PDA

View Full Version : Weather Effects in Games...

JimmieDoogan
06-10-2002, 02:38 PM
Why do games have such a hard time emulating such things? The clouds in games never move, when it rains, you can't see the water hitting the ground. The snow doesn't fall then pile up on the ground, nor does ice form anywhere. When will they get this right? It seems as though the Xbox could be capable of showing us these things, but will a developer ever bring them to light?

I am sure there could be a way to allow the weather to even play an integral part in the gameplay (how you play). Morrowind does LOOK cool though. I'd gotten lost on top of a mountain for a while due to a majorly messed up dust storm. MAN there was crap flying everywhere. I had to find a place to get out of the weather because I couldn't see where I was going, so I holed up in a cave. Something like this is what I speak of yet, even that doesn't truly convey the message.

I want my character to be walking around, and as it gets cold he has to make camp. In the morning it could be very icy around and I'd have to watch my step as I walked. Around cliffs and what not, where as the day before it was just windy. The rain could actually touch the ground instead of falling through it (like it does on MGS2). It could form puddles of water on a dirt road as you walk down it. Avalances, floods, tornado's volcano's, the WHOLE speal.

Mind you it seems such things would only really be a factor in RPG's and RTS games but I'm sure they could be applied accross the boards. What do yall think?

Alec
06-10-2002, 02:44 PM
I think the Developers are just plain Lazy. :) I bet they could make the games a lot better then they are, yes even Halo, :)

MOrgE
06-10-2002, 02:56 PM
i doubt it has to do with their laziness...
they DO want to make money... and if they were lazy, they would have become Librarians :)

to me, it seems like they are only discovering the "weather" possibilites in gaming... Morrowind being a good first "experiment"
for them...

In the future, i think we can look forward to seeing alot more games with weather incorporated into them... and playing a big role...

*cough*Project Ego*cough*
:)

Xbox Owner
06-10-2002, 03:02 PM
Dude..video games can only do soo much..

OppiumNitrates
06-10-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by XBox Owner

bite your tounge . . .

yeah and mother nature can only do soo much too . . .

good call though Jimmy , , , like if u walk around in the rain for too long u get sick . . . .

where u losing health in the wind storm . .like where the things blowing around hitting u or doing damage??

JimmieDoogan
06-10-2002, 03:22 PM
YES GOOD EXAMPLE. Getting wet while walking around... hell, you could even stop in a pub to get dry, and sit next to the fire, soaking wet, dripping everywhere you walk and leaving a trail of water. Something so simple (in terms of our view of it) could be so impactual in a game.

JJaX
06-10-2002, 03:25 PM
The coolest 'weather' effects ive seen that actual make the models look diferent is after a mud race in rali sport. How sweet is that :)

E-Xbox
06-10-2002, 04:03 PM

thats what people said when the NES came out..
now look..
xbox !
WOW!

peace

faceoff508
06-10-2002, 04:41 PM

Is that what you are going to say when they make a better system in the futre!

Woocifer
06-10-2002, 05:14 PM
Do you know how much processing power it would take for weather to be that physical? It certainly is not contained in the Xbox. That's like saying why can't graphics in games be as good as the cutscenes...

Imagine having to keep track of every droplet of water that falls and then how it reacts to the certain texture it hits and THEN making it form into a puddle....having every inidividual polygon reacting to a blowing wind...and I don't just mean the ones on screen.

It would take A LOT of scripting and processing power to keep track of everything.

As for the environment effects on a character, sure that would be cool, maybe you should write some developers about a survival type game or something along those lines.

Kraft
06-10-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
YES GOOD EXAMPLE. Getting wet while walking around... hell, you could even stop in a pub to get dry, and sit next to the fire, soaking wet, dripping everywhere you walk and leaving a trail of water. Something so simple (in terms of our view of it) could be so impactual in a game.

Yeah, I would love to have to stop playing my video game to sit by a fire for 20 minutes to dry off. That would be the most excitement I've had since I watched my water boil for lunch today...

E-Xbox
06-10-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Yeah, I would love to have to stop playing my video game to sit by a fire for 20 minutes to dry off. That would be the most excitement I've had since I watched my water boil for lunch today...
wat?!
did u misinterpret something?!

peace

Rusted Gundam
06-10-2002, 05:36 PM
Yea, I know thou shalt not talk about the PS2,but In metal gear solid 2 when your on the boat at the start. If you stay outside for a long time you get a "cold" sneezing and chilling (brr type of chilling) cause its raining outside. Also when you step inside you leave footprints of water for some time (like 2 minutes of straight walking) same thing with blood. So they have done some stuff with weather.. Well in MGS2 they have.

JimmieDoogan
06-10-2002, 05:36 PM
Here we go... You could make it into a save point or something, he sits by the fire, a screen pops up asking if you want to save, and after its done doing so, your dry and its twenty minutes later. Come on dood... where's your imagination? Destroyed by games and movies? After all, even Shenmue II has a time advancment feature. For the most part I just want the appearance, they don't have to create millions of lines of code that make it physically real (in a virtual world) but rather, they don't even have a simplistic version of this. I am sure with the way the vertex and pixel shaders work one could pull off the impression of these things.

Kraft
06-10-2002, 06:02 PM
You do realize that they are making these things happen as fast as they can? I don't even understand how they can do some things. That dynamic snow in DOA3 practically blew my mind. You realize the computing power and variables needed to do things like this? Anyways, things like it are happening. Give the programmers a chance to figure out how to make it happen and im sure they will.

E-Xbox
06-10-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
You do realize that they are making these things happen as fast as they can? I don't even understand how they can do some things. That dynamic snow in DOA3 practically blew my mind. You realize the computing power and variables needed to do things like this? Anyways, things like it are happening. Give the programmers a chance to figure out how to make it happen and im sure they will.

tru!
the snow in that doa 3 level was sooo sick!
that game had some madd levels!

peace

Frostberg
06-10-2002, 06:39 PM
Someone needs to look at the weather in Morrowind

E-Xbox
06-10-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg
Someone needs to look at the weather in Morrowind

i havent gotten a chance to go pick it up yet!
it better be good when i get it!

peace

Frostberg
06-10-2002, 06:55 PM
You won't be disapointed!

E-Xbox
06-10-2002, 07:01 PM
You won't be disapointed!
i know..
but i have this week of school..
then next week is exams..
and then im gettin it for sure!
cuz i really really need to do good on these exams cuz i slacked off all year!

peace

dave_m123
06-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Maybe new controllers could be designed that make yur hands warm up or cool down depending on the enviroment.

E-Xbox
06-10-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by dave_m123
Maybe new controllers could be designed that make yur hands warm up or cool down depending on the enviroment.
there is something like that..
there is this one thing..
its a big box..
it just has pong..
but it heats up..cools down..
burns u...wips u..
just your hands...
its the painstation..
but its not for retail!

peace

Rusted Gundam
06-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Yea, I know thou shalt not talk about the PS2,but In metal gear solid 2 when your on the boat at the start. If you stay outside for a long time you get a "cold" sneezing and chilling (brr type of chilling) cause its raining outside. Also when you step inside you leave footprints of water for some time (like 2 minutes of straight walking) same thing with blood. So they have done some stuff with weather.. Well in MGS2 they have.

Yea, I said this before but I dont think many people noticed since someone posted right after me.:(

Msterrrr
06-10-2002, 07:32 PM
check out the weather effects in motoGP by far the best ive seen
from the rain drops and thunder claps to the heat mirage @ valencia on sunny days

if you played the demo it was only 80% done at the time try renting it :) :D

EHWfedPres
06-10-2002, 08:33 PM
Morrowind has the best weather effects ever. The water itself looks realistis, but you can see the rain hitting it. The thunderstorm are insane, the dust storms are very well done, and if you get lost, there is a little button on the controller, it's red and has a B on it. You can hit that, and then either one of the triggers to get to the map, and backtrack the way you came...

khaos2005
06-10-2002, 09:57 PM
Morrowind has the best looking weather I have ever seen, period. I have only been playing for about 10 hours, and have seen 2 (actually 3) different weather effects.

1) A beautiful rain effect, that makes ripples in the water and everything. It seems to hit the ground, and not just "fall through".

2) A pretty interesting dust storm, complete with flying debris. It makes it very difficult to see through, and even affects how you move. When walking into the wind, your character covers his eyes with his hand. Amazing.

3) Sometimes separate from the rain, thunder storms occur. Ground shaking bassy storms, and wonderful bright lighting. It has to be the coolest thing I've ever seen.

What other weather effects are in Morrowind?

E-Xbox
06-10-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by khaos2005
Morrowind has the best looking weather I have ever seen, period. I have only been playing for about 10 hours, and have seen 2 (actually 3) different weather effects.

1) A beautiful rain effect, that makes ripples in the water and everything. It seems to hit the ground, and not just "fall through".

2) A pretty interesting dust storm, complete with flying debris. It makes it very difficult to see through, and even affects how you move. When walking into the wind, your character covers his eyes with his hand. Amazing.

3) Sometimes separate from the rain, thunder storms occur. Ground shaking bassy storms, and wonderful bright lighting. It has to be the coolest thing I've ever seen.

serious?!
thats soooo sweet!
i cant wait to get this game!!!

peace

Frostberg
06-10-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by E-Xbox

serious?!
thats soooo sweet!
i cant wait to get this game!!!

peace
Yeah, Morrowind is awesome...what are you waiting for??

Dre
06-11-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by khaos2005

Well, if you're wearing heavy armor/medium armor or something like that, you will fatigue quicker in the rain because the armor will absorb the water, hence making you heavier.

When I play tonight I plan on watching the sun rise over a lake.

JimmieDoogan
06-11-2002, 01:49 PM
Odd that the rain drops don't actually touch the ground, even though they actually touch the water... I should be able to see it bouncing off my character and other characrters like in MGS2. BTW so far I've seen only the rain and dust storms. Is there more than that?

E-Xbox
06-11-2002, 03:57 PM
Yeah, Morrowind is awesome...what are you waiting for??
school to end..
i got the rest of this week..
which is pure jokes..
cept 2 exams tomorrow!
oh well..

and then next week i got 5 exams in 5 days
1 on monday
2 on tuesday
1 on thursday
1 on friday
then im going straight to buy it!

peace

Xbox Owner
06-11-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by E-Xbox

school to end..
i got the rest of this week..
which is pure jokes..
cept 2 exams tomorrow!
oh well..

and then next week i got 5 exams in 5 days
1 on monday
2 on tuesday
1 on thursday
1 on friday
then im going straight to buy it!

peace

that sucks...when do you start skool?! lol on are last couple of days we did ***** ...stupid stuff..like word searches and stuff:eek:

E-Xbox
06-11-2002, 04:35 PM
that sucks...when do you start skool?! lol on are last couple of days we did ***** ...stupid stuff..like word searches and stuff:eek:
start on like the 4th or 7th of september..

peace

Woocifer
06-11-2002, 04:47 PM
The rain effect in this game, when it hits the water, is not exact when there is contact. It's more like they took a texture animation and laid it over the water whenever there is rain. It's a cool effect, but it would be one hell of a job for any computer to calculate anything to do with major water physics.

Give it another 10-20 years....

Xbox Owner
06-11-2002, 05:16 PM
Well..on fever sumtimes they will show a view when its raining..and u can see rain splashin up..

E-Xbox
06-11-2002, 09:44 PM
Well..on fever sumtimes they will show a view when its raining..and u can see rain splashin up..
tru!
and when u go to instant replay..
u can see the drops frozen in air!

peace

Frostberg
06-11-2002, 09:48 PM
The snow in the beginning of a game sucks...oh the snow decided to gather itself in special congruent rectangle quadrants...how kind...

E-Xbox
06-11-2002, 09:50 PM
The snow in the beginning of a game sucks...oh the snow decided to gather itself in special congruent rectangle quadrants...how kind...
its ok!
hehe..
the game is still good..

peace