PDA

View Full Version : Define "Replay Value"

Taranis
06-04-2002, 12:38 PM
I have seen a lot of talk on these forums about how if a game doesn't include some multiplayer component, it has NO replay value.

How can that be true? I remember playing games when multiplayer was only a word used to describe board games. Those games had replay value because of dynamic situations that could change your experience, great stories that you wanted to experience over and over, and graphics that just had to be seen again to be believed.

Why should that be any different now? Have we been spoiled by MMORPG's on the PC?

This reminds me of the evolutionary concept that evolution cannot happen in reverse. Once a system reaches a given level of complexity and sophistication, it cannot retreat from that level. It cannot go backwards.

I guess that's what has happened to the gaming industry today. It has advanced to the point where any game without a multiplayer component can't be seen to be a viable title.

I think this could also be attributed to the fact that many of today's "gamers" didn't play the old 8-bit Nintendo or even the 16-bit Genesis. Instead, they are a generation of gamers brought up on the PlayStation and the PC games like Quake and Unreal.

It's a damn shame.

OppiumNitrates
06-04-2002, 12:48 PM
well about single player games having no replay value . . . . . no

the most talk about game right now on these boards is probly Morrowind which is single player. . . .. but it accualy has some really good replay value im sure.. . . . =

but as for the generation grown up on PS and quake i think ur right the phase itself has evolved. . . i had the old 8 bit systems and i loved them growing up. . .

replay value:
When a game is just as fun to play first time, as it is after u beat it.

BTW i think genises was only 16 bit. . .. . it did have a 32 bit expantion 32X i think

LynxFX
06-04-2002, 12:50 PM
Mario Brothers, Sonic, Mega Man and the other classics from the 8bit and 16bit era all had great replay value to me. They were a blast playing over and over and over. The games also seemed to be longer than most games today. Maybe we are just getting too good. :)

Having multiplayer modes of play pretty much guarantees replay value which is why alot of people look for it or want it. Gamers are probably considered spoiled now but I think developers are half to blame since they keep producing B quality games with little replay value. You get through it once and you are just glad you are done.

SkoalMint
06-04-2002, 01:07 PM
I definitely think a solo game can have good replay value. I'm still playing halo and have never played multi-player, and yes I've beat it on Legendary. Oppium brings up a good point with a game like Morrowwind. With approximately 200 hours of play time and literally billions of character combinations, I think it will have a ton of replay value (assuming it's worth playing to begin with - which I believe it will be). However, I do think we are getting alot of "B quality" games as Lynxfx puts it. I finally rented Blood Omen 2 and am currently playing it. Granted, it is a decent game with a good story line, but so far, I have found little replay value other than the fact that I might want to start over to get all of the lore chests (I was on Chapter 4 before I realized you were suppose to continuously hold the button to make it work as opposed to just pressing it). In addition, I don't think adding alternate endings or increasing levels of difficulty equate to automatic replay value. While they may add to it, I still need to find new enjoyment from playing through the game a second, third, or fourth time. I enjoyed Silent Hill, played through, and saw one of the endings. Did I want to replay it to see a different ending? No. I didn't feel like there was anything else I wanted to do/see/try. Well let me get off of my soapbox. Great topic Taranis.

silvertrace
06-04-2002, 01:27 PM
anytime u have a rpg it will have less replay value compared to a sports title or a multiplayer game due to the fact that those games will never play the same way twice:eek:

this doesn't mean that an rpg isn't fun, it just means that there is more variety in a game like halo, due to the fact u can play multiplayer with different gametypes and no two games will be the same..........

this is all a mute point because i intend on purchasing Morrowind and playin it like its goin outta style;)