PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw Golf, anyone played it yet? (Official OG Thread)

studepaber
06-12-2002, 01:04 PM
I plan on buying this game after work but want to know impressions from those who have alredy played it....I think this will be a great multiplayer game (might get sorta boring on single player after a few months). Gimme your thoughts por favor :D

Punkbob
06-12-2002, 01:40 PM
I picked it up today. I've only got to play it a little bit. But from what I played, I liked it. The graphics are really good. The courses are done beautifully. And you can beat up your caddy, so that's a bonus.

You can unlock extra characters, golf clubs, and golf balls, similar to Hot Shots Golf.

No Fear 23
06-12-2002, 05:20 PM
come on, nebody play it yet???

xboxmaster2002
06-12-2002, 08:04 PM
its a great game its real fun. there are 8 different match types and a tour mode with like 30 events and that unlocks balls, clubs, and charactors. i would give this a 9/10 its fun

Liquid Gears
06-12-2002, 09:24 PM
Hey man, what the heII!!!! I just went to the store today to buy Test Drvie and Outlaw Golf. And they weren't even in yet. The guy working there said that they were supposed to be in Monday, but there was no show of them and they have no clue when they are supposed to come in.

Dude, where do you live? I need to know why all the stores in Edmonton, Alberta don't have them in yet. This is BS!!

E-Xbox
06-12-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by xboxmaster2002
its a great game its real fun. there are 8 different match types and a tour mode with like 30 events and that unlocks balls, clubs, and charactors. i would give this a 9/10 its fun
sweet man!
im not sure if im gonna buy this game..
i probably wont..
i mite rent it tho..

peace

Stifler
06-12-2002, 09:28 PM
I was thinking of getting the game but i'll just settle for renting it first.

l Maximus l
06-12-2002, 09:35 PM
I just about gave birth when I discovered that this game is available today! It's not too late to go and check!!! :D

E-Xbox
06-12-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
I just about gave birth when I discovered that this game is available today! It's not too late to go and check!!! :D
LMAO!!
leave that to your wife!
hehe

peace

Duke
06-12-2002, 09:45 PM
Finally a golf game. Post your ideas/thoughts/reviews soon.

Really just posting to compliment Max (or Frostberg i guess) on the new sig.

E-Xbox
06-12-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
Finally a golf game. Post your ideas/thoughts/reviews soon.

Really just posting to compliment Max (or Frostberg i guess) on the new sig.
yea...
i liked hot shots golf for PSone..
that was a good golf game..

peace

fear_this
06-12-2002, 09:55 PM
Damn, i thought it was shipping not that it would be out just yet. Outlaw Golf looks pretty cool though. I'll prolly get it. :)

Frostberg
06-12-2002, 10:21 PM
Eh, Maxy I didnt think you were so interested...I thought you would wait...pick up Morrowind first though! Then you can play with your strippers and beat up your caddies!

Thx Duke...it was a joint effort...

Shiz_96
06-13-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by irule23
come on, nebody play it yet???

I'm afraid to post my initial impressions because I'm hoping I will start to enjoy this as much as Hot Shots. Not the case thus far. Honestly. I was really looking foward to this game too.

Scarlet Spider
06-13-2002, 02:39 AM
is it multiplayer?

y2kash_14
06-13-2002, 02:54 AM
Hey Maxi, thats a great sig you got there

jeah
06-13-2002, 03:22 AM
Got this game today. I love it! The composure system is awesome. I love the swing controls too. I'm tired of the "3-button press" swing.

I've been playing for a while today... (3 - 4 hours) and I have unlocked quite a bit but i'm no where near unlocking even a 1/4 of what there is to unlocking.

Definitly a challenging game but it is hella fun.

No Fear 23
06-13-2002, 08:04 AM
of course it is

Casper
06-13-2002, 08:31 AM
This game is absolutely hilarious. I had a softball game last night, then went out and got my drink on, so I didn't get to play it until this morning....only about an hour :(

But, the graphics, composure factor (the worse you shoot, the harder it is to shoot good), and the sound was hilarious. I was just messing around and trying to learn how to shoot, I was sucking, so the crowd started to laugh at me. :D Also, I was LMAO when I aimed the shot right at the crowd, and the screamed and ran (kinda like GTA3, when you auto-aim the gun at them ... LoL.) I will post a better review on it this weekend because me and my friends will be getting in a phat Skins match (now that the Nets are done :mad: ). I will probably get to do it on Sunday. :)

studepaber
06-13-2002, 08:40 AM
I played it for a good 3 hours last night but I think I have a faulty disk because it kept crashing :( Today I will trade it in for another copy but what I've played thus far is very entertaining in my opinion. If you've ever played Golden Tee golf then then you will familiar with the hitting scheme found in OG (I prefer this way over hitting a button 3 times). The graphics are very lush with trees swaying and the grass and players are very detailed. Soundwise the game offers *interesting* commentary, and some of the players' quotes can be funny, in a disturbing sort of way. Beating up your caddies is a blast, as you can either slap them around a little or totally beat the crap out of them, depending on button timing. This game is very original with lots of unlockables and with 3 other people it is destined to be a great party game. IMO this is a great game, although I'm sure others will beg to differ. :rolleyes:

Oh by the way how can you not like a game where you can play as a stripper and her stripper caddie spanks her all the time, too fun, lol.

Devil
06-13-2002, 08:42 AM
I posted a review for Outlaw golf and it is awesome. I have already begun to unlock some of the clubs and balls. The physics are great and the beatings even better. Even standard golf sim fans will like this game as long as the are the snooty types who don't like their game being messed with.

studepaber
06-13-2002, 09:00 AM
I posted impressions in the new releases forum, but I have to say this game rocks!!! At least give this one a rent, but if you are the slightest bit interested in golf I would definitely buy this. Great, original gameplay, Golden Tee sytle of hitting. Favorite line thus far has to be "Look at my crotch" as said by that Suave chracter. Spanking strippers are also fun.

DZNUTZ
06-13-2002, 10:58 AM
yes this game is a winner...check out my comment on the homepage under the outlaw golf ships article.

one funny thing i'd like to add...i was playing a hole and was trying to get on the green..theeennn.........POP....my shot hit a spectator in his head a dropped face first into the fringe!!! it was great.

Casper
06-13-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
yes this game is a winner...check out my comment on the homepage under the outlaw golf ships article.

one funny thing i'd like to add...i was playing a hole and was trying to get on the green..theeennn.........POP....my shot hit a spectator in his head a dropped face first into the fringe!!! it was great.

Ya know, I was trying to do that too, this game is gonna be in my Box for awhile. I can't wait for this weekend, play on the green, smoke some green, and win some green from my boys....dam it almost sounds like St. Patty's Day.:D

I hope that they come out with an XBox Live version of this, that would be way cool

DZNUTZ
06-13-2002, 11:07 AM
yea...that would be cool if they went online...in fact...i'm pretty sho i heard that the future installments were gonna go online ( maybe i'm thinking of hotshots for pos2) anyways what i would want would be an add on disc for more courses.. that may be the only drawback so far to this game....only 3 courses.

E-Xbox
06-13-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
yea...that would be cool if they went online...in fact...i'm pretty sho i heard that the future installments were gonna go online ( maybe i'm thinking of hotshots for pos2) anyways what i would want would be an add on disc for more courses.. that may be the only drawback so far to this game....only 3 courses.
only 3 courses?!?!
can u unlock n e courses?!
cuz thats a big turnoff

peace

Liquid Gears
06-13-2002, 02:23 PM
So would you guys say that Outlaw Golf is a buyer??

Thius game sounds great, I feel like picking this game up without even trying it out first. Would you think that's a good idea?

DZNUTZ
06-13-2002, 02:44 PM
i'd say so liquid....from what i've played..its pretty good.
but peoples opinions opinions do vary...so i'd buy it a place u could return it...ya know...just in case.

studepaber
06-13-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
So would you guys say that Outlaw Golf is a buyer??

Thius game sounds great, I feel like picking this game up without even trying it out first. Would you think that's a good idea?

Since buying this game let's just say even the infamous Morrowind has got alot less playing time. I love everything golf so I bought this game without thinking twice. Even if you don't like golf I still think the uniqueness of this game alone is worth at least a rent. As far as replayability goes, yes it only has 3 courses, big deal, if it had 4 people would still be b*tching. With plenty of unlockables, a drving range and putting green, and many modes of play these things alone will keep you occupied on single player. But with 4 people this game is a must have party game if you have the slightest interest in golf and/or like crude and disturbing humor. Do yourselves a favor and pick this up.

Xbox Owner
06-13-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by E-Xbox

sweet man!
im not sure if im gonna buy this game..
i probably wont..
i mite rent it tho..

peace

That's what I am doing..:)

Liquid Gears
06-13-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by studepaber

Since buying this game let's just say even the infamous Morrowind has got alot less playing time. I love everything golf so I bought this game without thinking twice. Even if you don't like golf I still think the uniqueness of this game alone is worth at least a rent. As far as replayability goes, yes it only has 3 courses, big deal, if it had 4 people would still be b*tching. With plenty of unlockables, a drving range and putting green, and many modes of play these things alone will keep you occupied on single player. But with 4 people this game is a must have party game if you have the slightest interest in golf and/or like crude and disturbing humor. Do yourselves a favor and pick this up.

Hmmm interesting. Thanks man, I think I'll buy it then.:)

tennyson
06-13-2002, 03:13 PM
I was definitely planning on picking up this game, it looks so cool! I've been hearing talk of being able to unlock certain apsects of the game though recently. Does this mean that all of the characters, courses, etc. are not available at the beginning of the game? What items exactly are you unlocking?

studepaber
06-13-2002, 03:28 PM
Characters, golf clubs, golf balls, maybe costumes too. You start out with 4 characters though and no courses to unlock that I know of.

DZNUTZ
06-13-2002, 03:37 PM
yea exactly what studpaber said.....btw studepaber....i'm pretty sho u can change outfis from the get go....try pressing on the d pad @ the character selection screen.

Liquid Gears
06-13-2002, 03:41 PM
Does anyone have pics of what all the courses look like?? That's what I'm wondering about the most.

faceoff508
06-13-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
Does anyone have pics of what all the courses look like?? That's what I'm wondering about the most.

Its already ouT!!!:eek: I must be living in the past. I dont have it but I am planning on getting it~

Xbox Owner
06-13-2002, 07:59 PM
The gave it a 7.1..I thought it would do better..but ..oh well..here is the review..

While golf games have a strong following, they generally don't get nearly the attention sports games such as basketball, soccer, and football do. After all, the slower pace of the sport just isn't all that appealing to video game fanatics who want instant action. In an effort to address this issue, Hypnotix's Outlaw Golf attempts to make golf more appealing by incorporating a cast of surprising, off-kilter characters, gameplay mechanics that are simple to use, and a large number of modes designed for those who like to add a little spice to their golf game. But don't be fooled by its outward appearance: Outlaw Golf is still a surprisingly realistic golf game, complete with spins, hooks, slices, and breaks and the sort of complexity you might expect from a straightforward golf sim. As a matter of fact, Outlaw Golf's control scheme may even seem a little too unforgiving. As such, it will probably take a while for you to settle in and have an enjoyable time with the game, despite its outrageous theme.

Outlaw Golf features a cast of over-the-top characters...
Though the game has only three 18-hole courses, the most impressive aspect of Outlaw Golf is the sheer number of different modes of play it has to offer. At the beginning of the game, you'll have the option to select from only two modes--exhibition and tour. However, within the exhibition mode, there are eight different types of golf games. You can choose to play through 18 holes normally (the player with the lowest score wins), or you can engage in a slight variation where the player who wins the most holes wins the game. In addition, there are two modes where you can compete for money. One is just a general skins game where you can win money for each hole, and the player with the most money at the end of the 18 holes wins. The other mode is a little more involved because it asks you to either bet money on a particular shot or to pass, and whoever wins the hole wins the amount of money wagered.

Outlaw Golf also includes two teamplay modes within the exhibition option. One uses the stroke count of the teammate who performed the best at the end of the hole, while the other simply keeps the best shot from either teammate when approaching the hole. So if you slice the ball into the rough, and your teammate lands a ball on the fairway, then you'll play from the fairway. Another of the gameplay modes forces you to choose just a single club and get through a course with that and a putter. However, the most entertaining mode of the bunch is probably the time attack option, where the game will track the amount of time it takes you to finish a hole. You still need to pay attention to what you're doing, though. Otherwise, you'll make bad shots repeatedly, defeating the entire purpose of the mode.

The tour mode gives you an opportunity to face the other Outlaw Golfers in a tournament setting, and though it's not quite as exciting as the offerings within the exhibition mode, the tour mode is the only way you can unlock additional golfers and clubs within the game. However, the tour mode also has an Outlaw Range option, where you can challenge yourself to a series of tests that will enable you to win points that you can distribute into your golfer's individual statistics. These tests focus on specific skills, such as putting, and they become increasingly difficult as you progress through the game. It's a nice break from the standard golfing action.

...but it has the depth of a more traditional golf game.
Though there's a tutorial that will take you through the mechanics of the game, the Outlaw Range is also a good place to familiarize yourself with the way Outlaw Golf controls. Unlike most of the other golf games currently available, Outlaw Golf doesn't use the traditional double-click swing method. Instead, you have to press back on the analog stick to charge up the strength of the shot and then press forward when you want to swing. This would be a perfectly acceptable method for a video game golf swing if the direction of the shot weren't determined by the direction you're pressing while pressing forward on the right analog stick. There will be numerous times when it appears that you've perfectly lined up a shot, but then it slices or hooks way off into the woods, sand trap, or water. Just the slightest tap to the left or right when hitting the ball can cause it to do just that. It's true that you'll get into the rhythm of hitting the ball straight after a while, but it can be a constant problem for those who don't have steady reflexes. The same could probably be said for the actual sport of golf, but since the theme of this game is meant to appeal to a much broader audience, it would have been much more fitting to have a system that didn't rely on such precision. The game should have at least offered a simpler alternative control scheme.

Part of what makes hitting a straight ball so difficult in Outlaw Golf is the composure factor. Basically, the game gauges your golfer's frustration level (regardless of your personal frustration level with the game), and depending on that, he or she will be able to perform either better or worse on the course. Whenever your golfer makes a poor shot, his or her composure level will drop a certain degree, depending on where the ball lands, and if your composure level is incredibly low, it's much more difficult to hit the ball properly. Conversely, if you have a high level of composure, then you have a much higher chance of hitting a ball exactly the way you want to. Occasionally, you'll be rewarded with a "beating token," which you can use to attack your caddy, vent your frustration, and thereby increase your composure. It adds an extra element to Outlaw Golf's gameplay. But poor shots take too heavy a toll on your composure, and since they can occur with just the slightest misstep, you'll almost always have to deal with a low composure rating. In certain modes, you can use a mulligan (or a do-over) if your shot is really bad, but your composure rating will still drop, or rise, regardless.

The controls tend to be problematic in the early going...
There's a surprising level of depth to Outlaw Golf's gameplay that even hard-core golf fans will appreciate, even if they're put off by the game's silly theme. In addition to adjusting the trajectory of your shot, you can also put different types of spin on the ball by moving a small red dot around the ball graphic in the lower left side of the screen. The placement of the red dot determines the type of spin on the ball, so if you hit it close to the top, you're using topspin, which will help the ball roll farther if it's out on the fairway. Putting is handled especially well--you're given three chances to look at the trajectory your ball will take depending on where you're aiming. This will show different breaks on the green and whether or not your ball will veer off to the left or right. When taking any shot in Outlaw Golf, you'll see a percentage just above your shot strength, which tells you how hard you should hit the ball. Unfortunately, oftentimes this percentage seems to be incorrect--you'll hit the ball with just about the right amount of strength, and it won't even come close to where you were aiming. This is especially problematic during putting because you can literally see the path of your ball before you hit it, only to find that the ball will actually move far to the right or left of the hole.

The graphics in Outlaw Golf are solid but not spectacular. The character models all look good and animate well, particularly during the cartoonlike caddy combat sequences. You'll be able to see individual blades of grass when the ball lies in the rough. There are some nice water effects, as well as other ambient details within the environment, such as birds and planes flying, cars driving over the highway, and a small gallery of polygonal people. But otherwise, the courses look fairly mundane, which is unfortunate since the game's theme suggests otherwise.

...but you'll eventually get into the swing of things with some practice.
Outlaw Golf features full commentary in the form of an incredibly annoying Dennis Miller-like personality who says the same exact lines over and over. This is worsened when you're first playing through the game and choose to use mulligans repeatedly, because he has only three or four phrases that reference mulligans. Thankfully, you can turn off the commentary entirely. The individual golfer voices are tolerable, but then again, they usually speak only after a hole has been finished. The music in the game is pretty horrible, though, as part of the soundtrack is made up of what seem like elevator-music versions of popular songs. There's even one track that sounds vaguely like "California Love."

Outlaw Golf is an odd game because it has a theme that seems to appeal to a certain audience, yet the gameplay isn't really for that crowd. You'll have to deal with all the nuances of golf found in other more traditional golf games, such as putting spin on the ball and adjusting your putt for breaks in the green. In addition, the game's control scheme is more complicated than it probably should be, even though most players will be able to adjust after a while. While the game offers plenty of golfing variations and good replay value through the tournament mode, the fact that there are only three 18-hole courses may be of concern to some. Still, Outlaw Golf can be a fun game that's certainly worth at least a rental, if an offbeat golf game sounds interesting to you.

:)

Laxeph
06-13-2002, 08:09 PM
Again, I'm to lazy to read it so I'll say. I didn't know that.

xboxmaster2002
06-13-2002, 08:11 PM
i never go by the gamespot crew review because they suck at reveiwing you need to look at the reader reviews then it got an 8.9 http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,478532,00.html

Laxeph
06-13-2002, 08:18 PM
Yeah Gamespot is biased.

DBXNY
06-14-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Laxeph
Yeah Gamespot is biased.

Not only that, but it sounds like they assigned this one to someone who doesn't even really like golf. Couldn't they have given it to someone with more credibility?

Also, even after reading the review, I get the feeling it deserves better than 7.1. It's definitely in the 8.0 range, as the reader reviews suggest. His coment about the "elevator" music is just plain stupid. It's a game for crying-out-loud. And his only problem with the graphics is that the courses appear somewhat mundane? They look about as realistic as any real golf course. Sounds like he was looking for a Put-put golf sim with castles, little bridges, big heads over the holes, etc. (LOL)

robnyack
06-17-2002, 10:06 PM
7.!???? That's just ri-friggin-diculous!

I am not some xbox fanboy either. If I don't like I game, I don't care what system it's on. Outlaw Golf is a very fun, eye-pleasing game. Excellent graphics (best I've ever seen on a golf game). Characters are downright hysterical, and while there are only 3 courses, they are 3 unique very well made course, each with it's own feel and characteristics.

I don't get the dis on the music of the game. I don't find anything at all wrong with the music. It's 5.1 surround, original, and sounds decent. I have to wonder if this guy complained about the music in GC's Rouge Leader. TALK ABOUT CHEESY MUSIC!!! I thought the gaming world was way beyond cheesy game-synth sounding music. Imagine hearing the original Star Wars theme in that cheesy game-synth sound. You would swear it was 1979 all over again!

But, back to Outlaw. A ton of different modes to play, a great challenge area with some good party modes (driving challenges, Putting and chipping challenges, etc.

Some of the commentary is very close to going over the edge (I'm not complaining, I liked it...hell, I think they should have taken the next step and actually go over the edge!). Alot of sexual innuendo (take a stripper and a golf club and you think of the remarks that can be made!), and some close to edge descriptions.
+++++++++++++SPOILER+++++++++++++

The rapper-wannabe white boy says while dancing after making a birdie, "I jump, I twitch, I hit the ball like I hit my *****". I was rather surprised to hear that!

7.1? A ridiculous game rating.

Because there are only 3 courses, the game takes a hit for that, but, besides that, it's a really good looking, funny, surprisingly good golf sim. I think anywhere from a 8.0 to a 8.5 would be a fair and reasonable rating for this game.

studepaber
06-18-2002, 08:20 AM
hrrmmm.... lol I just turn the music off :rolleyes:

BlindSniper
06-23-2002, 01:13 PM
I think i will pick up a copy tinight hehe

Mahlon
06-25-2002, 10:37 AM
In my opinion this game is fantastic. In a laid back way I have as much fun with it as Halo. One of the songs sounds like a soundtrack from a porno flick though. I thinks that's funny.

PURPLEKUSH
06-26-2002, 04:45 PM
I just got my OXM Month of August in about 2 days ago and it has Outlaw Golf on it ....at first i had tought i wasnt going to like this golf game every gamer was talking about ..BUT.. i was playing it last night .. with my little sister we had started playing the game like at 10:00 pm and we didnt go to sleep till like 2:30 am ..lol..I really think that game is cool no dout about it..

well later gamers

squid413
06-26-2002, 05:57 PM
This game is awesome. I just wish it had more courses though. Maybe instead of making Outlaw Golf 2, they could just keep on releasing booster discs every couple of months. With new courses and challenges and maybe some new players.