PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Xbox problem!!

WZERGeek
06-08-2002, 01:01 PM
I was playing bloodwake, i turned it off and then right back on again. Then it gave me a dirty disc error. now every disc i put it i get the error. i tried cleaning the disc it didn't work. i also tried a cd lens cleaner which didn't work (but was kind of pointless cuz the xbox couldn't read it to make it work). i called xbox tech support and they said it would cost $130 for repairs. i can't afford that and i think that the problem is something stupid that can be repaired with troubleshooting. does anyone have any suggestions? i'm desperate.

robnyack
06-08-2002, 01:08 PM
wow.....that blows!

I hate to be the one to say it, but, I'm sure someone will be telling you, "see, I told you that you should have gotten the extended warrenty".

hook-worm J
06-08-2002, 01:13 PM
you could try just returning it to the store you bought it from, if you still have the reciept... I know a place like Wal-Mart would do it... Why did you turn it off and then on again right away? Did you do that while you were playing the game? Its not good to do that, but I wouldn't think that it would ruin your xbox....

wweomaniac
06-08-2002, 01:16 PM
whoa thats screwed up to the max.
I don't know what to say.
Wait a day or two... and see if the problem persists.
I doubt its the discs that are dirty

WZERGeek
06-08-2002, 01:26 PM
i had it playing and then i wanted to "reset" it because i had a code on that i didn't want on anymore

Lethaldose12
06-08-2002, 01:26 PM
i know u dont want to hear this but did u buy a warrenty. I bought a 2.5 year warrenty. So if anything goes wrong i get a new one. Sorry to hear bout you xbox dont know what to tell ya

WZERGeek
06-08-2002, 01:27 PM
I bought it at circuit city about a week after launch. would they let me take it back?

Snake Eyez
06-08-2002, 01:54 PM
I seriously doubt it. The warrenty that you get from the store has already expired, even if you have a receipt. I think that there is nothing that circuit city will do for you.

wweomaniac
06-08-2002, 02:47 PM
I hAVE FIGURED IT OUT!!
Buy another XBOX... BUT HOLD ON.
Put your old "broken" xbox in the box and refund it.
Now you have a new xbox and the old one is back in the store.

Hopefully you haven't registered your xbox at xbox.com yet.

Slacker
06-08-2002, 03:01 PM
Okay so you Turned it off then on real quick?? did you try shutting it off again waiting then turn it on then putting in a Disk?
also why would you have to reset it to delete a Code, and what game was it that makes you do that so I know not to buy it, also Go to Xbox.com and buy a extended warranty from them, I think you can even if you did get a Xbox from launch , then it will only be 50 bucks maybe that will work,

Plewis
06-08-2002, 03:20 PM
maybe if you get 10 posts ur problems will disappear...:rolleyes:

WZERGeek
06-08-2002, 04:16 PM
can i still buy an extended warranty even though i bought my xbox at lauch? if not i might try and open up my xbox to see if there is something noticeably wrong in there, my warranty is already gone, Right? (please tell me if i'm wrong, cuz i don't want to void a warranty if i do still have something)

WZERGeek
06-08-2002, 04:38 PM
i called xbox hotline and i can't get the extended warranty. so i have 3 options: 1. pay for repairs 2. buy a new xbox 3. try to fix it myself

being that i don't have that kind of money to spend. i'm going to try to fix it. i'll take any advice or suggestions.

Hugh_Jass
06-08-2002, 06:02 PM
I would unplug the XBOX for 24 hours, then plug it back in to see if everything is okay again.

monkeyman
06-08-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by WZERGeek
i had it playing and then i wanted to "reset" it because i had a code on that i didn't want on anymore

its gods way of telling you cheating is wrong!!!!!!

tWoTOMA
06-08-2002, 06:16 PM
I had the same problem. Try putting in an audio CD and see if it works. If it does, you have the same problem as me, a bad DVD laser. If it doesn't read CD's either, it could be any number of problems. Try one more thing, delete everything from your hard drive. Some times corrupt files will ruin your Xbox because when the Xbox boots up it reads all of the files. If clearing the HD doesn't work, send it in like I did.

P.S. Mine was under warranty so that's easy for me to say.

WZERGeek
06-08-2002, 06:21 PM
i tried a cd, no luck. i'm going to unplug it like somebody said. and erase my hard drive. Can i fit halo and about 2 or 3 other game saves on a memory card? i don't particularly want to lose my halo saved game. thanks for all the advice. i'm gonna pray something works. hopefully my xbox hahahha.

BCan
06-09-2002, 05:11 AM
Just a quick question, is it potentially a problem of the environment of where the XBOX is? Is there too much heat or humidity? I have had a problem with a DVD player due to the room it was in being too humid one day, I left it somewhere dry to get rid of the residual water......

WZERGeek
06-09-2002, 09:48 AM
i don't think it's the environment. but it could be because i took it downstairs to watch a dvd and left it there overnight. then it crapped out on me in the morning but i still got a little bit of playing in in the morning. hopefully that's the only problem. thanks

Spike Minoda
06-09-2002, 04:20 PM
hahaha (not laughing at your situation) get 2 more posts and you are set!

The Classic "UTP Syndrome". lol. I hated it.

shrapnel
06-09-2002, 10:45 PM
dude i really think u should buy a brand new one at a shop that will let u take it back for a refund if it fukes up
so buy a new one put ur old one in the box and take it back
then its all good

NonFanboy
06-09-2002, 11:18 PM
Im sorry to hear about your problems with your xbox, take it from me I know what it's like to have a broken console. But ya know, it's not your fault that MS doesnt give you a decent warrenty, you have to admit that 3 month's is pathetic. When my PS2 had problems, about 4 days after the warrenty expired sony said I would have to pay $129 to get it fixed, I said **** that and hung up the phone. 1 month later my PS2 still wasnt working, so I wrote a short letter explaining to Sony that they sold me a low quality product and they should back what they sell. Sony sent me a coupon for 1 free repair and 2 free PS2 games. Maybe you should try writing to MS and explain to them that people shouldnt have to pay for a decent warrenty. Im kinda a hipocrite because i bought the 2 year warrenty....:eek: