PDA

View Full Version : XBox 1st Impressions

Hawker77
10-15-2001, 11:18 PM
I just got back from Toys R Us here in Palm Desert, CA (it's 9:05 PM now) and there were only 3 people on the pre-order list before I gave them my $50 bucks to add my name to the list.

I spent a lot of time playing Odd World (finished the in store demo) and watching all the movies of the other games on the demo CD. I was lucky to be the only one even NEAR the XBox, and didn't get interrupted at all. I have to say, that movie on the web of the Ferrari in Gotham Racing looks MUCH better than what I just saw at the store. I hope what I saw on the demo XBox machine was much older, because it looked a lot different. The web-video is very very nice looking where as the store version looked somewhat cheesy (the red was much to bright). We can only hope the finished product will look that great (as web video).

Watching the Halo movie, well, it just didn't impress me as much as the screenshots do on the net. I was hoping for something more. To see it in motion just wasn't all that thrilling. But again, it was just a movie playing in the machine and not the actual game. It just gave me the impression that the game environment wasn't as huge as we are all hoping. But man I hope I'm wrong in the end because I AM buying one. I'm happy to be getting Gotham Racing, but not too sure about Tony Hawk (hehe, my last name is Hawk too), or Odd World. But a game like Odd World is nice to have after you get tired of racing all day.

I really want Air Force Delta as well. So I'll probably end up trading in Tony for that and of course, getting Halo also, despite what I saw. I have to give the game a fair chance.

If you have a Toys R Us near you, go see it in action for yourself.

I'd have to say the most impressive thing about it were the load times of everything. Pretty fast compared to when I loaded up Spy Hunter on the PSX 2 next to it.

Hawker77
10-15-2001, 11:27 PM
One more thing, the sound is very solid and was rocking the store. They had it up pretty loud. Crystal clear sound though, it couldn't be any better. :)

Here's one major thing to consider. If you already have a rocking PC game machine (I have a PIII 850 and a GeForce 2 card and games play very well on it), do you really even NEED to get an XBox? I say yes (if you are a hardcore gamer) if you are intrigued by it, and there are many titles that grab your attention. Because the video system in it is way advanced from anything out now for the PC. If you are a MUST HAVE kind of person and can afford it, I'd say go for it.

Hawker77
10-16-2001, 01:44 AM
Cel Damage video looked great. I want this one too now.

Fist_Of_God
10-16-2001, 07:41 AM
With everything you saw and played, did you notice any clipping? Some people are saying that a few of the wrinkles in some games have not been ironed out in time.

Hawker77
10-16-2001, 07:13 PM
No, I didn't see any clipping problems. Oh, the sun in Munch is just perfect. Awesome lighting effects.

xboxlover
10-19-2001, 01:33 PM
What is the game style of much is it a platform or puzzle game.

Milkman Dan
10-19-2001, 01:36 PM
Munch is a platform puzzle. It's a little of both. It's kind of goony, kind of intellectual. Lots of problem solving, but they promise this one won't be frustrating. I love Oddworld.

I played Xbox for the first time day before yesterday. I can see where the controller critisism comes from, but I could get used to the size and feel of it.

xboxlover
10-19-2001, 01:52 PM
Exactly how big is the xbox i heard that it is very chucky please comply.

Milkman Dan
10-19-2001, 02:06 PM
"Reply", not "comply".

The Xbox is about the same size as my VCR. It's not huge, it's just a videogame.

The controller was kindo of big. Bigger than a DC controller. I had heard that, but dismissed it as fanboy critisism. But it is actually pretty large.

It's not uncomfortable to play or anything, but it is pretty good size, and will take some getting used to.

Milkman Dan
10-19-2001, 02:07 PM
Finally, 20 posts. Milkman Dan is back in action :)

HALOJAY
10-19-2001, 02:27 PM
I have been hearing a lot of bad things about the quality of the kliosks and I am starting to get a little worried about this. So my question is this: at its worse does the x-boxes unfinished kliosksl, games and previews still look better than most of the games on ps2? One more thing I am not sure if I spelled kliosks correctly but I am sure you get the point.

Milkman Dan
10-19-2001, 02:30 PM
The kiosks look great for the mostpart. The KIOSK is kind of bland because it must be "kid safe" and non-violent.

No worries, it kicks PS2 in the crotch.

Hawker77
10-19-2001, 03:50 PM
It looked very cool. It grabbed my intention right away. The screen of the XBox kiosk where I went was bigger than the PS2's screen also. But yes, MS did a nice job on them!