PDA

View Full Version : Xboy?

Nat
06-08-2002, 02:18 PM
On the Gamespot forums, there is a topic about a handheld machine called the Xboy, made by Microsoft. I wasn't sure if it was a real rumor, or just a topic created by Gamespot to boost interest in their forums, so I came here. So, have any of you heard a rumor that Microsoft is creating a handheld to compete with GBA? I heard a rumor a while back at some trade show that Microsoft was creating something like a Palm Pilot, but that's all I've heard about it. What do you guys think? It would be pretty cool if Microsoft made a handheld, think of playing Halo, PGR, Dead or Alive, etc on it!

Xbox Owner
06-08-2002, 02:28 PM
LoL! Dude that would be the sweetest thing!!!!

Nat
06-08-2002, 02:52 PM
Yea, I thought it would be pretty sweet too. I hope its real.

E-Xbox
06-08-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by XBox Owner
LoL! Dude that would be the sweetest thing!!!!

yea...
that would be killer..
i wonder if its reall..

peace

faceoff508
06-08-2002, 03:49 PM
That would be cool!!

Snoopy7548
06-08-2002, 04:01 PM
i doubt that it will be as good as xbox. the graphics will probly be really bad, it wouldnt even be worth it

Crazy Joe
06-08-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
i doubt that it will be as good as xbox. the graphics will probly be really bad, it wouldnt even be worth it

the graphics wouldn't even be close to xbox, better than SNES though, that is what GBA is, maybe comparable to PSone or N64?

monkeyman
06-08-2002, 04:17 PM
yeah that would be cool but xboy?? i know it wont be called that if it were real

RadRider
06-08-2002, 05:49 PM
This is very old news.
Microsoft had said they were hoping to launch a hand held system sometime after the Xbox, depending on how well the Xbox was recieved. The plan was to have powerful, 3D hardware in a handheld device, over and above what the PS2 and N64 could do, let alone what the GBA could do.

Unfortunately, because of the somewhat less than stellar sales of the Xbox, the "Xboy" as it's so called, probably won't ever be made.

Hugh_Jass
06-08-2002, 05:59 PM
Hmmm...all they'd have to do is strip down a Pocket PC and release it at a sub-$100 price point. I'm sure they could find a bunch of old Windows games and port them to the PPC. I've already seen Warcarft 2 on PPC and it looks great.

MS handheld? If they made it backlit I'd buy one for sure.

Nat
06-08-2002, 06:10 PM
Well, I hope they make it, I would love to buy a handheld made by Microsoft; the Xbox is so powerful, imagine what their handheld could do! And yes, Xboy is a stupid name, the only reason I call it that is because the Gamespot forums call it that. What do mean by less then stellar sales on Xbox? I thought Xbox was doing pretty well; the price drop here in North America was said to have increased sales dramatically, Xbox in Europe was selling on par with PS2, and Xbox was finally showing some sales in Japan. When was the news about Microsoft's handheld released anyway? You said it was "old news".

RadRider
06-08-2002, 06:22 PM
In November sometime, possibly earlier. When Microsoft went all out with media before the Xbox launch is when news about the handheld surfaced. Of course you can't count on me for complete accuracy, but it was roughly November last year.

As for not selling well.. Well, there's about 4 million units sold worldwide. Although that's not too bad, the GameCube is just behind with roughly 4 million units also sold worldwide, while the PS2 is over 20 million. Microsoft was hoping for 100 million units sold by the time the system's life was over, and I think 10 million in the first 6 months. So far it's not doing so good, but maybe the price drop will change that.

I know you personally didn't call it the "Xboy", as that's what it was called back when I first heard about the system. I still think it's a stupid name though. :D

Nat
06-08-2002, 06:30 PM
Agreed, "Xboy" is a stupid name. I still hope it's released though.

E-Xbox
06-09-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Nat
Agreed, "Xboy" is a stupid name. I still hope it's released though.
i gaurentee if they released it..
it wouldnt have that name..
hehe

peace

noodleboy
06-10-2002, 06:30 AM
Well since only a year has gone by since Nintendo released the GBA, I can see why M$ wants to put one out. The GBA has sold millions and millions in the past year and has virtually no competition. It is definitely a good idea, and if they made it compatible with the Xbox, that reason alone would sell the hell out of the portable machine.

glennlear
06-10-2002, 08:07 AM
According to the book, "Opening the Xbox," the Xboy was cancelled in 1999 to focus on the Xbox. Microsoft was never fully behind the project, it was meerly a side distraction.

E-Xbox
06-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by glennlear
According to the book, "Opening the Xbox," the Xboy was cancelled in 1999 to focus on the Xbox. Microsoft was never fully behind the project, it was meerly a side distraction.

interesting..

btw..
WELCOME TO XBA glennlear!!!!
hope u enjoy it ~!

peace