ness of the games...there's a lot of crap in this thread though, go ahead and count em...

Anyway, what I'm saying is, do you think the ease of porting games to the Xbox will be a painful downfall? or is it beneficial....

I'm seeing a pattern growing that I don't care for, and its that they make the game for the ps2...and then port it because that is easier than making it for Xbox and then dumbing it down for the PS2 or more so making it more complex on the code it runs with...or so I'm told anyway.

Any thoughts other than crap? :)

Hugh_Jass
06-03-2002, 07:16 PM
Games won't get ported poorly if XBOX owners don't buy poorly ported games.

Try saying that three times fast. :)

Marc
06-03-2002, 07:17 PM

Ninja Scroll
06-04-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy

Ninja sucessfully kills thread!
And games being crap is in the eye of the beholder....but I do agree with yall for the most part, they are crap!

I did?:confused: Is dat a bad thing or a good thing?:eek: