PDA

View Full Version : Dear Lord Its Finally Here!!!!!!!!!

monkeyman
06-10-2002, 05:04 PM
called best buy and morrowinds finally in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehehehhehehehehe just wanted you people to know i will be leaving in a couple of minutes and probably wont be on for awhile im gonna be playing this game so long

god im gonna be up for 5 days playing this seriously i have done that once but it wasnt for so long only like 2 days maybe it was for shenmue:D

faceoff508
06-10-2002, 05:08 PM
Hope you enjoy it!!! I am getting it tommorow or after tommorow, I dont know but I am getting it!!

l Maximus l
06-10-2002, 05:56 PM
Morrowind is available at Gamestop around my area...I'm debating on buying it...I want to see what a select few in here have to say about it first before I consider it

studepaber
06-10-2002, 06:03 PM
lol, I hated seeing you (monkeyman) writhe in agony while us fellow Xboxers have been engrossed in this game since Thurs/Friday. Now you have to make up for all those days missed :eek:

Tkf5000
06-10-2002, 06:25 PM
OK go buy this game now!! I have barelt slept these past three days and this is the first time i did something else other than eat, sleep a little and play morrowind. It is so cool and huge it isnt funny. And make sure you get the guide (its not really a guide but it has how to find and complete all the quests, in sections like romance ,vampire,etc, quests).If you but morrowind at Electronics boutique you get 20 percent of the guide (i like to call it a handbook actually, guide sounds like the thing that guides you through the whole game and takes away a lot of the fun). The guide is 18 dollars after u save 2 at eb and let me tell ya it is worth every cent! You will need the guide. Vanderfell is huge and there is so many places to go and so many quests to do. The quests are a lot funer than most games. The quests range from anything from killing a guy and stealing his keys and deliveringthem to pying on someone from a lighthouse to see where he is hiding things. The graphics are amazing and the best water affects are as good (if not better) than bloodwake. In this game u can take anything you see (ex: fork or flower). You can make spells, summon creatures ,conjure creatures and many other things. This game is truly the best rpg game ever played. I wish bethesda would make it two player that would be a lot of fun but this game is definitely the game that might throdown halo.
Anything you drop stays there (even dead bodies) until you dispose of them. There is much more to say but i realy want to go play morrowind now. I suggest you go get Morrowind and the prophecies guide right now!! O and dont buy this game unless you have plenty of time, trust me ull need time.

E-Xbox
06-10-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
Morrowind is available at Gamestop around my area...I'm debating on buying it...I want to see what a select few in here have to say about it first before I consider it

lol!
go buy it man!
i have always said i was gonna buy it...
but school is almost over..
i have this week..
then the next week is exams..
then im done..
then ill definately have morrowind..
and ill be playing it alot!

peace

Tkf5000
06-10-2002, 07:08 PM
Hah im already out of skool!

Rusted Gundam
06-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Yea im out of school, but I got nominated to this Cyber Tech 2k2 thing at Kennsaw State College near Atlanta Georgia. So Ive been going there and it doesnt end untill last friday of June.:confused: but I do get to learn JAVA so its worth it. Im gonna get this game also, but you gotta understand Max's position he hasnt played a RPG.

E-Xbox
06-10-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Mad Dasher
Yea im out of school, but I got nominated to this Cyber Tech 2k2 thing at Kennsaw State College near Atlanta Georgia. So Ive been going there and it doesnt end untill last friday of June.:confused: but I do get to learn JAVA so its worth it. Im gonna get this game also, but you gotta understand Max's position he hasnt played a RPG.
tru..
well there is a first for everything!

peace

Plewis
06-10-2002, 08:11 PM
i won the computer award at my school... and the academic athlete award (at least a 3.0 and play 2 sports):cool: :cool: and I dont know if Im gonna get morrowind yet... im still waiting for less overhyped reviews

ScorpionX
06-10-2002, 08:28 PM
i just got it today, I am going to play it now:cool: :)

EHWfedPres
06-10-2002, 08:57 PM
I got morrowind saturday morning and its a fantastic game. I played it all day long...seriously...and finally got to level 2!

RudedogX
06-11-2002, 08:30 AM
You got to level two in a day?!? Wow, I must be playing slow! Either way, Maximus, normally I don't care for RPGs, but man, I've gotta tell ya, I've been hooked by this d@mn game!:(

Last night, I was up till 3 without realizing it and i needed to be up by 6 for work, oops! Either way, if you liked Azurik (and I think you did), this game makes Azurik look like cannon fodder! There is no comparison. It is completely open ended like Azurik was, but you also have a lot more time to walk around, steal stuff, and level up on your own. There is no time limit and you can just keep doing side quests if you want. You know I don't give good reviews if I truly don't like the game, but this one, as I said, I'm taking it slow (since I'm working two jobs), but I'm loving every minute of it! Definetly worth the 50 easily! A rental just does not do this game justice!:eek:

Stiffy
06-11-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Tkf5000
Hah im already out of skool!

By the looks of it, maybe you should consider summer school.
:p J/K

Tkf5000
06-11-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Stiffy

By the looks of it, maybe you should consider summer school.
:p J/K
Just cuz ima a idiot doesnt mean i should go to summer skool... or maybe it does.

ShannonX
06-11-2002, 02:57 PM

I'll be letting you know how it is IF i ever get it. ebgames.com had problems processing my order due to my change of address so they had to go around and play with my address a little bit. Of course, the very competent people over there left my apartment number off my address. So instead of getting it friday, i "might" get it today. Nearly three months after i preordered it and 5 days after it started shipping. (thursday - tuesday) Argh!!

Master Gracey
06-11-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Plewis
and I dont know if Im gonna get morrowind yet... im still waiting for less overhyped reviews

That's the problem... this game is winning over even the toughest critics. It really is as good as they say! Everything that was said in the hype leading up to the game has been true. In fact, I personally think it's better than all the hype made it sound... and it's been nearly 10 years since I enjoyed an RPG.

So if you're going to wait around for negative people to give negative reviews on the game, you may have awhile to wait. I'm not saying it doesn't have flaws. Frame rates spend most of their time around 30 fps, but that's what we've all been used to all these years, so it doen't matter that much. You can't see too far into the distance either. But both of those are petty in comparison to what makes this game great. You'll be having so much fun you won't notice the negatives.

Plewis
06-11-2002, 03:14 PM
yeah i see ur point... I still have yet to see many bad reviews so I think I will pick it up... i just got some money today... i think im gonna get it tommorow

E-Xbox
06-11-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA
I'll be letting you know how it is IF i ever get it. ebgames.com had problems processing my order due to my change of address so they had to go around and play with my address a little bit. Of course, the very competent people over there left my apartment number off my address. So instead of getting it friday, i "might" get it today. Nearly three months after i preordered it and 5 days after it started shipping. (thursday - tuesday) Argh!!
thats harsh man!
too bad..

peace

Xbox Owner
06-11-2002, 03:51 PM
Cool..tell me how it is monkey man

E-Xbox
06-11-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by XBox Owner
Cool..tell me how it is monkey man
i will tell u also..
when i get it that is..
hehe

peace

XxeGoxX
06-11-2002, 06:42 PM
I know! i want to go rent it for 5 days from BB

Plewis
06-11-2002, 09:02 PM
yeah my block buster doesnt have it either!!!!:( And I asked the guy there if i rent a game and want to buy it if they will take the price of the rental off... from a thread earlier.... and he said no:( it wasnt a good trip to BB:mad:

E-Xbox
06-11-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Plewis
yeah my block buster doesnt have it either!!!!:( And I asked the guy there if i rent a game and want to buy it if they will take the price of the rental off... from a thread earlier.... and he said no:( it wasnt a good trip to BB:mad:

they used to do that at microplay..
if u rent the game ..
then within 7 days..
u decide to purchase..they take the rental off the price..

peace

ShannonX
06-11-2002, 10:35 PM
ahh, got it today. Played it for about 20 - 30 minutes. Dont expect halo graphics, but they are still good. haven't really gotten into the game yet, so i cant say how the play goes. I probably wont be able to really set down and play till next tuesday (after finals). But its looking like it will be a pretty fun game.

l Maximus l
06-11-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA
ahh, got it today. Played it for about 20 - 30 minutes. Dont expect halo graphics, but they are still good. haven't really gotten into the game yet, so i cant say how the play goes. I probably wont be able to really set down and play till next tuesday (after finals). But its looking like it will be a pretty fun game.

Hey, Shannon...let me know how you like it once you really get a chance to play it. I'm really really really debating on getting this game or not. I can't honestly say that I have ever played a *true* RPG and it concerns me that I will fall asleep playing Morrowind since I am an action junkie.

ShannonX
06-12-2002, 07:30 AM
I'll let you know. This weekend i will be attempting to move my junk to my new place.... which reminds me, i need to call time warner and set up an appointment to have them hook up my roadrunner service at my new place next week. So i probably wont be playing any at all till at least tuesday or wednesday (my finals are all on monday)... i think it will be fun though.

Hugh_Jass
06-12-2002, 08:35 AM

Hey, Shannon...let me know how you like it once you really get a chance to play it. I'm really really really debating on getting this game or not. I can't honestly say that I have ever played a *true* RPG and it concerns me that I will fall asleep playing Morrowind since I am an action junkie.

I've only put about two hours into it so far, but it is growing on me. It took a while to get into Azurik, too.

mahalan
06-12-2002, 08:49 AM
Okay. Here's a dissenting view. Flame me if you want. Hell, they've been removing the threads before when I posted this view. So much for encouraging discussion.

Morrowind is a great game - at first. That's why it gets such great reviews. The graphics are awesome and the early gameplay is challenging. Unfortunately, the ENTIRE game is built around early gameplay.

The skill system rewards you for successfully using a skill. This makes early skill advances challenging. Unfortunately, it means you gain skills geometrically faster later (the opposite of most games). This also means you gain levels easier later too.

The monsters are geared for lower level characters too. More than 80% of the monsters are geared for characters under level 10. This is in a game where the highest level possible is in the mid 70's. The "flying monkeys" which are supposed to put level appropriate monsters in the game are also geared only for sub-level 20 characters.

The weapon/armor/combat system is really messed up. There are several places where you can just pick up a daedric dai-katana with no combat. There's a robe that heals 15hp and 15 fatigue per second that's also easy to get (Robe of Roris). Skills like conjuring, enchanting, armor skills, and longblade make combat a breeze.

Finally, the roleplaying. It's non-existent in the mid and late game. Rise to the top of your house and you're rewarded with...NOTHING. Nobody cares. NPCs who aren't in your house are just as rude to you as they were before. Rise to the top of a guild and the same is true. Save the world by finishing the main quest and nothing happens. Yes, this game is open ended but only because nothing matters.

The more I think about Morrowind, the more I believe it's nothing but a giant con. The hype led us to believe we were getting something on the scale of Project Ego. The early game reinforces this view for reviewers (both official and not). Unfortunately, nobody at Bethesda ever bothered to finish the game.

Hugh_Jass
06-12-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by mahalan
The more I think about Morrowind, the more I believe it's nothing but a giant con. The hype led us to believe we were getting something on the scale of Project Ego.

How do you know Project Ego isn't a giant con, too? Peter Molyneaux is well known for grand visions that don't get fully implemented. Until PE is released it's just vaporware.

Dre
06-12-2002, 12:59 PM
Well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion Mahalan.., no one should flame you.. just disagree or agree with that opinion. I am one of the former. I absolutely love this game. Roleplaying has never been better.

Yes you level up by using your skills.. but using a spell that costs 1 magicka vs a spell that costs 100+ magicka will on average both give you around the same amount of points in the specific school of magic. So I don't see why you should level up faster as the game progresses.

This game is all about giving the power to the gamer! If you want to stay outside of town casting a spell you made for 1 magicka over and over just to level.. then do so. All the power to you. If you want to really roleplay and only use skills when you have to, then props to you as well. Its all up to you and that is one of those things that makes this game unique.

Now, I'll admit that this game does have its flaws. Very long initial (or after you die) load times and the game just freezing being the predominant ones. The game freezing on me has happened 3 times and thats out of 60+ hours so its just something thats annoying when it happens.. which is rarely if ever. When you consider all the information the game must take into account, the load times are excusable as well. The frame-rate drops at times, but nothing serious and always short-lived.

So.. now that the flaws are out of the way.. let me just say that this game is incredible. Every passing day this game gets better and bigger and better! The longevity of this game is crazy! I could play this game for 100+ hours and still be exploring new places, making new spells, doing different quests and learning more on the stories going on in Morrowind... its just nuts! I'm playing a mage right now and I need to get a Wizard's staff to advance.

If you want to know what its like, instead of repeating how cool it is over and over.. I'll just give you guys an account of what I did yesterday while playing. Get back from work. Load Morrowind up, its 6:30 pm.

1. Decided I needed a house in this fine town. Examined locations. Decided on an armorer thats actually across the street from mage's guild. Small problem, the armorer has a guard with him. So many ways to deal with this situation... I decide to use my persuasive skills and diss the armorer till he can't take no more and unsheaths his long-sword. After he attacks me once, with a guard as my witness, I exerce my right of self-defence and paralyze the man while I pummel him with my enchanted staff.

2. Well, I now have a house with a guard in it and all this loot! But, I can't take the loot because a guard is standing right in front of me and it would be stealing! I decided on the less elegant approach this time. Summoning a scamp, bonelord and frost atronach from Oblivion I run up to the guard and smack him upside the head with my staff. The guard, lets me know that this action is punishable by law and I can go to jail. I decide however to resist arrest and the guard attacks me. My minions looking dumbly on all this time jump to protect me from an attacker.. and well.. lets just say that it was fun watching :)

3. Guardless house, even more loot (guards armor is ++$$). So.. I go to the trader across the street and sell all my stuff... but the man only has 700$ for my stuff thats worth 8000$! No problem.. I'll just get him to throw in one expensive 7500$ magic sword and I've technically just done money laundering. I return to my house, deposit all my money and the sword and another guard shows up at my place. Use a quickspell to make him have a perfect disposition towards me and I now have a guarded house where the guard gives me a friendly greeting every time I walk in!

4. Now that I have my house, what should I do? I decide on going to the dwarven Dwemer ruins and stock up on some nice goblets, pitchers, mugs, etc. Bring em back to my new pad and spruce the place up. While I'm in the ruins, I also complete a quest that was given to me awhile back.

5. Go back to my place, take a nap and regen my magicka. Then I decide on doing another quest that was asked of me a long time ago. I trek to the local pub and talk to the travellers inside (I've been asked to kill 5 people in this pub). I scope the place out and things aren't looking too good. A guy on the 2nd floor, 3 guys on the main floor (plus a bartender) and one guy in the basement. I decide on testing out a spell I made for the first time. The spell is named Calaldum Blizzard and does 10-20 frost dmg for 10 seconds over a 30 foot target radius. So.. I cast my blizzard spell on someone on the main floor and everyone from all floors start running at me, yelling death threats and unsheathing their weapons. I turn around and am ready to run for my life, I hear a thud, followed by another.. followed by 4 more. I turn around and I've killed everyone in the house. All 6 people... from 3 different floors.. with one spell. One problem.. I now have a death warrant on my head. Any guards are to kill me on sight.

6. I journey under the cover of the night to the Imperial legion fort closeby where the originator of the quest resides. After talking to the man, I am generously rewarded with a magical ring and the officer is kind enough to.. uh.. erase my legal problems ;)

7. I finally decide after viewing the spectacle in the pub, that I am strong enough to set out on my journey for a wizards staff. The arch-mage of the mage's guild was kind enough to hint out where I might be able to find a renegade sorceress that is shunned by the guild. This sorceress has a wizard's staff. She's in a cave called Sud.

8. After resting in my home, I prepare some potions for the long journey ahead. Once all this is done I leave my house and head for the stilt riders to make my way to the opposite end of the island to Dagon Fel.

9. Once in Dagon Fel, I explore the town quickly because this is my first visit. I know I'll be back here later, so I head out towards the mountains.. towards Sud.

10. After killing various wild-life beasts and birds and examing the flora along the way. I am finally face to face with the entrance to Sud.

11. Save and exit because its 4 am and I get up in 3 hours to come to work. Now its almost 2 and theres only a couple of hours left until I get to play again :)

E-Xbox
06-12-2002, 02:14 PM
wow dre!
sounds like uve played the game a lot!
i cant wait till my exams are over!
then i can play a lot!!!!

peace

mahalan
06-12-2002, 06:33 PM
Dre,

I agree. We're all entitled to our opinions. As someone who's played the game a ton (on the PC), I can tell you that it's soon to grow very stale for you (unless you don't mind doing repetitive, non-challenging things).

As for the skill gain problem, yes you will gain skills faster later. Why? Because although you get the same skill gain for any successful use, your success rate increases with your gains. Thus, the better you get the faster you rise.

You pointed to your money laundering trick. That's a nice workaround to a bad fix to a messed up economy in the game. You can also use alchemy to buy ingredients, make potions, and sell them for an infinite supply of money too. (Vendors never run out of ingredients.) Or, you can just steal anything you want and never care about money.

You know the conjuring you did? It's one of the skills which makes the game pointlessly easy. Conjure up a few helpers, stand back and risklessly destroy anything in the game (with one exception - and that's only because it requires two items to kill it).

Power to the gamer? That's like saying MS gave me power to do anything I wanted in a PC game by giving me a C++ compiler. Yeah, I can do anything I want but that's only because the game barely responds to anything I do.

What is Morrowind? It's a game with a great beginning, a disappointing middle, and a completely undeveloped ending. Does this make it open ended? No, it just makes it unfinished.

Dre
06-12-2002, 08:48 PM
Power to the gamer? That's like saying MS gave me power to do anything I wanted in a PC game by giving me a C++ compiler. Yeah, I can do anything I want but that's only because the game barely responds to anything I do.

Nah man... thats Unix, not windows.

mahalan
06-13-2002, 08:43 AM
You've got a point there.

I really do miss the days of DOS and C (not C++). Developers had control over the entire machine in those days. Need to squeeze some more memory or cut a few clock cycles? No problem. Granted, it meant that most software was picky as all hell about hardware configurations and took substantially longer to develop but we had true power back then. Sigh.

Dre
06-13-2002, 08:53 AM
You've got a point there.

I really do miss the days of DOS and C (not C++). Developers had control over the entire machine in those days. Need to squeeze some more memory or cut a few clock cycles? No problem. Granted, it meant that most software was picky as all hell about hardware configurations and took substantially longer to develop but we had true power back then. Sigh.

Ya..thats about the time when I got into gaming... I remember having like 10 different boot disks just to get specific games to work.