PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Splitscreen MP v.s. xbox LAN MP

SquirrelJam
10-15-2001, 01:37 PM
Yo:

I hate "splitscreen" multiplayer gaming! I prefer LAN mulitiplayer gaming (for full screen), in spite of the hassle it takes of getting all the equipment together with my friends to achieve it but hey, that's LAN gaming.

I don't have broadband and I'm not interested in modem mulitplayer gaming.

My question: Who can tell me about xbox "LAN" capabilities and which titles support this all important, kick-ass feature?

Thanks!

Fist_Of_God
10-15-2001, 01:42 PM
Well Im not to sure how many games will support LAN, but my guess would be that there wouldnt be to many at all. Developers are focusing more on online play and should continue to even more once the consumers realize the potential.

SquirrelJam
10-15-2001, 02:00 PM
Thanks F_o_G for your reply.

I understand the potential for broadband and I'm not knocking it and I know it's the future. Nevertheless, I'm interested in the LAN capabilities of the xbox.

Allow me to expound upon this for just a moment.

I don't want to be forced to suffer a "splitscreen" when I'm playing a buddy. Everyone wants full screen action. Imagine linking to another buddies console (and his tv) and how the LAN multiplayer experience is superior to splitscreen multiplayer experience.

-- Racing -- like being able to race my own car, on full screen, and my friends race their own cars on their own screens but we're all racing on the same track.

-- Sports -- like being able to play offense or opposing defense on our own full screens, be it football or hockey or whatever.

-- HALO -- I've heard and read that it's a blast in HALO multiplayer: DM, CTF, etc. If you've seen the HALO movie interview with Marty and Jason of Bungie, they talk about when they play multiplayer in the office all the time and I don't think they're using online broadband to do it. So I'm hoping that HALO will allow me to "link up" to a buddy via, my own TV and system to his. I have no problem with going thru hook up hassles to achieve this experience.

Again, I understand that broadband is the way to go when it comes to fighting the outside world in multiplayer battles but for my local needs, I want to "link up" in the home without me having to burden the expense of a broadband account - which I don't have.

Can anyone share my sentiments? Does anyone see what I'm looking for and can anyone offer some content regarding this subject matter. I hope I've made myself clearer to those who're scratching their heads and wondering what the hell I'm talking about. This is much like achieving PC LAN multiplayer gaming.

Thanks to all, for your attention and submissions.

Aaron
10-15-2001, 02:03 PM
Actually, most games that have mutliplayer will have LAN ability, dont let the misinformation fool ya :)

Fist_Of_God
10-15-2001, 02:16 PM
Personally I would love to see every game that is not online to have LAN support. I cant stand split screen either.

Fist_Of_God
10-15-2001, 10:29 PM
Both Halo and Unreal Championship will support LAN! I have been trying to find more information regarding the possibilities of other multiplayer games supporting this feature as well. Maybe I should have expanded more on what I was trying to get at before but at the time I was in a rush. My belief is that in the future LAN will be uncommon but not necessarilly extinct. Braodband support of online games will reduce the need for developers to include LAN in their games. But at the same time even in the future FPS should continue to support this awsome feature.

SquirrelJam
10-16-2001, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the posts, all.

F_O_G, I hope you're wrong about LAN eventually disappearing in gaming. Local Area Networks operate on protocols that have been adopted by the web. TCP/IP is such a protocol.

With network technologies present in xbox and it's code, I would think it to be nothing to support LAN capabilities, along side WAN for broadband, in up and coming titles. It's a configuration setting, basically.

I guess I'm just looking for some confirmation. I really want to race, shoot and play sports in the same room with my friends without using splitscreens or forced to go online to compete.

Later.

Vipermmx
10-17-2001, 10:05 AM
Braodband support of online games will reduce the need for developers to include LAN in their games.

Incorrect. If it support online play it would support LAN much easier. Also broadband is not everywhere yet. Most people still dont own broadband. They will have LAN support if its online for sure.

Hermes
10-19-2001, 08:07 AM
Yeah. I'm under the impression that online with 1000 others or LAN with two xboxs is the same protocol. I don't see how including one would exclude the other at all.

rivalius13
10-19-2001, 03:39 PM
ill have to stick with split screen. Lan is too expensive

izzydroolin
10-19-2001, 04:22 PM
I don't think lan is too expensive, But you can't beat the ease of splitscreen