PDA

View Full Version : Best source for info on new games

mahalan
06-14-2002, 01:57 PM
What do you guys consider to be the best source for info on new games?

The sites which allow their fans to leave reviews are pretty lame. Almost all of the reviews are left within a couple of weeks of a game coming out. The reviewers barely had time to remove the shrinkwrap before they left their comments. They're often also crowded with fanboys who are only interested in hyping their favorite game.

Most of the magazines aren't much better. Reviewers are paid peanuts (often paid by per review) and generally don't spend much time playing a game before they write their review.

That being said, OXM seems to be pretty good with their reviews. Any thoughts?

Taranis
06-14-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by mahalan
Most of the magazines aren't much better. Reviewers are paid peanuts (often paid by per review) and generally don't spend much time playing a game before they write their review. I think Electronic Gaming Monthly's reviewers have to finish the entire game before they publish their review. I'd generally trust anyone that had finished an entire game.

DZNUTZ
06-14-2002, 03:15 PM
trust me
dz knows best;)

GRAVEDIGGER
06-14-2002, 04:51 PM
?? Hey DZ...the rest of your post didnt show up man:confused:

Anyways, XBA Allows its memebers to review games and have them posted on the site, and i in no way believe that thats lame. Its their priority and right if they wish to voice their 2 cents.

You dont have to listen to what they say, its obviously just their opinion mixed with some facts from the game. Personally IGN and XBA are my favorite review sites. And as for magazines, its OXM and Gamepro.

Untill next time...:mad:

Master Gracey
06-14-2002, 09:20 PM
Personally, I love the XBA member reviews... here's why:

We're a community here. We get to know each other on these boards and can get a good assessment of what each others' tastes are in games.

Example 1. The XBA reviewer:

When Maximus gets Morrowind, I know he has no previous experience with RPGs. He's going in with no prior knowledge of what to expect from an RPG, so his review will be rather unbiased. He'll be likely to judge Morrowind for Morrowind, not Morrowind to some other game. I also know that he has a good job, is a nice guy to talk to, loves beer (that goes without saying), is married, and him and his wife are expecting.

Example 2. The website/magazine reviewer:

Wilbur Phart grew up in the backwoods of Montana. When he was young, he was watching a movie with elves in it when his mother caught him in the living room alone with a sheep. This was the most shameful day of young Wilbur's life. He grows up, gets a degree in journalism from one of those at-home schools that advertise on television. Somehow, he lands a job with EGM. They fly him to the big city, strategically shave him, then hook him up with all the consoles and a tv to play them on. His first assignment: Morrowind. The game is loaded with elves!!! This brings Mr. Phart right back to the night in the living room, and he feels shame and embarrassment. But his correspondence courses taught him how to make his writing sound unbiased. He slams Morrowind in his magazine review, and noone ever knows about that night in the backcountry of Bumlord, Montana.

Who would YOU trust?

Nat
06-14-2002, 10:11 PM
I get reviews from Gamespot. Although I don't like where the site is going, their reviews are always top-notch; they'v never steered me wrong. Lately though, they seem to give the same scores between ported titles; doesn't really tell you the difference between the two or which is better.