PDA

View Full Version : Better game graphics all-around

Dre
06-13-2002, 01:49 PM
From www.slashdot.org

NVIDIA have announced a high-level Pixel and Vertex Shading language developed in conjunction with Microsoft. According to this initial look, the "Cg Compiler" compiles high level Pixel and Vertex Shader language into low-level DirectX and OpenGL code. While the press releases are going amok, CG Channel (Computer Graphics Channel) has the most comprehensive look at the technology. The article writes, "Putting on my speculative hat, the motivation is to drive hardware sales by increasing the prevalence of Pixel and Vertex Shader-enabled applications and gaming titles. This would be accomplished by creating a forward-compatible tool for developers to fully utilize the advanced features of current GPUs, and future GPUs/VPUs

http://www.cgchannel.com/story.php?story_id=1107

Ninja Scroll
06-13-2002, 01:53 PM
Annnnnnnnd,...um... what will this have to do with my Xbox Dre?:confused:

Dre
06-13-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
Annnnnnnnd,...um... what will this have to do with my Xbox Dre?:confused:

Read the article.

Interestingly, key components of NVIDIA’s Cg compiler will be open-sourced and will work on Linux, Mac OS X and Xbox platforms.

Pixel and Vertex shaders are what make things like the water in Morrowind and Hunter look so cool.

Ninja Scroll
06-13-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Dre

Read the article.

Pixel and Vertex shaders are what make things like the water in Morrowind and Hunter look so cool. [/B]
Yes, but MS is not going to allow any upgrades to the Xbox. So unless this is specs that will be considered for Xbox2 then I dont know what that article is all about.

Dre
06-13-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

Yes, but MS is not going to allow any upgrades to the Xbox. So unless this is specs that will be considered for Xbox2 then I dont know what that article is all about.

Its a programming language compatible with Xbox development languages and API's. Nothing is changed with the Xbox.

To sum it all up, it will be MUCH easier for developers to use the pixel and vertex shader hardware on the Xbox using this programming language. So, since it makes it so much easier to use, I'm assuming more developers will start using these technologies.

Chaotic
06-13-2002, 03:02 PM
Dre is correct its not a hardware change but its a change in the way developers program their language. It allows a much smoother and quicker program to be developed and tested with much better results and much better graphics to utilize the full power of GPU's.

tennyson
06-13-2002, 03:09 PM
I think this is awesome. As many of you know, most of the code for the games out right now don't use the GPU 100% efficiently. Programming finds like this will, as Dre said, enhance the look and feel of games more realistically and visually enjoyable. This technique hopefully will lead to others, and produce even more fantastic looking games for the black box.

yall
06-13-2002, 03:14 PM
this is the advantage of the geforce 3 being a fully programmable gpu.

Hugh_Jass
06-13-2002, 04:44 PM
That's the beauty of owning an XBOX. Every day there is something new to love!

Nice find, Dre!

Laxeph
06-13-2002, 05:03 PM
Wow, I love my Xbox.