PDA

View Full Version : Are games too short or are we too good??

Highlite23
06-13-2002, 09:28 AM
OK, time for a reality break...
Some comments that are getting too frequent:
"It was good but too short"
"It was good but repetative"
"It only took me 5 hours to beat"

Alright ladies and gentlemen, how long can a developer make a game? When they make them complex ala' Morrowind, the game is boring. When they make Hunter, it's too easy and short. Isn't our beloved Halo the same...shoot aliens, blow up aliens, run over aliens, you get my point. Yet for the most part we all love it.

What gives you a charge...Playing a game and having fun or rushing to beat it and proclaim your supperiority to the developers that there isn't a game worthy of your talent and skill.

Are we gamers just so good now that we can't see a game for what it is...Morrowind is a RPG there isn't supposed to be alot of combat, and if there is your supposed to train to get good at it, thats why it's a ROLE PLAYING GAME.
Hunter is a hack and slash game, your objective, to kill zombies and free the people. So it has a few hidden treasures and you need to find, sometimes cleverly hidden, innocents. It's too short you say...well wouldn't making it longer fuel the repetative argument?

And of course Multi-player does save a games longevity, but on it's own do you really think your gonna play a game 6 months from now, no matter how great it is??

It's funny, a while ago all i read was "There are no good games" now it's shifted to this.

So wich is it, are we just too damn good at this, or are developers slakin' off.

OR...Wait a sec, do you think developers invision an individual sitting down with there game for 15 hours straight right out of the box???? NAAAAAAAAAAAAA. LOL.

JJaX
06-13-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by highlite23

And of course Multi-player does save a games longevity, but on it's own do you really think your gonna play a game 6 months from now, no matter how great it is??

I still play soul calibur and ive been playing that since 09/9/99. Thats a lot more than 6 months. And i plan on playing a lot of halo too. Cause when you got 3 xboxs and 3 copies of halo and a lan at your pad how can you resist? ;) And each xbo x is in a different room so no cheating...........

Casper
06-13-2002, 10:21 AM
Wasn't this post up before? I thought that you did this a few weeks ago, but it just might be me :confused:

In my eyes, there will never be the "perfect" game, not as long as the developer has a chance to make more $$ on the sequel. It will never give them a chance to make something better. But then again, it's all about how you perceive the perfect game to be. I have sport games that I will always be playing (tricky and nhl hitz) no matter what time of year it is. I think that for $50 the game should give you alot more replay than what the shooter games do (Max Lame and Silent Hill), but then again, what would they be able to do next?

One last thing, and this is just for highlite23, please take this into notice:
http://www.yoursighost.com/members/KraftSLU/sig3.GIF

;)

E-Xbox
06-13-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by casper
Wasn't this post up before? I thought that you did this a few weeks ago, but it just might be me :confused:

In my eyes, there will never be the "perfect" game, not as long as the developer has a chance to make more $$ on the sequel. It will never give them a chance to make something better. But then again, it's all about how you perceive the perfect game to be. I have sport games that I will always be playing (tricky and nhl hitz) no matter what time of year it is. I think that for $50 the game should give you alot more replay than what the shooter games do (Max Lame and Silent Hill), but then again, what would they be able to do next?

yea casper!
lol

peace

;)

Ninja Scroll
06-13-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

I still play soul calibur and ive been playing that since 09/9/99. Thats a lot more than 6 months. And i plan on playing a lot of halo too. Cause when you got 3 xboxs and 3 copies of halo and a lan at your pad how can you resist? ;) And each xbo x is in a different room so no cheating...........

Same here yo, I was playing my Soul Calibur since the day it was released until my DC died a couple months ago.:(
But as far a reply value,.. I feel it means everything to a game 9 times outta 10.
I mean games with the XBL will add reply because iof hte competitveness to play other people on the net other than your friends around da way.
But reply doesnt mean everything in a game.
For instince, Skies Of Arcadia on DC is my all-time favorite game and I only played through it once. Though I racked up over 60 hours pf gameplay I never went back to play this massive title again.
So it's like a double edged sword. Naw mean jerky!;)

thAshAdyOne
06-13-2002, 12:40 PM
oh i would love to say that we are too good i believe some games are just to short. PLUS THEY SHOULDN'T INCLUDE STAGE SKIP CODES

Spaztic
06-13-2002, 12:58 PM
you play games to much! max payne lasted me 2 weeks! Granted it was short but the problem is that it was so good it seemed shorter then lets say JSRF which dragged forever!

The Dragon AKA
06-13-2002, 02:58 PM
Games should be short but sweet.

That don't apply fer strategy games tho, they should be long and heavenly.

Oh and the short games should be CHEAP

Xbox Owner
06-13-2002, 03:29 PM

;)

Hell Yeah!! We used it!!

E-Xbox
06-13-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by XBox Owner
Hell Yeah!! We used it!!
yea..
thats the 2nd time its been used..
on the same guy too!
lol

peace

EHWfedPres
06-13-2002, 04:10 PM
The problem is that games have little to no replay value at all, and people say its the best game ever. Spiderman...good game, but what do you do after you beat it? Play it again? How about after that? Why pay 50 bucks to play a game 2 or 3 times?

E-Xbox
06-13-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
The problem is that games have little to no replay value at all, and people say its the best game ever. Spiderman...good game, but what do you do after you beat it? Play it again? How about after that? Why pay 50 bucks to play a game 2 or 3 times?
i have honestly no idea...
i usually only buy games with some mp..

peace

EHWfedPres
06-13-2002, 04:17 PM
I only buy games with multiplayer or some sort of replay value (like Morrowind), and good controls. What good is a game if you cant move around at all? Every video game should have fully customizable controls.

E-Xbox
06-13-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
I only buy games with multiplayer or some sort of replay value (like Morrowind), and good controls. What good is a game if you cant move around at all? Every video game should have fully customizable controls.
yea..
mp...replay value...and good controls..
they are all essential..

peace

faceoff508
06-13-2002, 04:21 PM

In my eyes, there will never be the "perfect" game,

;)

I agree. No game that will come out will ever be perfect, it might be good but its still not perfect. look at Halo it has some flaws in it, like when you throw a greneade the alien flies and his head goes through the wall!! So thier will never be a perfect game!

E-Xbox
06-13-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by faceoff508
I agree. No game that will come out will ever be perfect, it might be good but its still not perfect. look at Halo it has some flaws in it, like when you throw a greneade the alien flies and his head goes through the wall!! So thier will never be a perfect game!
thats obvious tho..
cuz nothing can ever be perfect...
cuz technology is always advancing..

peace