PDA

View Full Version : is morrowind the greatest rpg ever or what?

knns
06-10-2002, 12:59 AM
i think morrowind is probably the best rpg ever. what do u think?

hardline28
06-10-2002, 01:11 AM
Its a great game. I don't think I will spend as much time on this one as I did Ultima Online, but it is a fantastic game. This is a must buy

l Maximus l
06-10-2002, 01:46 AM
I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy Morrowind. I haven't even seen the game in action, but, I am intrigued by it's premise. I can't honestly say that I have ever played a *true* full fledged RPG...I can't think of one... My question: Is Morrowind a good game to get initiated into the RPG genre? :confused:

Hermes
06-10-2002, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy Morrowind. I haven't even seen the game in action, but, I am intrigued by it's premise. I can't honestly say that I have ever played a *true* full fledged RPG...I can't think of one... My question: Is Morrowind a good game to get initiated into the RPG genre? :confused:

This is my first RPG that I have ever owned and I must say that I love this game. Being an action and FPS fan, I must say that the combat of Morrowind reaallyy ****es me off sometimes but I understand why it is the way it is. When I swing a big azz two handed claymore, I expect to knock some mutha down and kill him like nothing. But I understand that since I have no blade skillz, I will never make contact. Man, this ****es me off sometimes. I know, though, that sooner or later I will be kicking butt. And It keeps me playing. Some people could understandabley hate this game though, and as much as I love it, I would say rent it first.

EHWfedPres
06-10-2002, 10:33 AM
Morrowind is the only real rpg on a console today. Other games like Ultima 8 and other non-linear games are other great rpg's as well. Ultima Online is a massive multiplayer rpg, which kicks major áss by the way. I used to play UO all day long, every day last summer.

So if you like being trapped in the game, forced to do things at certain times...then play all those wanna-be rpg's on PoS2...but if you want to go about your business and kill townsfolk, steal their stuff and sell it, then go ahead. Morrowind never ends. There is not way to end the game. You just keep playing forever. After you figure out what your doing, then it's a real fun game. You can seriously play it for hours on end every single day and still not get bored. The game itself is amazingly huge, and with the sheer number of spells and weapons and armor and everything, you can fool around with each and find out what one your best with.

Ninja Scroll
06-10-2002, 10:42 AM
Best RPG ever? I doubt it.:rolleyes:

Try playing " Skies Of Arcadia" and then you will know what the greatest RPG ever is like.
It's on Dreamcast, but Sega said they will be porting it to all console except for Xbox,.. what's up wit dat?
Hope they change their minds.:)

JJaX
06-10-2002, 11:19 AM
I love the damn game!

Theres so much to do. I can just lay there and zone out for a few hours and just get lost in the world. Its amazing how everyone who plays it will get a different experience. We got 3 xboxs at my pad and all 3 of us are all of doing different things. Right now im a level 3 Dark elf custom class "ELITE" :D My major skills are long blades, Med armor, marksman and some other stuff. Right now my guy looks cool as hell to, I stole this really expensive orgre mask '35 armor rating' (Genma onimusha ogre mask) and this cool ass heavy armor and a nice long blade that poisons :D I have 0 bounty on my head and im a swordsman for the fighters guild. My last mission i had to go bust up these theives outside the mines of Caldera. God i love this game!

Ninja Scroll
06-10-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
I love the damn game!

Theres so much to do. I can just lay there and zone out for a few hours and just get lost in the world. Its amazing how everyone who plays it will get a different experience. We got 3 xboxs at my pad and all 3 of us are all of doing different things. Right now im a level 3 Dark elf custom class "ELITE" :D My major skills are long blades, Med armor, marksman and some other stuff. Right now my guy looks cool as hell to, I stole this really expensive orgre mask '35 armor rating' (Genma onimusha ogre mask) and this cool ass heavy armor and a nice long blade that poisons :D I have 0 bounty on my head and im a swordsman for the fighters guild. My last mission i had to go bust up these theives outside the mines of Caldera. God i love this game!

If my nephew Jjax says he loves this game then I will have to give it a second thought....hhmmmm,....just bought KiddyCube & RE, and now waiting for WMX8 to come in mail at work...hhmm... what's a Ninja to do with game time?:confused:

OppiumNitrates
06-10-2002, 12:02 PM
hey JJax no bounty . . . . u eighter play the good guy in Morrwond that u dont play here on the boards or u dont get caught for the wrong doings that u partake in . . . im guessing the latter . . .

anyway . . the game is great, the greatest, possibly but i havnet played enough RPGs to make that decision . . . . but ill tell yeah, u could really get lost in this game. i was lost in the menu screan making potions and trying to get my alchemy up for an hour or so last night . . . . .

XBOX Dude
06-10-2002, 12:04 PM
yeah morrowind is awesome and it's almost to overwhelming to handle there so much to see and do and i'm just trying to get stronger so i can really start to explore the world and see what it really holds

FuNkY mOnK
06-10-2002, 01:35 PM
Morrowind as of right now is the king of all rpgs to date. This is a non-linear game and needs to be mastered; you must become familiar with the world and the species that inhabit this world. This is not ff, grandia, or skies of arcadia, these are traditional turn base combat and linear game play. Morrowind is the big boy toy. Where else in an rpg can you contemplate an assassin on a leader of a certain village or country? From conversations with NPC leads me to believe this goal can be considered, what are the gains? Who knows? It’s this that makes morrowind a class of it’s own. I love this game, and recommend it to anyone with major patience for good things to come.

silvertrace
06-10-2002, 01:43 PM
in my opinion morrowind is one of the best games i've played, the variety that can choose from means alot of replay value....:cool:

also the graphics and sound are stellar, but not to be overlooked is the immersion, u feel connected and lose yourself in the game

this to me represents a great game:D

Alec
06-10-2002, 02:52 PM
AHHHH!!! I must have zoned out or something don't yell at me but I have never heard of Morrowind until today...... Don't hurt me :( :(

I got some questions does Xboxaddict have some screenshots from the game, can i buy it in best buy, circuit city, or targer at this moment.

And have you guys ever played the RPG Arcanum? From the way you are describing Morrowind it sounds a lot like Arcanum. But I could be totally off. One more thing is there a way to turn off Turn Base Combat and switch it to Real Time Combat?

OppiumNitrates
06-10-2002, 02:56 PM
acually alec u would be turning off real time combat and turning on turn based cauz morrowind is a real time combat RPG . . .

Kortiz
06-10-2002, 03:11 PM
ok.....i have a few questions about this game hea!!!

on the PC version i have heard there were several bugs throughout the game.......is this the same for the Xbox?

I am broke at the moment so until i get some money i wont be buying Morrowind.....anyway it is next on my list if a few things have been fixed from the PC version. Never seen this game in action soo......who knows, i didnt know what to think with Shenmue when i bought it.....AND I LOVE THAT GAME!!!

yuppers...GIMMAH!!:) :cool: ;) :eek: :cool:

Mercury
06-10-2002, 05:16 PM
Skies of Arcadia is a piece of **** compared to Morrowind.

Morrowind is THE BEST rgp that has come out in a very long time. It has everything you want in an rpg and it can last a very long time. No one gets short changed with this baby. It's the best and I have lost myself in this great game.

mercsix
06-10-2002, 06:38 PM
Okay I have played MW for about 50 hours now (my wife is ****ed off) and I have to say this is a truly epic RPG. I read some of the reviews where people said once you reach 30-35th level you are godlike. After 50hrs (no exaggeration) I am just now 11th level and can barely hold my own against some characters. So at this rate only 100 more hours of gameplay I will be a bada** mofo. I love this game and truly believe that it is one of the greatest RPG's ever.

Tkf5000
06-10-2002, 06:41 PM
I am tired of writing a crapload about this game so now i will just say it is the best rpg ever go buy it and the prophecies book now!

Master Gracey
06-10-2002, 07:26 PM
I haven't enjoyed any RPG's since the Quest For Glory series... and Morrowind is bigger and more immersive than all five of them put together! It's easily the best game I've ever played. Period.

Granted, I had never heard of Arena or Daggerfall, but I'm not a big PC gamer.

Rancey
06-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Definetely my fave RPG since...well...mmm....Fallout 1 & 2 :) But nothing's ever gonna beat those bad boys (PLEASE bring out Fallout 3)....in short, Morrowind rocks :)

Dre
06-11-2002, 12:40 PM
It really has me hooked.. thats for sure. I'm at work right now and instead of working I'm checking out folklore on Morrowind :D

I would definitely have to say that this is one of the best RPG's I've ever had the chance to play.

OppiumNitrates
06-11-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Master Gracey
I haven't enjoyed any RPG's since the Quest For Glory series... and Morrowind is bigger and more immersive than all five of them put together! It's easily the best game I've ever played. Period.

Granted, I had never heard of Arena or Daggerfall, but I'm not a big PC gamer.

Quest for Glory eh . . .

So you want to be a Hero??

Tkf5000
06-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Morrowind is too good for words. If you dont have it you better go get it now!! I cant stop playing and this is only the second time i stopped to get on the comp. Usually im on the computer for a looong time everyday.

Dre
06-11-2002, 02:39 PM
Now that I think back on it. In over 60 hrs of playing, I've never once had anything to do with the main quest. I've been doing strictly mage guild and telvanni duties. I still have a whole 100+ hours of main-questing whenever I'm happy with my position in the mage guild and telvanni house. I love this game!!

OppiumNitrates
06-11-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Now that I think back on it. In over 60 hrs of playing, I've never once had anything to do with the main quest. I've been doing strictly mage guild and telvanni duties. I still have a whole 100+ hours of main-questing whenever I'm happy with my position in the mage guild and telvanni house. I love this game!!

i thought the mage guild hated the Telvanni house or was that some other house??

BTW i have been doing mage guild quests, looking for thiefs guild, and always getting side tracked for hours at a time . . . .besides i dont plan on atempting the main for a while myself

Master Gracey
06-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates
Quest for Glory eh . . .

So you want to be a Hero??

LOL! :D I was only about 10 when that first one came out... and it was called Hero's Quest. I actually have a copy of that game with the "Hero's Quest" box and everything!

As Dre said, this game is impressive in it's size. I've logged in nearly 50 hours so far and haven't touched any quests from any house or guild. I also haven't even been to Balmora to start the main quest! I've been going from town to town making 100/100 friends with everybody. Now people who don't even know me yet say nice things when I pass by! Not to mention that in 50+ hours, I've only been to five towns and one of them is Vivec, which is like nine separate towns. I've only been to 2 of Vivec's 9 cantons so far... it's gonna be scary to see how many hours it's going to take to finish my game, but I'll love every minute of it! :D

OppiumNitrates
06-11-2002, 02:58 PM

LOL! :D I was only about 10 when that first one came out... and it was called Hero's Quest. I actually have a copy of that game with the "Hero's Quest" box and everything!

i think that "Quest for Glory: So you want to be a hero?" was the first one . . . or maybe the third can't remember but i loved that game. . .

Dre
06-11-2002, 03:13 PM

i thought the mage guild hated the Telvanni house or was that some other house??

BTW i have been doing mage guild quests, looking for thiefs guild, and always getting side tracked for hours at a time . . . .besides i dont plan on atempting the main for a while myself

Yes, they don't seem to like each other much... yet. I plan on rectifying the situation when I am head of both parties :)

Master Gracey
06-11-2002, 03:18 PM
i think that "Quest for Glory: So you want to be a hero?" was the first one . . . or maybe the third can't remember but i loved that game. . .

You're absolutely correct! The first game in the series was originally called "Hero's Quest" but then Sierra was sued by a company who had a game with the same name... so the first one was changed to "Quest For Glory: So You Want To Be A Hero". The second game in the series (the one in the desert) has always been my fav. The third was good, the fourth was a joke, and the fifth could barely tread water.

OppiumNitrates
06-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Dre

Yes, they don't seem to like each other much... yet. I plan on rectifying the situation when I am head of both parties :)

nice dude u really think that its possible . . . .

i joined the mage guild . . . . even though i am a thief and kind of a wizard . . . but i figured that joining the Telvanni house sould get u kick out of the guild . . . since they dont get along

OppiumNitrates
06-11-2002, 03:20 PM

You're absolutely correct! The first game in the series was originally called "Hero's Quest" but then Sierra was sued by a company who had a game with the same name... so the first one was changed to "Quest For Glory: So You Want To Be A Hero". The second game in the series (the one in the desert) has always been my fav. The third was good, the fourth was a joke, and the fifth could barely tread water.

WHAT ?!?!?! i had heros quest it was a board game . . .

Quest for Glory 2: Trial by fire

Tkf5000
06-11-2002, 03:23 PM
i am in theives guild and fighterss guild and they hate eachother. one bad thing tho is later in the game the fighters have to kill some theives and the theives have to kill some fighters. doing this gets you expelled for killing your own guildmembers.

Master Gracey
06-11-2002, 03:26 PM
nice dude u really think that its possible . . . .

i joined the mage guild . . . . even though i am a thief and kind of a wizard . . . but i figured that joining the Telvanni house sould get u kick out of the guild . . . since they dont get along

I don't know what's possible yet... this game's just so big! :D I have a feeling you can be a member of all the guilds, but you can only be a member of one of the houses. I was actually told by someone in the game that if you become a member of a house, no other house will even look at you.

I really want to join the Twin Lamps if it's possible. The main quest concerns the Blades, so I'm sure I'll be there eventually. About the only thing that I think you can't be a part of is the Commona Tong... they have such contempt for outlanders that you probably can't find a sponsor. Even at 100/100 friends with some of the members, they won't tell me the time of day. Besides, if you join the Theives Guild, you'll probably have missions against the Commona Tong because they are at war with each other... but I don't know because I haven't joined a guild yet. :D

Master Gracey
06-11-2002, 03:28 PM
WHAT ?!?!?! i had heros quest it was a board game . . .

Quest for Glory 2: Trial by fire

Once again, you are correct! Both of them!!! :D

The game that was called "Hero's Quest" was a board game... and whatever company made it was the one that was going to sue Sierra over the computer game.