PDA

View Full Version : problem with my big screen--help

openbahr
06-09-2002, 09:52 PM
i bought an xbox about a month ago and hooked it up to my 48 in projection tv. it was working ok but then it started to go to black and white. so i took it back and got a new one

now, the new one is kinda flickering between b+w and color, so i bought a s-video hook up for it. it worked fine for the first 5 mins. but then it started flickering again.

does anyone know what is going on?

please help me

Frostberg
06-09-2002, 10:38 PM
Do you have a regular DVD player or a game console that you could hookup to the same inputs you tried with your xbox?

openbahr
06-10-2002, 05:11 AM
ps1 works fine

BCan
06-10-2002, 05:17 AM
Remember that not all projectors, or TV's, especially digital tv's can handle the input from a console, so you may actually be causing the problem yourself by using the XBOX on your projector...

openbahr
06-10-2002, 02:46 PM
so not all projection tvs can handle xbox????

its a sony 48 in projection tv.

does anyone know

would ps2 work??

openbahr
06-10-2002, 05:40 PM
anyone??

please

wweomaniac
06-10-2002, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't suggest playing xbox on a big screen. Anything over 36" that is project I wouldnt suggest playing xbox on. The rules been like this ever since Playstation 1 came out.

Snoopy7548
06-10-2002, 05:59 PM
i sometimes play on my 50 inch rear projection tv. ive played psx and xbox on it for hours at a time, and ive had no problems. all i do is turn the contrast like all the way down:D

Nerrad529
06-10-2002, 06:11 PM
Maybe you got too much stuff hooked up if not. If not try it on a smaller tv if you have another.

Frostberg
06-10-2002, 06:17 PM
Make sure it isn't your way of connecting to the TV that is messed up...that they are all secure or try like an advance av pack if you have one instead of the regular cables to make sure your cables aren't defective

Snoopy7548
06-10-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by openbahr
i bought an xbox about a month ago and hooked it up to my 48 in projection tv. it was working ok but then it started to go to black and white. so i took it back and got a new one

now, the new one is kinda flickering between b+w and color, so i bought a s-video hook up for it. it worked fine for the first 5 mins. but then it started flickering again.

does anyone know what is going on?

please help me

check the connections. like u know where the plugs connect into the holes? while they are still plugged in, jiggle them a little, and see if anything happens on the screen. because my front inputs for my 20 inch panasonic tv dont really work. like the video goes in out alot, and when i jiggle them, it goes in and out.:D

Hugh_Jass
06-10-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
I wouldn't suggest playing xbox on a big screen. Anything over 36" that is project I wouldnt suggest playing xbox on. The rules been like this ever since Playstation 1 came out.

I can't believe anyone would advocate using a smaller screen with the XBOX. The XBOX is capable of such beautiful graphics. I want to enjoy them in all the splendor that a big screen can provide.

Snoopy7548
06-10-2002, 07:50 PM
imagine playing it on a movie theater screen? oh my god id be in gaming heaven, lol. and the sound would be soooooo awesome!:D

l Maximus l
06-10-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

I can't believe anyone would advocate using a smaller screen with the XBOX. The XBOX is capable of such beautiful graphics. I want to enjoy them in all the splendor that a big screen can provide.

And everyone said: Amen :D

DBXNY
06-11-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by openbahr
so not all projection tvs can handle xbox????

its a sony 48 in projection tv.

does anyone know

would ps2 work??

If X-box won't work, PS2 probably wont work either. If you tried more than one X-box, I'd say the issue is with the TV or your connections. I've never heard of a projection TV, or any other TV in the U.S. that would be incompatible with a gaming console, as long as the video meets NTSC standards, which is required by law.

I'd say double-check your inputs and settings on the TV. Also, just to confirm, are you referring to game playback or DVD playback? If there is a VCR in the loop of your connection, then DVD playback can cause exactly the problem you describe.

BCan
06-11-2002, 10:07 PM
From what I here, games consoles aren't that overly "nice" to larger TV screens and projectors, as they provide a different kind of picture than that of normal TV. What I mean by that, there is usually alot of residual screen image not changed, which usually leads to screen burn.

I can remember reading it somewhere, that not all TV's are "Compatible" with consoles, ie they lack the quality in their build to really operate properly with them.

If you have tried another XBOX with it, and it still fails to work properly - then is the problem really with the TV?

openbahr
06-11-2002, 10:08 PM
im talkin game playback.

i havent tried dvd yet

man, this is really killin me.

i hope someone reads this and knows what the prob is

openbahr
06-12-2002, 04:22 PM
yes

i took my xbox back to the store (for the second time)
and got a new one.

i get it home hook it up to my projection tv and bang theres that beautiful green screen.

so i throw in spider man to see if it lasts and i played for about a half hour, and so far-so good

so maybe i did get 2 defective consoles in a row.
maybe the stor got a bad bunch

but thank all of you for your help.

btw--- i called sony to see if they knew of an existing problem with their tvs and xbox. well the guy was pretty clueless but he said that they dont reccomend playing any video game on a projection tv because of screen burn.

do any of you guys use a big screen, and if so, do you have any problems?

Snoopy7548
06-12-2002, 04:32 PM
yea, i have a rear projection tv. all i do is turn the contrast like all the way down, and i never have any problems. ive played my xbox for like 3-5 hours straight on that tv, and theres no problems with it:D

LynxFX
06-12-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac

How in the world did I miss that post. :eek:

Second Amen to Hugh_Jass's post.

imagine playing it on a movie theater screen?
Already do. ;)