PDA

View Full Version : Think Xbox will become highly upgradable?

Hickboy
06-11-2002, 08:31 PM
I don't currently have my xbox yet so i'm just curious, has MS left any ports or room on places for upgrades? Think there will be CPU or GPU addons of any sort? Or will it just be the same as it is till the next version comes out? This would be both good and bad on some level. Like the N64 where you needed to buy the Expansion addon in order to play some of the newer games, but extends longetivity of the console.

Just wonder :)

Thanks
Hick :cool:

Belt Fed
06-11-2002, 08:50 PM
i would say if you have a good computer stick with upgading that because after awhile playing on the xbox i played my computer today and oh how sweet the graphics and ease of play and the great games. the xbox is lacking, i played 007 today and found it to be no better than it was on nintindo 64, halo graphics are ok but try to pull off a good shot without a mouse. i think the xbox is way over rated. i have just spent alot of money on some games and they just dont compare to pc games. also when you play with someone on split screen you lose more of the graphics and the special effects.

CodeMonkey
06-11-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Belt Fed
i would say if you have a good computer stick with upgading that because after awhile playing on the xbox i played my computer today and oh how sweet the graphics and ease of play and the great games. the xbox is lacking, i played 007 today and found it to be no better than it was on nintindo 64, halo graphics are ok but try to pull off a good shot without a mouse. i think the xbox is way over rated. i have just spent alot of money on some games and they just dont compare to pc games. also when you play with someone on split screen you lose more of the graphics and the special effects.

Wonders what Belt is smoking at time of post

i know for sure the Xbox has 1 RAM slot spare and u can put a faster IDE cable to the harddrive. current one is ATA33 but it can use ATA100. not sure it if we be worth putting in an ATA133 in because i think the harddrive is only ATA 100. (in case u dont know ATA is the speed at which the harddrive can transmit and save data)

I think a larger harddrive could be implemented but it would need to be sold by MS, due to the partitions it uses, but I doubt very much there will ever be a need for a larger drive..

Hope this helps
:D

BCan
06-11-2002, 10:01 PM
I think the XBOX Live shows either some "hidden" programming in the XBOX OS, or shows that it can be upgraded to run online content natively. Don't be surprised to see people look at that XBOX Live starter kit to see what it does to the XBOX.............

Hermes
06-12-2002, 05:13 AM
halo graphics are ok but try to pull off a good shot without a mouse.

I absolutely without out a doubt guarantee that I can shoot more accurately with the Xbox controller than you can with a mouse, troll.

mosaicOFdelrium
06-12-2002, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Hickboy
I don't currently have my xbox yet so i'm just curious, has MS left any ports or room on places for upgrades? Think there will be CPU or GPU addons of any sort? Or will it just be the same as it is till the next version comes out? This would be both good and bad on some level. Like the N64 where you needed to buy the Expansion addon in order to play some of the newer games, but extends longetivity of the console.

Just wonder :)

Thanks
Hick :cool:

as big as the Xbox already is, would you wanna leave and open ports or room on places for upgrades? i don't think so.

MOrgE
06-12-2002, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Hermes

I absolutely without out a doubt guarantee that I can shoot more accurately with the Xbox controller than you can with a mouse, troll.

i agree with ya there...

give me an S-Controller and watch me heat up the screen....

WHAM!!:eek:

Hugh_Jass
06-12-2002, 08:32 AM
Of course the XBOX is upgradable. The controller ports are enhanced USB ports. USB gives them the capability to expand the XBOX in many of the same ways you can add peripherals to a PC. This could include pinters, scanners, keyboards, webcams, etc.

There really is no limit to the flexibility of the XBOX design.

Laxeph
06-12-2002, 08:46 AM
I heard that the Xbox is not completely filled, and there there is space in there for add-ons. I sure hope that they add-on to Xbox and not make an "Xbox 2". By the way, that name is hella stupid.

JJaX
06-12-2002, 09:13 AM
halo graphics are ok but try to pull off a good shot without a mouse. i think the xbox is way over rated.

I think the controls are just fine, and "pulling off" a good shot is actually quite simple. True the Mouse + keyboard is great, but the xbox controller works as well.

XxeGoxX
06-12-2002, 09:31 AM

IF that wasent the most kind of pull crap ive ever heard. ID like to see a pc pull off a 4 player game when your friends are at your house... DOnt say anty thing else becuase your stupid

JJaX
06-12-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by XxeGoxX

IF that wasent the most kind of pull crap ive ever heard. ID like to see a pc pull off a 4 player game when your friends are at your house... DOnt say anty thing else becuase your stupid

No offense dude, But dont call people stupid. Your post is chalk full of errors.

CaLLin PeePo StoopiD WheN U Tipe like This Makez you lQQK duM

But dont get me wrong, Im with you on this. I think Belt is rather slow too. Plus i type like a carny more than anyone here. If you're going to call someone stupid make sure you........

JJaX realizes this post is pointless

nevermind............................

FaTBoi702
06-12-2002, 10:02 AM
;)There is no way that there could be a CPU upgrade, Unless you dont want to play the first and second gen games. Those games were programmed only to be processed at a certain rate.;)

Ninja Scroll
06-12-2002, 10:02 AM
Do I think the Xbox is upgradable? Yes! Do I think MS is crazy enough to create add-ons? No!

I feel most, if not all of the industry has learned from my dawgs over at Sega's many add-ons upgrade mistakes and will take those into account.

So in my opinion, I do not feel MS will make an upgrade for the Xbox, I mean why would they when it's the most powerful hardware on the market and PoS3 ships around 2004-5 MS will have Xbox2 right around the corner. Only this time it will not be a full years head start as Gates meantioned in an interview awhile back.:cool:

Hugh_Jass
06-12-2002, 12:11 PM
I don't agree, Ninja Scroll. Take the Tekki controller, for example. That is one bad-@ss controller and it is designed specifically for one game. It's a specialty product, and a cool one at that.

Yes, there are other 3rd party controllers on the market but this is the most expensive and elaborate by far. I hope it is a great success and it encourages developers to get creative with XBOX peripherals. I think the market is there.

JJaX
06-12-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
I don't agree, Ninja Scroll. Take the Tekki controller, for example. That is one bad-@ss controller and it is designed specifically for one game. It's a specialty product, and a cool one at that.

I dont think the tekki contoller would be considered a add-on, its more of an accesory. I think were suppost to be discussing add-ons like a "braodband" modem etc....

I for one cant think of any add-on that the xbox really needs. It had a HD, Its broadband ready. I think when MS designed the xbox they were aware that add-ons will fail. Thats why we get so much thats comes standard.