PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced CD's

Scarlet Spider
06-06-2002, 01:10 PM
what would it take for the xbox to read them??
and,it may be off topic, but how do they work?

MOrgE
06-06-2002, 01:24 PM
someone correct me if i'm wrong...

but Enhanced CD's are Compact Disks with 2 different volumes on them... one audio and the other data...

and they are easily read by any cd player/rom. I dont know if an XBOX can run the data portion of an Enhanced CD like a PC can...
but i think it won't have a problem reading the audio portion of it and playing it.

Ninja Scroll
06-06-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by MOrgE
someone correct me if i'm wrong...

but Enhanced CD's are Compact Disks with 2 different volumes on them... one audio and the other data...

and they are easily read by any cd player/rom. I dont know if an XBOX can run the data portion of an Enhanced CD like a PC can...
but i think it won't have a problem reading the audio portion of it and playing it.

Well I cant correct you Morge because you are right my friend.
I highly doubt the Xbox will read an Enhanced CD portion of the disc for the fact that it's intented for use on an actual PC.

btw, your siggy reeks of awesomeness Scarlet Spider!:)

Scarlet Spider
06-06-2002, 01:43 PM
the xbox cant read them now, but what im asking is what would it take for it to? and how do enhanced cd's work
and Jubei, fink made it, but i disigned it :)

MOrgE
06-06-2002, 02:24 PM
ehhehe... thanks Ninja... i feel much better about myself now :)

ummmm... to be able to read the "data" section of an Enhanced CD, it would have to be able to let you run certain files off a cd...
kinda like the autorun.inf...
but it seems like the XBOX restricts you from running certain files other then its own...

LynxFX
06-06-2002, 02:32 PM
I have never used an enhanced cd but if it is anything like the dvd-rom features on a DVD disc then it probably needs to run its own program similar to Intervideo's PC Friendly. This program needs to be installed before it is run so I'm guessing no until people figure out how to run and install programs which probably can happen.

I do remember one 'enhanced cd' I guess but all it had was a video in a seperate folder. Not sure if that is what they are still doing or not.

DBXNY
06-06-2002, 07:04 PM
The enhanced CD interactivity on CDs is usually made with Macromedia Director multimedia programs.

Director can make a "projector" for either a Mac or PC to run the elements, or it can publish the movies as a website to be run in a browser. So, depending on how the enhanced portion was created, I would think the X-box would have to be compatible with the projector (or able to display a website if it was developed this way), and also be compatible with any associated files that may/can not be embedded within the director movie.

I'm not getting my hopes up about it ever happening.