PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind XBOX vs PC version *surprise victory*

faceoff508
06-08-2002, 03:33 PM
The PC version came to stores and was picked up quite quickly. Owners of Morrowind were mostly Daggerfall(the precursor to Morrowind's greatness on PC) fans.

But, then there soon came a flurry of complaints. The game would not run AT ALL on most PCs. The load times were messed up in that sometimes it took forever or even simply hanged. Most PCs though suffered from a steady stutter throughout the game, even in parts where you would not think there is loading. The graphics were labelled as "beautiful" as most sites didn't want to playdown the game's size, but they knew it didn't look that good.

The PC users that can run the game, acknowledge that something is very wrong and the game needs patching ASAP. They also wonder if there will be graphical improvements.

However review sites, mags, and ads tout Morrowind as the best RPG in years, many giving the game 9/10 as they looked beyond the errors.
And all was good.

Until the Xbox version came(and I got a chance to play it)!

Here is the battle :
Xbox vs top of the line PC (insert GF4, P4 2ghz, whatever you want, it still runs like garbage)

Graphics category : Xbox wins in this, as it can do the GF3 "real water" effect with NO slowdown. Infact you can have large battles in the water, and not even crash or get below 20-30fps (not many PCs can do this. Xbox is also very stable and seems to have FSAA on, the low res of the T.V mimics a good 1024x768 resolution on the PC or better(which is very high since the game dies at anything above that even on maxed out PCs).

Winner = Xbox

Loading times : There's no competition AT ALL here. The xbox caches most loads so that you will have *INSTANT* load times in most places. This is not possible at all on PC, the code to do that simply isn't there making you have to load at weird times and often. Being a game of many saves/loads to get your skills up and try things, this is very important.

Winner = Xbox

Controls : Again, no contest. You can go through dialogue sections in seconds and forward the story in huge clear text on a big T.V screen. The movement is just like Halo, superior to the clunky PC setup which makes you move like a robot.

Winner = Xbox

Features : You get a nice map, and a very good instructions manual. The PC version has a level editor, but who the **** cares when the game doesn't even run on PC and looks like crap compared to the xbox version?

Winner = Xbox

Excellent graphics, defeats the PC in every category easily. Also a MUST OWN for all Xbox owners. I was simply amazed. I had doubts on the graphics at a low resolution, but they have done an amazing job.

Since there's no bugs I give this game a SOLID 10/10. There is no experience on the market like this. If you are into the future of gaming, and not simply watching a boring movie where you can't do anything, you got your wish here.

ONLY ON XBOX.

You owe it to yourself to at least rent it, even if you have the PC version(I have both versions now, and regret the PC acquisition).

E-Xbox
06-08-2002, 03:48 PM
i already new that the xbox version would come out..
so this is not a surprise at all...

peace

Crazy Joe
06-08-2002, 04:21 PM
sweeeeet, i was wondering about how they compared, i haven't had a chance to play either yet.

just curious, is that your opinion, or did that come from somewhere else? it is well written if you wrote it.

LynxFX
06-08-2002, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't blame the PC on being the problem. It is the developers and their horendous code. Why do you think it kept getting delayed for the Xbox? They had stuff to fix and releasing patches won't work for the Xbox version. Too bad they didn't take the time with the PC one.

Oh well, I won't play either. :)

Xbox Owner
06-08-2002, 06:47 PM
Hehe, I thought everyone was saying the PC version was better, oh well.

Well, I know you didn't type that, faceoff, because you didn't use to much, "!'s" lol jk

faceoff508
06-08-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by XBox Owner
Hehe, I thought everyone was saying the PC version was better, oh well.

Well, I know you didn't type that, faceoff, because you didn't use to much, "!'s" lol jk

LOL!!

But I didnt type it up!! I got it from Xbox 365!!

Xbox Owner
06-08-2002, 07:12 PM
Oh..Cool..well thanks!

Crazy Joe
06-08-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by faceoff508

LOL!!

But I didnt type it up!! I got it from Xbox 365!!

it's no big deal, but you should say that in your post and give a link when you copy and paste stuff.

Belt Fed
06-08-2002, 08:48 PM
ya right:rolleyes: y'all must have some pretty crappy computers then.

faceoff508
06-08-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Belt Fed
ya right:rolleyes: y'all must have some pretty crappy computers then.

ITS NOT MINE!!

Woocifer
06-08-2002, 10:22 PM
What a load of ***** this is. Just because someone writes down, the xbox is better with the graphics, does not make it true....

The GeForce4 is the card they used to display early movies of the game in which the water was AMAZING and ran EXTREMELY smooth. In fact most of the graphics on my pc with a GeForce2 card look WAY better than the graphics on the Xbox. Reasons why? Well basically the resolution has a lot to do with it...but also a lot of the textures were dulled out on the Xbox to make the game load quicker and make it run smoother...in which it still runs extremely ticky. As it was said before, a lot of the problems on this game are in the code. Whoever coded it was not that good...

Anyway, the Xbox version is kinda cheesy lookin compared to a pc. Just load it up on a pc and take a look at the night sky, it has a lot of texture, depth and realism whereas the Xbox is flat, pixelated and has as much depth as a piece of paper.

I'm not biased nor did I want it to be this way. I heard the Xbox was supposed to be better...but I'm not looking through tired biased eyes. People are giving this game more credit than it deserves just because they got so hyped about it.

But like everything in this world, if you believe it is the best, then you will fight and ***** for it as much as possible...so I'm not surprised at the over abundant support JUST because it's on the Xbox....blah

EHWfedPres
06-09-2002, 09:58 PM
My friend had a voodoo 5 card on his pc and his morrowind graphics blow my Xbox's morrowind graphics clean right out of the amazing looking water in the game...

Also, the PC version has several small things that the Xbox dosent...

FuNkY mOnK
06-10-2002, 09:14 AM
xbox is capable of handling way better graphics than that of morowind, if you look back in the history of Bethesda they never take advantage of the technology or at least don’t know how, look at shreks bump maps why not use some in morrowind? Or at least try the recipe, in this case it’s not the hardware it’s the programmers. This is the only xbox game to date that has horrendous draw distance, but nonetheless the game is beautiful inside.

OppiumNitrates
06-10-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by faceoff508

Features : You get a nice map, and a very good instructions manual. The PC version has a level editor, but who the **** cares when the game doesn't even run on PC and looks like crap compared to the xbox version?

Winner = Xbox

although the map is awsoem it doesnt make up for the TES construction kit cauz u can create cloths, majik, spells and quests and if i had it i would make a black cloke for my thief cauz i cant find any cool cloths . . . .