PDA

View Full Version : Is Xbox on a HDTV cool?

Dave
06-08-2002, 03:04 AM
I bought a 50 in HDTV today. I am not going to really know if it's cool or not until Monday when they drop this TV off. Seems like it should be pretty cool, my living room is huge, and we have plenty of space to move away from the screen to see what's going on.

Not really sure what to expect though? I've only ben told by salesman I will have fun Monday. Is it cool changing Xbox from the small screen to a big screen?

faceoff508
06-08-2002, 08:27 AM
It will make playing Halo 10 times more fun!!

Enjoy:)

DBXNY
06-08-2002, 09:34 AM
Just have plenty of tissue around for all the drooling:)

LynxFX
06-08-2002, 10:00 AM
You won't want to play on anything else ever again. :)

dougi3000
06-08-2002, 12:39 PM
you better get that HDTV AV pack too

EHWfedPres
06-08-2002, 12:40 PM
it actually depends on what game you are playing...obviously.

robnyack
06-08-2002, 12:44 PM
remember, you will NOT be seeing any games in true High definition. The best you can get right now is game displayed at 480p, and only when the specific game is made to be displayed at 480p.

True high def TV is displayed at 1080i.

However, your salesman is right, going from your standard 27" analog set to a 50" digital TV will be lots of fun!

Halo Freak
06-08-2002, 12:52 PM
yeah man i have my x-box in the living room we have a 36" TV and man halo kicks A$$ on it with the surround sound man it;s the best

Dave
06-08-2002, 11:54 PM
Awsome!

I really did not care about whether the games were true high definition or not. I really just wanted a good big screen TV to play my Xbox and Gamecube on. It should be a ton of fun for me. I'll get to play my Xbox games on it and try it out Monday, and I get my first game for my Gamecube, WM18 Tuesday.

I see a lot of people really into this true power of HDTV stuff, and myself, I just wanted a big screen tv with good picture quality, so my expectations were actually pretty low, and from what I am reading, I should not be disappointed. I actually never even knew what HDTV was until I bought 1. I went in planning on buying the old style big screens with the big lines across the middle, and was excited about that, then saw this HDTV thing, and was like cool , this is even better than what I expected..

BCan
06-09-2002, 04:30 AM
Be careful of screen burn with the HUD's of many games on your digital TV. It wasn't really designed to handle an image sitting in one part of the screen all of the time....

Personally, wouldn't mind winning the 40 inch plasma screen that is on offer on one of the TV channels here that is screening the World Cup. Now, that would rock, and it would be good for using on my PC too!!

robnyack
06-09-2002, 11:16 AM
good point. be aware that static images (from games, TV logos, etc) if left on your screen long enough can cause burn in. Once you get burn in, your screen is like, tatooed for life.

So when playing games, if you are playing a game that has static images (an image that is there in the same place all the time...usually power meters and stuff like that) you should not go too crazy (timewise), when playing on your TV.

Watching a TV station with static images...cable news stations are nortorious these days for lots of static images..., even the little network logo in the corner of your screen could do some damage if you played it continuously over a long period of time. Same thing with a game. The good thing alot games you don't have to worry about, because there are no continual static images (love that!), but there are games (Halo, for instance) that do have them, and you should be wise about it.

I play for several hours at a time, and have had no problems, but, I wouuld never pause a game and leave it on screen while I go do something else for a while. Just keep it in the back of your mind and excercise a little caution and you should be fine. Another good piece of advice is let your TV warm up for a few minutes before putting on something with static images. That helps.

Hopefully games developers and TV networks will start taking this into account seeing how more and more people have these sets these days.

E-Xbox
06-09-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Dave
I bought a 50 in HDTV today. I am not going to really know if it's cool or not until Monday when they drop this TV off. Seems like it should be pretty cool, my living room is huge, and we have plenty of space to move away from the screen to see what's going on.

Not really sure what to expect though? I've only ben told by salesman I will have fun Monday. Is it cool changing Xbox from the small screen to a big screen?

what was the size of your old tv?

peace

l Maximus l
06-10-2002, 02:08 AM

Congrats, Dave! I bought my 50" HDTV a few months ago and I still can't stop drooling! :D Just make sure you purchase the High Definition A/V Pack or the Monster 400 Component Video cables...it makes a HUGE difference! Also, make sure you change the settings on your XBox menu (XBox turned on without a game) and switch it to Widescreen and 480p, 720p, and 1080i (you might as well as put them all on so you don't have to do it later). All the current games are in 480p but I would expect future games to have a higher resolution. I can't wait!! (Nudge, nudge ->>Lynxfx :D)

Crazy Joe
06-10-2002, 02:09 AM
i might be getting a 55" 16:9 widescreen HDTV sometime soon, i am praying for it.......

LynxFX
06-10-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Maximus

I can't wait!! (Nudge, nudge ->>Lynxfx :D)

Damn straight Maxi!! :)

E-Xbox
06-10-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Gortholomew
i might be getting a 55" 16:9 widescreen HDTV sometime soon, i am praying for it.......

deeeeeyam!!
that would be soooo sick!!!

peace

Dave
06-11-2002, 04:04 AM
Many thanks for those word's of wisdom, I take those wrods very seriously when it comes to a couple grand myself.

As far as the TV goes, I am super impressed. Especially knowing I am only using very little of this TV's true potential. It will probably be the way it is until Xmas, and I am fine with that, because I have to be. I gotta budget, and for now the other stuff is not in it after the TV purchase.

Everyone here was real happy watching TV, playing Xbox, and playing DVD's on Xbox on this TV today. Sure we only used half of the TV's potential, but it still looked damn good for a 50 in tv.

Someone asked my old tv size, and I had, and still have 2 26 in tv's. That was the biggest before the 50 in. My little kid's actually lucked out and I put the 26 in from the living room with a kenwood sound sytem, the entertainment center, 2 vcr's, and the old N-64, and the old Dreamcast in their.

Now I have my 30+ year old friends walk into my 4 years old daughter's room and go, man this is bullsh*t! Your 4 year old has better sh*t than I do.

E-Xbox
06-11-2002, 03:33 PM
Many thanks for those word's of wisdom, I take those wrods very seriously when it comes to a couple grand myself.

As far as the TV goes, I am super impressed. Especially knowing I am only using very little of this TV's true potential. It will probably be the way it is until Xmas, and I am fine with that, because I have to be. I gotta budget, and for now the other stuff is not in it after the TV purchase.

Everyone here was real happy watching TV, playing Xbox, and playing DVD's on Xbox on this TV today. Sure we only used half of the TV's potential, but it still looked damn good for a 50 in tv.

Someone asked my old tv size, and I had, and still have 2 26 in tv's. That was the biggest before the 50 in. My little kid's actually lucked out and I put the 26 in from the living room with a kenwood sound sytem, the entertainment center, 2 vcr's, and the old N-64, and the old Dreamcast in their.

Now I have my 30+ year old friends walk into my 4 years old daughter's room and go, man this is bullsh*t! Your 4 year old has better sh*t than I do.
lol!
ur kids spoiled!
hehe

peace

woebelej
06-22-2002, 02:31 AM
My friend just got a 57" widescreen Toshiba HDTV from Best Buy. I can honestly say I've never seen such a beautiful picture from an X-box. A couple important things really made the differance. First we used the Monster Componant (HDTV) Cable Kit, secondly we had to switch the X-Box menu to HDTV and Widescreen. The two games we played in HD were Halo and Hunter. The detail of every aspect of the game is far superior to a regular tv especially when using the regular RCA or S-Video cables.

X-Factor
06-22-2002, 03:21 AM
D@mn, I play my Xbox games on an old 27" inch T.V. (really old). Also, I use the standard cable hookups that came with my Xbox.

*becomes jealous*

robnyack
06-22-2002, 12:06 PM
one other thing to remember...these types of TVs are not going to give you the best picture you can get by just pulling it out of the box and plugging it in. You will have a nice picture, but there is a much better picture to be had if you calibrate your set.

It can be done professionally (professional comes yto your home and does it...rather expensive, I'm sure) or you can find DVDs for sale that will walk you through calibration. We did the DVD method, and when we were done, we had a noticable better picture.