PDA

View Full Version : Dead or Alive 3, character balance

Virazslo
06-13-2002, 10:28 AM
Leifang is my favorite character. I love her fighting style. I think it is the coolest one of them all. So anyway, here I will lead on to my story.

I havent played DOA 3 in a while, maybe a couple months. Last night I decide to boot it up again. I practice with Lei Fang for about 45 minutes in sparring mode, doing the practice (where you go through all the moves) and practicing against a computer. Then I decide to go into survival mode, and try my luck out there. I did OK, just OK. That is to be expected right? I hadn't played in months. I played survival about 3 times with Leifang and my highets score was 100k. Then I go to my 2nd favorite character, Helena. I get 200k my first try. I had noticed this before my brief absence. Does Leifang just suck? It is that or I am not using her right. If that is the case, even the computer can not use her right.

While playing through with Helena, i get to where it really starts to get tough. These computer opponents are really good now. Now I face Ayane. The computer is INCREDIBLE with Ayane, as are most players. She seems to be one of the strongest characters (if not the strongest) in the game. Her moves are highly unpredictable. She can come flying at you through the air, but you still done know if she will hit high, low, middle, or it will be a throw. After losing twice or so, i finally beat Ayane. Then I fight one of the slow guys, the big russian one (forget his name) and beat him without too much trouble, only losing 1 bout or so. Next comes LeiFang. Wow, the computer really sucks with her. Even though she is 2 stages after Ayane, I take Leifang down MUCH easier than Ayane.

So tell me, does Leifang just suck? I would really LOVE to be able to use her well, but it is so much easier to use one of the ninjas well, like kasumi or one of the guys. Not Ayane, i don't know why I don't like to play ayane. It is probably because the computer is so insanley cheap with her. Has anyone here taken their game to very high levels with LeiFang? If so what moves do you do, and what tips can you give? It would truly be a wower if i could smash my friends with Leifang.

Casper
06-13-2002, 10:32 AM
http://home.satx.rr.com/gazeme/lastweek.jpg

hehe...anyways...I can use Leifang pretty good, you just have to get used to her unique style and her combos are different than the other chicks (helena, chrissy, and ayane are pretty much identical with the combos). She isn't one of the strogest characters, but neither is JenFu, but I can kick some major ass with him too, you just have to learn how to use the players whose strength is defense. Get it? ;)

Scarlet Spider
06-13-2002, 10:48 AM
someone else posted that pic once,but it looked alot less fussy

E-Xbox
06-13-2002, 10:51 AM
yo..
i noticed this what that guy whos on the cover of the game...
the bruce lee look a like..
when the computer uses him..its 9 times out of 10 way better then when they use n e other character..

peace

Virazslo
06-13-2002, 03:02 PM
I can play pretty well with Gen Fu, he hits much harder than Lei Fang. It seems that some characters are way too straightfoward. Others are way too 'off the hook'. Every time I play Ayane (computer played) on a hard difficulty, I swear that the person designing her liked her way too much and was thinkin 'Hey man, pink haired ninjas are SUPPOSED to kick everybodies ass no contest!'. Another one (i forget his name) is the drunken master guy. Even when played by a newb, he is SO strong! It is nearly impossible to counter his moves, they vary so much. Please, does anyone have any tips they can lend to take my game to the next level (with mainly Lei Fang, or more in general)?

JJaX
06-13-2002, 03:08 PM
Thats my biggest gribe with the DOA series. Any hobo can just mash buttons and do well. The gameplay is as deep as the puddle of pi55 i just left on the street.

Dre
06-13-2002, 03:12 PM
I bought DoA3 with my initial Xbox purchase. I love the graphics, its just pure eye-candy!

However, after a while I got disappointed with it because I realized that there's a practical limit to the moves you can do in this game. There isn't much of a reason to master a character because someone just button-mashing will more than likely still be able to kick your butt from time to time. It bugged me when I spent alot of time learning drunken-master's moves and a friend could come over and hit anything and still be pulling off moves that looked just as good and hurt just as much as mine. The depth just isn't there.

Its still a fun game and GREAT to showoff your Xbox, but for long-term I wouldn't classify this game as an in-depth fighting game.

CRAIG123
06-13-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Dre
I bought DoA3 with my initial Xbox purchase. I love the graphics, its just pure eye-candy!

However, after a while I got disappointed with it because I realized that there's a practical limit to the moves you can do in this game. There isn't much of a reason to master a character because someone just button-mashing will more than likely still be able to kick your butt from time to time. It bugged me when I spent alot of time learning drunken-master's moves and a friend could come over and hit anything and still be pulling off moves that looked just as good and hurt just as much as mine. The depth just isn't there.

Its still a fun game and GREAT to showoff your Xbox, but for long-term I wouldn't classify this game as an in-depth fighting game.

well if you play a newbie who button bashes and kciks your arse. why dont you just counter??....simple! once you countered kick the newbie's ass!

Dre
06-13-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by CRAIG123

well if you play a newbie who button bashes and kciks your arse. why dont you just counter??....simple! once you countered kick the newbie's ass!

Thats exactly my point.. the counter system is really cool but makes things too easy to button mash. Show a n00b how to counter and its done for. I play the game now on the hardest difficulty and don't die once with almost every character. I even kick the last guys ass most of the time with just one life. But if its against a person who's button-mashing things are much more different and frustrating.

Spaztic
06-13-2002, 04:34 PM
you people that get beat by button mashers blame anyone but you sorry asses. Blame the depth, blame the logical button layout...whatever! It all boils down to your lack of skills. When someone starts button mash I counter, three counters latter they are dead easy as that! I honestly would love to play some of you fools at a fighter that has more depth and moves. My god you guys wouldn't stand a chance, if you can't even grasp something as simple as countering in doa3!

Spike Minoda
06-14-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Scarlet Spider
someone else posted that pic once,but it looked alot less fussy yeah johnB used it on me when i tried to inform some xba's about xbl. It pi s s ed me off at first

NomadLLama
06-21-2002, 12:31 AM
i actually have an easier time whipping computer ayane's ass than Lei Fang. when ayane turns her back on you, its more than likely to be followed with a high attack, so just counter it. lei fang is all about countering. if you really know all of her moves, same with helena, you will know that people with "Chi-based" arts can start a combo with a move that "paralyzes" the opponent, meaning that they cannot reverse in the middle of your combo. (gen fu's white button is a great combo starter. the bad thing about Gen fu is that most of his moves are middle attacks. the good thing is that he can be soooo slow that he can confuse.)

Vuldarak Zeta
06-23-2002, 03:17 AM
as with anygame, its only as deep as the person your fighting against. if you got 2 experst theres gonna be one hellofa fight. i think doa3 has extremly deep play.

Neo1
06-27-2002, 01:03 PM
hey Dre,
I can see where your coming from with the depth of DOA3 not being to deep, but I've mastered Ein and whenever I play my friends I always end up kick their @sses.