PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

X-Ray
06-05-2002, 11:25 PM
I'm just going off what I've heard here and my memory of reading other things so correct me if I'm wrong but...

The XBOX supports progressive scan (480 and 720) for some, most, or all XBOX games. However, I understand that it does not support progressive scan for DVD's. Further, the XBOX doesn't ship with all the necessary software to play DVD's; the software fror DVD's is in the little thingy that comes in the DVD remote kit.

So given these facts, would it be possible for Microsoft, or some third party, to make an "Enhanced DVD remote kit" that comes with software that allows the XBOX to play DVD's in progressive scan mode? That is my primary question.

Does the current XBOX DVD software even have a semi-progressive line doubler system? Is that possible?

techie
06-05-2002, 11:59 PM
Ok, you are correct that the Xbox game unit will
support 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i resolutions
if you are using the HD pack (connector) and have
an HDTV or HDTV ready television/monitor.

Currently the only resolutions we have seen are
480i or 480p. We have yet to see a game that
developers have created supporting any higher
resolutions. But there's still hope that some will
be coming soon.

You are also correct that the Xbox does not support
progressive scan mode for DVD's. The small device that
plugs into one of the game ports is the infared receiver
unit for the remote.

So to answer your question, sure, I think that someone
could create software for the DVD player that supports
progressive mode. Microsoft had originally planned on
having progressive mode for the DVD player but said
it would have added more cost to an already money
losing piece of hardware. I remember reading that they
said they could possibly add progressive mode support
at a later time if they chose.

X-Ray
06-06-2002, 12:19 PM
Thanks, but does the current XBOX stuff even have a "line-doubler" that can simulate progressive scan?

techie
06-06-2002, 12:22 PM
Not for regular movie DVD's. I wish it did,
it would have saved me the expense of
going out and buying a new DVD player
that has progressive scan.

LynxFX
06-06-2002, 12:33 PM
The only way we are going to see progressive scan dvd playback is when someone creates a modchip that enables it. I don't think we will get a third party 'hacked' dvd remote. It might be possible though since it is the remote sensor that hardcodes the region into the Xbox once it is plugged in, so maybe they can figure out a way to write to the ROM enabling progressive scan playback. The only reason we don't have it now is because of Macrovision and MS didn't want to pay the fees associated with it.

I'm still waiting for a modchip, or bootable disc that unlocks region coding and enables progressive scan playback. Those are my two big 'wishes' for the xbox.

Scarlet Spider
06-06-2002, 12:37 PM
whats progressive scan? what diffrence does it make, will it makethe movies look better when watch them or what?

X-Ray
06-06-2002, 12:44 PM
The guy who posted right before you has a guide/faq that answers that--just click on the link in his sig.

Scarlet Spider
06-06-2002, 12:57 PM
i dont know why, but since lyn has that face in his sig, whenever he posts i always think of that face being him (or her??)

X-Ray
06-06-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Scarlet Spider
i dont know why, but since lyn has that face in his sig, whenever he posts i always think of that face being him (or her??)

That's nice. I guess...I don't think that face is a female face. I just noticed it has a ghotee...What kind of women are you into? lol;)

LynxFX
06-06-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Scarlet Spider

LOL

I just noticed it has a ghotee...What kind of women are you into? lol

LOL again!

I don't think that face has any gender attatched. It is just...a face. :)

But yeah, Scarlet, check out the link and there is a progressive scan versus interlaced section. Short answer is, yes it does look better if you have the equipment to handle it.