PDA

View Full Version : buzz

NomadLLama
06-08-2002, 11:10 AM
ahhh yes, when I turn on my xbox, it makes that beautiful hum, but yet after playing it for more than 30 minutes, it starts to make a weird buzzing noise, that is not so beautiful anymore. the buzzing cannot be heard over the sounds from any game, but its still kinda strange. this happen to any of you guys?? (note, i don't play much, no more than 6 hours a day, 2 hours each time i play. compare to some guys that play halo or morrowind endlessly. or i remember that guy that played 20 hours all at once and asked why it froze.) oh, i have no dust anywhere to be seen, too

Xbox Owner
06-08-2002, 11:34 AM
Yep...

CodeMonkey
06-08-2002, 11:39 AM
Maybe its because your not playing it enough. And it’s the Xbox way of saying its p!$$ed at u.

Not but seriously, if it’s still under warranty give MS a call. Could be one of the fans ball bearings mashing up, just a guess

Hugh_Jass
06-08-2002, 05:37 PM
I can think of two reasons for a buzzing sound:
1) The XBOX fan might have a missing or damage fin.
2) Something might be touching the fan, such as a cable or wire.

It's almost certainly a fan problem. I think the XBOX uses a standard 80mm PC case fan. If your warranty is over you may want to open your XBOX and replace the fan. The part should cost less than $15, depending on the quality. I would go with a ball bearing fan over a sleeve fan.

monkeyman
06-08-2002, 05:43 PM
remember the sound the dc makes god that thing is soooooo fricken loud

RadRider
06-08-2002, 05:47 PM
I just hear the fan, no other noises or anything at all.

GRAVEDIGGER
06-09-2002, 09:52 PM
I only hear the fan also. Never heard that buzz that you speak of.

Untill next time...:mad:

hook-worm J
06-10-2002, 01:23 AM
But if it is a fan problem, I think that he would hear the "buzz" right away, not after 30 minutes or whatever.

I just hear the fan also, and the occasional sound of the HDD...

Hermes
06-10-2002, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by hook-worm J
But if it is a fan problem, I think that he would hear the "buzz" right away, not after 30 minutes or whatever.

No thats not true.. A half an hour would give the components inside time to heat up and start acting up. I agree with everyone else who said "fan" and specifically codemonkey for saying "ball-bearing".

NomadLLama
06-12-2002, 12:26 AM
hey guys, thanks for your help, but i just noticed this today. when I played the game for about maybe lets say 20 minutes, the buzz comes back. (the buzz is not that violent to have a ball-bearing problem, i do not think) then after about 15 minutes, the buzzing goes away and the humming is normal. then it comes back and goes away and so forth.... can you guys see if this happens? turn the volume of the sound down and notice the sound of the xbox, if you can, it's sooo quiet!