PDA

View Full Version : In game footage or lack there of in commericials

LynxFX
06-04-2002, 12:44 PM
I have noticed that all of the PS2 commercials lately never show actual ingame footage. Intead they keep relying on prerendered cut scenes (Medal of Honor: Frontline for example). The last game I saw that showed game footage was Virtual Fighter 4 and it looked like total crappola compared to the Xbox launch fighter DOA3.

Every Xbox commercial I can recall seeing has showed ingame footage and sometimes mixed with cut scenes. GC has been good about showing the ingame footage as well. So is Sony afraid to show that their machine can't keep up with its competitor's next gen systems in terms of graphics? Do people really fall for the prerendered cut scenes thinking that is what the game will look like?

I don't want to bash Sony but this does seem like a lame effort to make their system look better and possibly confusing the unknowing consumers out there.

OppiumNitrates
06-04-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
a lame effort to make their system look better and possibly confusing the unknowing consumers out there.

isnt that what business is all about though . . .

i do agree some people will think that the footage on TV is what the game play is like. . . .

LynxFX
06-04-2002, 12:57 PM
Oh I think it is total business...doesn't take away the fact that it is lame. ;) Just like all of those broadband commercials showing off their speed. They have video popup windows coming up all over the place playing full motion high res video. Yeah right. :rolleyes:

It is the second part of your reply that just really gets me. I think sony relies on this too much where Nintendo and Microsoft don't really need to.

OppiumNitrates
06-04-2002, 01:00 PM
It is the second part of your reply that just really gets me. I think sony relies on this too much where Nintendo and Microsoft don't really need to.

i totaly agree with u and i never really thouh of it that way. . .

i mean a 'real' gamer could tell the diff between in game play and some cut sceans form an intro or somthing but i guess if ur new to gaming u might be tricked by it

Xtopia
06-04-2002, 01:08 PM
Good point, Lynxfx. And I agree, Sony is trying to hide their potential, or lack their of.

Ninja Scroll
06-04-2002, 01:09 PM
Hey, as much as I hate Sony- MS does the same things too yo!
Look at their new promotion for the Xbox for $199.99 you only see 3 seconds worth of in-game footage, and the rest is kids flappin their gums about "if they wanna buy an Xbox for $199.99".:rolleyes:
Poor MS is starting to look like Nintendo with lame ass TV ads.

LynxFX
06-04-2002, 01:16 PM
Haven't seen that one yet Ninja but that sounds like just an ad for the console and not game specific. I mean, look at what Sony did to advertise the PS2. They show a fake PS9?? WTF?

Xtopia
06-04-2002, 01:19 PM
What channels do you guys watch!?! I watch a fair amount of TV, and I hardly ever see any Xbox, Ps2, or GC commercials! And I have NEVER seen a commercial for the Xbox console (NOT a game) or for the Pos2 console (Once again, I'm talking about the console not a specific game)! Fill me in! I think MS, Sony, and Nintendo should be doing better advertising. I NEVER SEE THE DARN COMMERCIALS!

OppiumNitrates
06-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Haven't seen that one yet Ninja but that sounds like just an ad for the console and not game specific. I mean, look at what Sony did to advertise the PS2. They show a fake PS9?? WTF?

LoL i seen that commercial . . . . its quite laughable

LynxFX
06-04-2002, 01:24 PM
I haven't seen any Xbox commercials in quite a while, never saw a console specific one for the Xbox but have seen them for PS2 and GC. PS2 had that one that did the whole 'future' angle showing the PS9 then went to "in the beginning" and showed a picture of the PS2. Nothing shown there. GC had the guy in a cube commercials and showed games on all sides. Much better than Sony.

Just saw the MOH: Frontline commercial for the PS2 and it was all cut scenes. I've seen some for like 007 but they show for all consoles and no clafication of which ingame footage they are showing.

They do need to up the commercials now. I think I only see them on Comedy Central.

Ninja Scroll
06-04-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Xtopia
What channels do you guys watch!?! I watch a fair amount of TV, and I hardly ever see any Xbox, Ps2, or GC commercials! And I have NEVER seen a commercial for the Xbox console (NOT a game) or for the Pos2 console (Once again, I'm talking about the console not a specific game)! Fill me in! I think MS, Sony, and Nintendo should be doing better advertising. I NEVER SEE THE DARN COMMERCIALS!

Just watch anything WWE televises on TV. from RAW to SmackDown, to the syndicated shows, and the Saturday late night, to the Sunday Night Heat.
Videogame commericals are all over their programing.

Gaming publishers are always advertising on MTV, FOX, channels directed toward youth.
btw, if I see a GTA3 commercial one more time im gonna trash my Tv!!!!:mad: enough already Sony! Damn game is old as hell now!:rolleyes:

yall
06-04-2002, 01:31 PM
Just think of all of the uninformed ignoramuses who saw the frontline tv commercial and said "OMFG look at this WW2 game for the ps2. Its the coolest thing I"ve ever seen". Don't believe me? Just look at all of the suckers that went and bought a ps2 and FFX! Suckers. I actually saw a post on another forum where some ps2 fan boy was saying that FFX had the best graphics ever seen. He said "It blows me away every 20 minutes or so..". Duh! Apparently this joker doesn't know the diff b/n gameplay or cutscenes either!

Xtopia
I watch alot of news and the WB. But I'll look around. But ya, I forgot, I do see the GTA3 commercials ALOT.

silvertrace
all advertising is like this though, have u ever ordered a "big mac" from mcdonalds and it look like the one on the menu:confused:

i think not, its just a way of presenting your product to make it look better than it really is:rolleyes:

Ninja Scroll
06-04-2002, 01:32 PM

Just saw the MOH: Frontline commercial for the PS2 and it was all cut scenes. I've seen some for like 007 but they show for all consoles and no clafication of which ingame footage they are showing.

They do need to up the commercials now. I think I only see them on Comedy Central.

I have not seen the MOH commercial. Is this game coming to Xbox? And how good is it?

Xtopia
06-04-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by silvertrace
all advertising is like this though, have u ever ordered a "big mac" from mcdonalds and it look like the one on the menu:confused:

i think not, its just a way of presenting your product to make it look better than it really is:rolleyes:

Good point, but I think video games are a little different that hamburbers.:rolleyes: ;)

silvertrace
06-04-2002, 01:37 PM

Good point, but I think video games are a little different that hamburbers.:rolleyes: ;)

advertising is about selling a product to the people, so in essence, any product for sale has to be advertised

so this puts condoms, xbox games, toothpaste, food, cars, everything that u "purchase" into the same boat, its just how its marketed and advertised:rolleyes:

Ninja Scroll
06-04-2002, 01:41 PM

Somebody say hambuger!? :p :p :p

Seriously, good point on silvertraces part!:)

faceoff508
06-04-2002, 01:42 PM
I haven't seen any Xbox commercials in quite a while, never saw a console specific one for the Xbox but have seen them for PS2 and GC.

The same here!!

I think they are waiting until a month before Chrismas to advertise because thats the best time to sell games/toys!!

just wait until then and you will get sick of the commercails!

Xtopia
06-04-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by silvertrace

advertising is about selling a product to the people, so in essence, any product for sale has to be advertised

so this puts condoms, xbox games, toothpaste, food, cars, everything that u "purchase" into the same boat, its just how its marketed and advertised:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, in some sense. I agree with your definition of advertising and with your above post, All I was saying is that Hamburgers or anything else like that are made to order...and you can customize it. So of course they are going to look different. But one videogames are different. They are not made to order, as long is at is the same 'title' that it is identical to every other one. And thus, you should adevertise what you are actually goint to be seeing in gameplay.
Anyway, I think we agree...you just dont know it yet. LoL:cool:

did the above post make any sense?:confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :o ;)

silvertrace
06-04-2002, 01:52 PM

*silver says in his wetodded voice, "waz a poss?"

OppiumNitrates
06-04-2002, 02:17 PM

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, in some sense. I agree with your definition of advertising and with your above post, All I was saying is that Hamburgers or anything else like that are made to order...and you can customize it. So of course they are going to look different. But one videogames are different. They are not made to order, as long is at is the same 'title' that it is identical to every other one. And thus, you should adevertise what you are actually goint to be seeing in gameplay.
Anyway, I think we agree...you just dont know it yet. LoL:cool:

yea but whenu see a BK commercial the Wopper looks so awsome . . . . the crisp lettus and a nice ripe tommato . . . mean if the burger looked like they did on TV the place would sell out of them. . . .

but then u get to BK and u see JJax at the helm of the grill and u get ur burger and its half the height of the one on TV and all pressed down . with brown lettus and willty ass tomatos and bread is all soggy. . . .

i think that the only good commeccials now a days r by beer compaines . . . i mean when was he last time u saw a budweiser commercail with people drinking beer ?? ? ? u dont its always people shouting "WAAAAAZZZZZ up' or a bunch of italian lookin dudes going "how ya doin" or talkin lizards arguing. . . .but its usually funny

LynxFX
06-05-2002, 08:55 PM
Just saw a Wal-mart commercial that was showing off just the xbox. They showed footage of Rally Sport Challenge, Spiderman, Tony Hawk 3x, and JSRF (all ingame I might add) and stated something to the effect of "If you want the most realistic and best gaming you can get, get an Xbox...at Walmart."

Finally some advertising.