PDA

View Full Version : Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

faceoff508
06-11-2002, 02:42 PM
When Rainbow Six was released back in September of 1998 for the PC it totally blew away all tactical FPS’s before it. It was totally innovative and the game was just down right fun to play. The title was based on the best selling novel by Tom Clancy that holds the same name. I personally read the book as well as many of Tom Clancy’s others and he is to this day one of my favorite authors. Over the past 3 years their have been around 10 titles holding the “Tom Clancy” slogan released over 3 or 4 systems.

The Xbox is getting Ghost Recon which I am not a fan of so far. More exciting than the traditional FPS accustomed with these games is UbiSoft’s new game title Tom Clancy’s: Splinter Cell. This IS the sleeper hit of E3 2002, going into the convention we new little if anything about the title besides the beautiful graphics seen in the 4 screenshots released. You will see lots of similarities to Metal Gear Solid in this game, why? Because Metal Gear Solid is the best tactical shooter of all time, all games of the same genre should follow in it’s footsteps.

I am not saying Splinter Cell won’t be revolutionary because in my mind it still will be, it is just following one of the great games of all time. I had a chance to sit down with Splinter Cell this year at the Electronic Entertainment Expo and to say the least I was blown away. As soon as I picked up the controller I could feel the work that went into this game, I wanted to just sit and hold the controller for a while but instead I went right into playing. The camera is a third-person, behind the back perspective seen in games like Metal Gear Solid and Tombraider.

Let me start off buy giving props where they are necessary, the graphical department. Ubisoft is using a fairly modified Unreal Engine to make Splinter Cell look as great as it does. When you go to aim your gun around a corner the camera does zoom into a first-person mode but naturally pans back out after the shooting. Your character, Sam Fisher was beautifully modeled and looked like someone straight out of an action movie. Something you must see to believe is the rain effects, sneaking through an ally in downtown Russia is fun but it is down right awesome when all the while there is beautifully crafted rain bouncing off Sam.

Features:
Diving summersault, ledge hang, pipe climb, peek around walls, drop attack, drag and hide bodies, close-quarters stealth attack, gunpoint cooperation...
Wall bounce, drop attacks and the traditional peek around corner and shoot, diving summersault...
Pick up and use any small object in the environment, shoot any light and take advantage of shadows, devise cunning solutions from your environment (aquariums, oil barrels, etc.)
Undertake 14 missions through 4 countries, with over 100 different characters
Infiltrate high-security strongholds (including CIA headquarters), neutralize anyone who opposes mission goals (from hackers to special forces soldiers), seize critical intelligence, destroy threatening data and equipment, and disappear without a trace.
You are authorized to operate with carte blanche: succeed by any means necessary. You exist above the law, and your deeds blur the lines of morality.
Driven by Ubi Montreal's highly modified version of the Next Gen Unreal Engine
Custom technologies include Vertex Shaders, Pixel Shaders, Texture Rendering and Zshadow Mapping bring environments to life.
True to life Dynamic lighting & shadowing, Volumetric lighting, High resolution textures, More varied and fluid sound effects and dialogues afforded by the hard drive
The dynamic lighting and shadowing fits so perfect in Splinter Cell, considering it is a game mainly based on stealth. I could go on for pages about how awesome this game looked but I will just leave it at this; to believe how good this game looks you have to play it. At E3 I got a chance to try Splinter Cell out with the new 5.1 Digital earphones and I have to say that my ears were ringing for the next half hour. The guns firing, guards yelling, rain hitting the pavement, it was all beautifully mastered in the audio department. Splinter Cell will take full effect of 5.1 and the gamer needs to use it to his advantage. If you hear footsteps behind you, run, if you walk up to a door and hear voices coming from behind it don’t open it. These little tidbits are the things that make games like this so successful.

The storyline is straight out of a Tom Clancy novel, very true to real world terrorist situations on all counts. Remember how James Bond had a “license to kill”, well Sam Fisher has a “license to do whatever the hell he wants” and you will use it. He has clearance that no one else on the planet could even touch. There is an elite group of US agents called the Third Echelon and you work for them. The Third Echelon carries out various missions from stopping a terrorist to sabotaging a rival countries nuclear supply. This NSA group is not all it’s cracked up to be and Sam knows this, throughout the game you will have to complete missions while trying to figure out what is going on at the bottom of the Echelon.

The control still needs a little work, think Metal Gear Solid style controls because that is exactly what you are going to get. Your character, Sam Fisher, will travel over 4 countries, play through 14 heart-pounding missions and interact with over 100 unique characters. The potential for play time here is fantastic, I am hoping from anywhere from 45-50 hours of gameplay which could be attained if Ubisoft throws in some replay factors. When all is said and done Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell was the best game available on the show floor at this years E3. The release date is set for this Fall of 2002 so mark your calendars gamers, this is going to be the game of the year.

------TEAMXBOX

IGN: http://xbox.ign.com/articles/363/363377p1.html

It has a lot of answers so check it out!! I learned alot, it tells you the controlls, graphics etc. So go have a look!!

Xbox Owner
06-11-2002, 04:03 PM
Cool, hopefully it won't be a let down..but it sounds pretty awesome!!

UltimateAg
06-11-2002, 04:14 PM
I know what you mean faceoff. Rainbow 6 caused me almost to flunk out of school, because I would play it all day and night online. It was some the most fun I've ever had with a game. Splinter Cell looks really promising, alot like MGS. I hope it plays as good as it looks.

GRAVEDIGGER
06-13-2002, 10:21 PM
This game IMO, is gonna be great, it has way more stealth elements in the game, which MGS didnt have a lot of. And from what they are saying now, the storyline is on its way to greatness. Cant wait to get my hands on it...

Untill next time...:mad:

EHWfedPres
06-13-2002, 11:09 PM
Splinter cell looks amazing...but its really just another good single player game with little to no replay value...unless they add something that we dont know about...

So in short, im not going to pay 50 bucks to play a game 2 or 3 times. This better be good.

Deadman
06-16-2002, 12:46 AM
This game has really got me excited and I can't wait for it's release!

Snoopy7548
06-16-2002, 05:16 PM
did u see the preview for it on extended play? it was such a good preview, the game looks so awesome:D ill try to find that video

Sargent_Ryan
06-20-2002, 02:15 PM
Splinter Cell looks real good but I don't think I will get this game but instead ghost recon and raven shield. Just because of the multiplayer and for playing it on xbox live. Rogue spear is like one of my favorite games of all time but I can just imagine playing that with a xbox controller instead of the keyboard. Ghost Recon and raven shield look amazing and this game looks even better but it lacks multiplayer and that is what is going to hurt this game. Everyone now pretty much wants multiplayer because once you beat this it won't be that much fun anymore. But the first time through will probably be a lot of fun but thats all.

emmodd
06-26-2002, 04:40 PM
To be honest, it looks out of this world, along with Unreal Championship. it's the only game I want this year!

Snoopy7548
06-26-2002, 06:04 PM
yea? well that girl in your sig is the only thing i want this year. lol:D

faceoff508
06-27-2002, 08:41 AM
Heres some more Faqs that I found at IGN: http://xbox.ign.com/articles/363/363377p1.html

I cant wait for this game, but what dissapointed me was that Microsoft couldnt get it to be an excluisive, oh well!!