PDA

View Full Version : Bush Pushes Broadband Technology

Hugh_Jass
06-14-2002, 09:12 PM
President Bush embraced high-speed Internet access Thursday, both for its restorative powers for the economy and as a weapon in the government's fight against terrorism. "This country must be aggressive about the expansion of broadband; we have to," Bush told more than 100 CEOs attending a high-tech forum at the White House. Without taking sides in the congressional debate about the right legislative approach to promote broadband technologies, the president said his administration is working to spread the use of high-speed Internet services by nurturing innovation, providing incentives to businesses, and adopting the technology to deliver government services.

Broadband technology "is an important part of life, and it's time for us to move with an agenda," said Bush, who has witnessed the use of secure teleconferencing during his visits to Crawford, Texas. "Hopefully, we're doing a pretty good job of working to eliminate hurdles and barriers to get broadband implemented," he said.

But some say hurdles remain. "The services to bring that bandwidth, especially at low prices, just haven't come to fruition," says Matt Kesner, chief technology officer at law firm Fenwich & West LLP in Palo Alto, Calif. "We're in the heart of Silicon Valley, but one-quarter of my people live in areas where they can't get DSL." - John Rendleman

l Maximus l
06-15-2002, 01:44 AM
I think that Broadband is important, too...We need to wire up the entire nation!!! :D

hook-worm J
06-15-2002, 02:00 AM
yeah, I'm all for it, maybe my neck of the woods will get wired up soon :o

Nato King
06-15-2002, 08:29 AM
I really hope that Bermuda get wired real soon too becase the wait is killing me.:)