PDA

View Full Version : Official Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind Thread

maneatingcow
06-04-2002, 02:51 PM
Welcome to the second (hopefully last) official Morrowind Thread. The game should be in all stores by Friday, so when you play it, post your impressions in here.

AppoX
06-05-2002, 02:45 PM
It is suppose to, according to Bethesda, be in stores on Friday June 7th. Im guessing this is the date for the USA. Will Canadians, like myself, and thousands more have to wait longer for Morrowind? o ya, forgot to put this in b4 i posted it, will i have to go to an EB to get it on the 7th or whenever it comes out, or should a Future Shop or some store like that get it on the same day?

y2kash_14
06-05-2002, 11:08 PM
I heard Select Stores are getting Morrowind today and tomorrow.

John002
06-06-2002, 07:08 AM
As soon as someone gets it, please let us know.

Frink
06-06-2002, 09:33 AM
My Software ETC. is supposed to get it today. I will reply with the dissapointment of another delay or my first impressions.

MidniteArrow
06-06-2002, 10:22 AM
I just got my call from Software, ETC. Morrowind is here. I'll post a review this evening of the first day of play.

Shiz_96
06-06-2002, 11:16 AM
Almost all the Gamestop stores have it but EB says tommrw. I guess I'll just have to use my EB preorder for Outlaw Golf.

MOONER
06-06-2002, 12:54 PM
:mad:

HEY, I WENT TO CIRCUIT CITY TODAY...AND THERE WAS AN APOLOGY THAT SAID IT WOULDN'T BE OUT TILL 12TH OR 13TH! (MANUFACTORER'S DELAY)

THEY SUPPOSEDLY HAD IT FOR SALE FOR 39.99...AND THEY WOULDN'T GIVE ME A RAIN CHECK! AND THEY WONDER WHY BEST BUY BLOWS THEM AWAY!

Anonymous
06-06-2002, 01:09 PM
That sucks.

I've heard Software Etc. and EB stores are already selling them as of NOW!!! :eek:

John002
06-06-2002, 01:16 PM
Circuit City runs ads for $39.99 for a lot of games, then they don't have them in stock and they won't give you a raincheck. I went back four times to Circuit City trying to get Wreckless when it first came out for $39.99. They finally had it in stock when the sale was over. Needless to say, I don't shop there anymore.
:mad:

JohnB
06-06-2002, 01:41 PM
Well, I got Morrowind. I only played for 20 minutes cause my gf called, but I will play some more in a few. My first impressions... the beginning title screen was clean, very gentle, and very well done. I don't want to spoil anything so I will try and keep my views broad. The graphics are good, from a scale of 1 to 10, it's a 9. The water effect is amazing, and with the sound... I actually feel like I'm living near a coast. The beginning of the game, for the most part, is quite peaceful.. the music, the people, the sound and everything. I'm sure there is more action soon. This guy on teamxbox said he got his ass beat by a bunch of guards for stealing. Within the first 5min of play, I had accidently took some candles, and they got all mad at me and said if I did it again I would be arrested. So then I tried to talk to the guy and tried to apologize to him or something (cause I didn't want to be classed as a criminal so early in the game hehe) but he said if I keep it up I would make him mad hehe. Anyhoo, you are classed early on in the game when this noble guy asks you a bunch of questions. I got classed as a barbarian to my surprise. The town is huuuuge; the framrate problem was hardly noticeable, but it's not going to annoy you. I stopped here cause my gf called. But anyway, there are a lot of people to talk to and you can talk to them in so many ways. I will give more impressions as soon as I get off the phone, heh. But for those who are worrying about getting bored early on, don't be. There is so many things to do, so many people to talk to, and the game continues to get more interesting. You can save anywhere just like Max Payne, btw. I will bbl...

tech
06-06-2002, 02:01 PM
Hey so what are the buttons like? Can you change them? Thanks

MOONER
06-06-2002, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the warning about Ciruit City...I will never attempt to shop there again!

I just want to know why the heck you quit to talk to your gf? lol

Game sounds great, I have been buying and selling games via EBAY. I usually sell them for more than I buy them. I just bought wreckless for $22 bucks, and will sell it when I am done for $30. :)

DrUnKtAnK
06-06-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by tech
Hey so what are the buttons like? Can you change them? Thanks

Very similar layout to HALO---

Left trigger = JUMP
Right trigger = Attack

Left analog and dir pad = Move
Right analog = look and turn

white button = journal
black button = Rest
Y = Ready Magic
X = Ready Weapon
B = Menu's
A = Activate

X+L/R Triggers - cycle weapons
Y+L/R Triggers - Cycle magic

Lf stick (click and hold) = Sneak
" (double click) = Toggle sneak

Rt stick (click down) = Change view
" " (click and hold) = View Character

L/R+ Right stick (click and hold) = Zoom in/out

There you go...:)

JohnB
06-06-2002, 03:46 PM
This game is getting better and better. Well, I died for the first time. I stole a gold platter thats worth 650gold and since I didn't have the money to pay it back, I either had to goto jail or fight the guard and well I decided to fight and he killed me in 2 hits lol. So I went back to the last save point. Anyhow, when it was night time it started to rain and it looked so cool! I mean there was thunder and lightning and all kinds of weather effects. The raind drops look real; you just gotta see it. I'm looking for this town right now, but I don't really know where I am going so I'm trying to use the map here. The people I talk to seem kinda rude to me cause I'm a newbie in every town I goto hehe. There is so many subplots but I haven't had a chance to get to them yet. Right now I am staying with the mainplot. I'm looking for this town and I have to find this guy and give him these documents and then get new orders from there.
As for the controls, A is the action button as far as taking things and such. B and Select lets you view your map. X is to draw your sword out. Y is to use your magic spells. left trigger is to jump; right trigger is to attack. The white button is to view your journal. The black button is when you want to rest, which will also save the game automatically. When the green bar on the bottom-left of the screen is drained, that means you need to rest. It's best not to run all of the time so you don't get so tired so fast. In other words, when you're moving around don't hold the analog stick to the furthest they can go, escept when necessary. Oh also, pressing the left analog stick is to crouch. Pressing the right one is to change from 1st to 3rd person and vice versa. And no you cannot change the buttons.

Well, I just died again. I was swimming in the water at night and these creatures ate me up for a late night snack. When you start playing this game guys, you gotta pretend as if YOU were the main character. Do not do things that you wouldn't do in real life.

edit: drunktank covered the controlls better than i did so look at his.

tech
06-06-2002, 04:23 PM
Thanks DrUnKtAnK & JohnB

I appreciate it.

DrUnKtAnK
06-06-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by tech
Thanks DrUnKtAnK & JohnB

I appreciate it.

Your welcome, time to leave and try out those button layouts...:eek:

xbaaddict
06-06-2002, 05:00 PM
i will be playing this lovely game in about 45 minutes man i'm so excited you guys i have been waiting for this moment for 3 months now and im getting a little ancy!

Felon
06-06-2002, 07:06 PM
Going to pick up my preordered copy now, see ya

1goodcop
06-06-2002, 08:43 PM
I've played the game for about an hour now and I DO believe this game will live up to its expectations. The graphics and sound r very good. There r short load times as u enter/exit rooms, buildings and outdoors{not annoying at all) The only shortcoming that I can speak of this early on is how the combat works. When u fight a person/creature you can watch your health and fatigue levels drop as u take hits(the screen flashes red), but you have no idea if your punches etc. are landing/causing any damage at all until suddenly the enemy drops dead. A little health meter 4 the opponant or a narr. ( example: "You land a lethal strike with your dagger for 50 hit points killing the crab...) Something like that would have been nice but i cant complain THE GAME IS VERY WELL MADE!!! I DONT BELIEVE MANY WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.

Shiz_96
06-06-2002, 10:20 PM
After all the reviews I read on the pc version, all the negative comments, all the people saying that the xbox version won't do this, or can't do that, I really starting second guessing the game. I was still very excited to try it though, I just wasn't expecting too much especially since I'm 95% console gamer, 5% pc gamer and Morrowind is really a pc RPG.

After only 2 hours behind the controls I'm starting to feel like I missed out on a lot of cool gaming if this is what pc gaming is about. Wow. A guy like me can get lost in a game like this for months. There's so much control I don't know what do with myself. So many decisions and all the time in the world. It takes about 0 seconds to get the controls, too. They did a good job of making the controller feel like second nature right away.

Never again will I be so closed minded towards pc games. Is this what the MMORPG's are like? Oh my lord, I've been missing out. If Project Ego remains a masssively multiplayer online game and offers an experience similar to this game, it will soon be the #1 reason to own an xbox and xbox live.

smack119
06-06-2002, 11:15 PM
i got this game today and i like it so far. im getting used to the buttons. (i tend it hit A thinking it will jump) the depth of this game seems huge. i get lost sometimes wondering the citys. this game has the best water i have ever seen in a game. it looks nicer than the pond behind my house. i played it for like 3-4 hours straight tonight. and i loved it. ill give a better review probably over the weekend.

JohnB
06-06-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by 1goodcop
I've played the game for about an hour now and I DO believe this game will live up to its expectations. The graphics and sound r very good. There r short load times as u enter/exit rooms, buildings and outdoors{not annoying at all) The only shortcoming that I can speak of this early on is how the combat works. When u fight a person/creature you can watch your health and fatigue levels drop as u take hits(the screen flashes red), but you have no idea if your punches etc. are landing/causing any damage at all until suddenly the enemy drops dead. A little health meter 4 the opponant or a narr. ( example: "You land a lethal strike with your dagger for 50 hit points killing the crab...) Something like that would have been nice but i cant complain THE GAME IS VERY WELL MADE!!! I DONT BELIEVE MANY WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.

Good comment about the combat system. I was going to post the same comment, but the reason I did not was because I really think this was intentionally done. As you gain skill, I am sure you will find it a lot easier to kill enemies. But for now, I think the combat system is going to deceive many... until you gain skill.

Highlite23
06-07-2002, 08:09 AM
Well, is Morrowind any good?? I started playing at 9:00 pm, when i finally saved and called it a night it was 3:00 AM.........DOUGHHHHHHH!

This is the classic type RPG, a little heavy on the reading in the begining, but thats fine. Your charecter type is developed in a very impressive mannor, I recomend customizing your charecter attributes rather than having the game determine them.

The controls are very nicelly laid out, had no problem with them, my only change was to the axis configuration, but thats just what i'm used to. You will need to work on the combat controls, difficult to judge if your doing any damage at times.

The Magic & Spell system is supper easy to figure out and implement. Thank God. Although certain Magic attributes will only work once in a 24 hour period, found that out the hard way.

Graphically the game is pretty inpressive considering all thats going on, the frame rate does hickup a little, but it won't bother you after a little while, load times are pretty fast, the towns and real time effects are fantastic. Water, sky, clouds, buildings, ect...

There is a main quest in the game, but if you spend enough time talking to different people many "MINI" quests reveal themselves, from simple "Keep an eye on this guy for me" to stumbling onto a band of thieves hiding out, who will take your life...First time i died.

If your not a RPG fan and think of getting this game because of the hoopla, you may be dissapointed. This is very classic RPG with a technological boost. RPG fans will get lost in the environments for hours and enjoy the many twists and turns you can fall into.

I highly recomend picking up the guide book, more details on how, what and why concerning weapons, spells, your charecter etc...much better than the game booklet. Also has great maps of the island and it's differnt areas.

My other word of advice, play to your charecters strengths, the more you do so the quicker you level up, which seems to be imperitive in order to "unlock" certain items and areas.

All in all, i got lost in this game for hours, it was very "real" in the sence that you become your charecter, there is a fine line between honesty and survival, choose your friends well, and experiment with your items, some foods and remedies may not work on your charecter, this game is not one to rush to the finish with, seek and ye shall find, and there is a ton of seeking to do.

Very happy with it, i know where alot of my time will be spent, not dissapointed at all.

If you don't want to buy a guide and would like infoo on charecter building etc...give me a shout, i'll be more than happy to help.:)

KillaB
06-07-2002, 09:41 AM
Does Best Buy have Morrowind now? I couldn't find it for Xbox on their website! Please let me know ASAP! I have a gift card there and can go get Morrowind today if they have it!!

KillaB

Spaztic
06-07-2002, 10:33 AM
best buy usually dosn't have the games until 3 days after the release...I know from experience!

Frink
06-07-2002, 02:43 PM
This game is just great. The battle can get a little irritating (like already stated, no way of knowing the damage) but besides that it's great. I am a Dark Elf Assasin, but I am in the Thief's guild. I must give everyone one word of advice, don't steal from an Alchemist, they will kill you. I have died several times and restarted with different characters a few times, but I am pretty happy with my little assasin. One of my favorite experiences of the whole game so far just happened (seriously like 5 min. ago). I was in a guard tower, and I had already gave myself a five-finger discount on all the working weapons (if you have the game, it is in the Eastern guard tower in Balmora) and then I went to the closet and saw a ton of armor when I opened it. Well, I just couldn't help myself, so I stole it all. Well, the guard caught me of course, so I put on all the newly found armor, turned invisible (via a potion, given by the thief's guild), and jumped over the stairs onto the floor and ran out.

So overall, if you like RPG's at all, at least rent it and try it out, or just buy it. You won't regret it.

SkoalMint
06-07-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 1goodcop
When u fight a person/creature you can watch your health and fatigue levels drop as u take hits(the screen flashes red), but you have no idea if your punches etc. are landing/causing any damage at all until suddenly the enemy drops dead.

If you watch closely, you should see a blood spray from your opponent when you connect. You can't tell how much damage you're doing, but at least you know whether or not your hitting.

HamsterKing
06-07-2002, 10:28 PM
I got the game today and I made an Imperial/Bard. I got in a fight with a Dark Elf and he kicked my ass :(

John002
06-08-2002, 11:42 AM
Bought it today and so far I'm a little bored
Too long to load saved games.

ShannonX
06-08-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by KillaB
Does Best Buy have Morrowind now? I couldn't find it for Xbox on their website! Please let me know ASAP! I have a gift card there and can go get Morrowind today if they have it!!

KillaB

if you go into the store, best buy will almost never put out new releases until sunday, even if the game was released on a tuesday or wednesday. they "sometimes" put out new releases on thursday, but not very often. (i used to work at best buy in the media department, which included video games). I'd look for it tomorow at the earliest. (at least thats how it was at my best buy)

AppoX
06-08-2002, 04:54 PM
i just got Morrowind today for x-box. i loved it! this is my first ever Elder Scrolls game also so it really gives me a good impression of them lol. thiefing is the most fun!

Woocifer
06-08-2002, 10:30 PM
Apparently people are entertained by some pretty low level quality...this game is kinda hurtin guys...pretty bland and has no identity...

JohnB
06-09-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Woocifer
Apparently people are entertained by some pretty low level quality...this game is kinda hurtin guys...pretty bland and has no identity...

Oh ok; you're opinion is what counts. :rolleyes:
The game has had a lot more good said about it than bad.

Woocifer
06-09-2002, 11:37 AM
No, it's not that my opinion counts, it is that most of what is being said that is good are quotes like:

I've been waiting for this game, and it's wicked awesome!

OR

THIS GAME IS BETTER THAN ANYTHING EVER!

People take others words for it to a tee and really...this game is not all that great. I'm rather disappointed with the conversion over to Xbox because I know the box can handle more....WAY more. Maybe it's in the code, but this game is ticky and slow.

I could go on about the game itself but what's the point? It doesn't matter what people say. I more or less put that post in to break the monotony of the fanboy.

Like what you like...that's fine. I play the game too, but there is no emotion, no growth, no impact, and it has troubles running (tick problems). It's all right... perhaps it is just the way they are expressing themselves...anyway

take it easy

dragonx87
06-09-2002, 02:36 PM
i cant wait to get this game. at first, i didnt think i would get it. then i began to read bout and found out bout all the things you can do in this game and got addicted. ive been looking for it but the stores say that they wont get it till the 10th or somethin. the only stores i know of that have it now are eb and gamestop. i cant wait to get this game. keep postin playas. peace:cool:

yall
06-11-2002, 01:16 PM
Woocifer, just because you dont like it doesnt mean it not a good game to the rest of us. And as far as your 'opinion' on the conversion, let me just tell you I have morrowind for my pc (1.4 gig, 256 mgs, geforce4), and i think it runs better on the xbox.

MOONER
06-11-2002, 01:59 PM
HEY, AFTER BEING FRUSTRATED OF GAME (ONSALE FOR 39.99) BUT NOT IN THE STORE...I ORDERED IT ONLINE @ CIRCUITCITY.COM...BUT IT IS ON BACK ORDER, SO I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN IT COMES. TIM:)

Woocifer
06-11-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by yall
Woocifer, just because you dont like it doesnt mean it not a good game to the rest of us. And as far as your 'opinion' on the conversion, let me just tell you I have morrowind for my pc (1.4 gig, 256 mgs, geforce4), and i think it runs better on the xbox.

Not to ruffle your feathers, and I know how everyone gets SO insulted by someone who gives back up on an opinion... but a friend of mine works at an animation studio and is the tech there. He ordered a batch of GeForce4 440ti's and the real time rendering on these machines(2.4Ghz) withthese cards is phenominal. But you system can't seem to run this game better than a dumbed down celeron with a fraction the ram and a lower rated card.

I don't know what to say, I'm a little stunned that your computer cannot run this game smoother than the Xbox. But funny...the Xbox has such compressed textures and in a lower resolution and still its a bit ticky. I'm wondering what is going on with the scripting in this puppy.

Anyway...the processing power, memory and graphics card alone are reasons why your pc should out perform your Xbox. Xbox is running on a windows kernal, so really there isn't a vast amount of difference.

I'm not trying to jump on anyone's neck here, but the things being said are misleading a lot of people into this drone mind state. It's kinda sad. Have you seen Doom 3? Find some preview shots of it. PC graphics are always evolving, that's why it is impossible to top them, something new is always around the corner.

I'm just stating a realistic view of things. I'm sorry I spoil the 'spirit' of being proud(somehow) of a game machine. I just want to play games. But I'd like to play games that are WORTH the 90 bucks I shell out for them. And if a console game has slow down and runs ticky then I don't think it is worth the amount they are asking for, nor the praise that people give them because it will only give them the opportunity to make something worse next time until we all finally say hey...this is worse than Kabuki, guys.....

Make sense?

Anyway whatever...have fun

John002
06-11-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Woocifer

Not to ruffle your feathers, and I know how everyone gets SO insulted by someone who gives back up on an opinion... but a friend of mine works at an animation studio and is the tech there. He ordered a batch of GeForce4 440ti's and the real time rendering on these machines(2.4Ghz) withthese cards is phenominal. But you system can't seem to run this game better than a dumbed down celeron with a fraction the ram and a lower rated card.

I don't know what to say, I'm a little stunned that your computer cannot run this game smoother than the Xbox. But funny...the Xbox has such compressed textures and in a lower resolution and still its a bit ticky. I'm wondering what is going on with the scripting in this puppy.

Anyway...the processing power, memory and graphics card alone are reasons why your pc should out perform your Xbox. Xbox is running on a windows kernal, so really there isn't a vast amount of difference.

I'm not trying to jump on anyone's neck here, but the things being said are misleading a lot of people into this drone mind state. It's kinda sad. Have you seen Doom 3? Find some preview shots of it. PC graphics are always evolving, that's why it is impossible to top them, something new is always around the corner.

I'm just stating a realistic view of things. I'm sorry I spoil the 'spirit' of being proud(somehow) of a game machine. I just want to play games. But I'd like to play games that are WORTH the 90 bucks I shell out for them. And if a console game has slow down and runs ticky then I don't think it is worth the amount they are asking for, nor the praise that people give them because it will only give them the opportunity to make something worse next time until we all finally say hey...this is worse than Kabuki, guys.....

Make sense?

Anyway whatever...have fun

Anyone will tell you; if you want to play games, get a game console; if you want to do computing get a computer.
That's a well known fact, not trying to diss you.

MOONER
06-11-2002, 11:49 PM
JUST WANT TO SAY...TO WOOCIFER...I DON'T UNDERSTAND MUCH OF WHAT YOU SAY, BUT I DO APPRECIATE IT. I JUST WANT TO PLAY GOOD GAMES TOO...AND IF THIS GAME IS LAME, I WILL SELL IT ASAP ON EBAY FOR $50 BUCKS!

I GOT MY XBOX IN MARCH...1ST THE DISSAPPOINTMENT OF THE PRICE DROP 1 1/2 MONTHS LATER..AND NOW THE REALIZATION THAT ALTHOUGH A SUPERIOR SYSTEM TO OTHERS, NOBODY CAN MAKE ANY FRIGGIN' GAMES FOR IT! THEY GOTTA GET IT RIGHT SOON OR I'M GONNA SELL MY BOX ON EBAY TOO:(

Woocifer
06-12-2002, 12:05 AM
Well don't jump too far ahead here. I was just saying this game is not a 5/5 that everyone keeps telling. You cannot tell me this game has the best graphics and that nothing could be improved....simply its not as perfect as they say.

If you're weary, rent it :)

But as for the Xbox games like Rallisport, MotoGP, Dead or Alive 3, Halo...and soon a lot of other games that are apart from ports will show you great graphics :)

The system is great and the best of the bunch...don't lose faith yet. And anyway let me ask ya this...if the xbox can produce a higher res on games, even though the are ports, why not keep it and play higher res ports? So you dont get it when someone else does...so what?

And if it gets out of hand...then we all lay a giant poop log in our dvd drives and ship them back to Uncle Bill and demand some satisfaction :)

yall
06-12-2002, 09:15 AM
You are not going to ruffle my feathers by stating your opinion. But morrowind runs like crap on a lot of pc's. Dont beleive me? go check out any pc game forum, and you'll hear the same. I never said the graphics were better on the xbox, becasue they arent. That doesnt change the fact that it runs better on my xbox (smoother frame rates, comparable load times, NO CTD'S!). And yes ive tinkered with all of the audio and video options to maximize my performance as well as ensuring that there were no extra app or processes running in the background. i'm not trying to be a 'fanboy'. i could really care less about which system i use to play a game. (i have playstation, dreamcast, xbox, and 2 high end custom pcs, 1 for software development, and 1 for gaming). i was simply stating that the game runs smoother on the xbox. oh, and one more thing woocifer, if you dont think the game deserves a 5/5 or a 90/100, then write your own danm review and stop dissing people who enjoy the game. its not as if i made a bad purchase and am trying to bring other people down with me. alot of people like this game. plain and simple. when i see good reviews of games i dont like, i leave it at that, and chalk it up to a difference in taste.

MOONER
06-12-2002, 11:03 AM
I don't own many games...I sort of rent them...actually I buy used on ebay and sell when i get something else to occupy my time, or sell if i didn't like it. So far games I've loved are HALO and Max Payne, NFL 2K2...games I didn't like...Wreckless, Silent Hill 2, Allstar baseball, NBA 2k2. I received Spiderman yesterday...on the way this week are World Series Baseball, Morowind, Hunter, the reckoning, and Air Force Delta. I expect to like all the new ones I have coming in. tim:p

John002
06-12-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by MOONER
I don't own many games...I sort of rent them...actually I buy used on ebay and sell when i get something else to occupy my time, or sell if i didn't like it. So far games I've loved are HALO and Max Payne, NFL 2K2...games I didn't like...Wreckless, Silent Hill 2, Allstar baseball, NBA 2k2. I received Spiderman yesterday...on the way this week are World Series Baseball, Morowind, Hunter, the reckoning, and Air Force Delta. I expect to like all the new ones I have coming in. tim:p

What didn't you like about Silent Hill 2? I was thinking of buying that one.

MOONER
06-12-2002, 11:49 AM
IT LITERALLY PUT ME TO SLEEP...

But let me explain...I work alot, and night time is the only time i'll play. I have a 3 year old who I spend any free time with and I don't expose him to xbox (yet).

The entire beginning is a guy walking around with a board with a nail in it hitting monsters and collecting clues. Walked too slow and found too few clues.

I know that was hardly enough to really test it...I just kept falling asleep...so I sold it. Really though, get another point of view too.:p