PDA

View Full Version : Do you think xbox connect will still be in existence when XBL comes out?

MethodZ
06-17-2002, 09:32 AM
Do you think that all the sites that have xbox online will e in existence and work when XBL comes out? I bet M$ will pay them off to shut down thats what I think tell me what you think

Casper
06-17-2002, 09:39 AM
I have a feeling that for the first few months (while beta testing is going on) M$ will be in the process to make them shut down their servers. There's no doubt in my mind that it will not continue to run while XBL is active. Why would M$ let them do that when they are running pay-to-play servers? If some other bootleg service comes out, like XBX, would it be like a Napster type? When I say that, I mean, wouldn't that be stealing a pay-to-play service and giving it away for free....I don't think M$ is that easy-going :rolleyes:

OppiumNitrates
06-17-2002, 09:39 AM
well open or shut down ill tell u 1 thing MS wont have to pay them to shut them down . . . . If MS starts a service that requires a membership and $$ (XBL) and there r other software programs that do it for free without MS permission what whould a huge company like MS do? ? ? ? take 'em to court if they dont do what MS wants . . . .

but i bet MS loves them now they really give the Xbox exposer. . . ever since i got XbConnect and my friends have been playing it . . . . 3 of them bought an Xbox . . . 1 of them is gunna get the box soon . . . and my other friend who got PS2 for X-mas is askin me how much he could get for it so he could get an xbox . . . .

MethodZ
06-17-2002, 09:44 AM
Maybe Xbox connect or gamespy has copyrights so that why they would have to pay

Hugh_Jass
06-17-2002, 03:42 PM
I don't think MS is worried about XBConnect or GameSpy. I doubt they will try to shut them down.

ShannonX
06-17-2002, 05:18 PM
Hmm, very unlikely that gamespy, xbconnect or any other service will be shut down when xbox live comes out. Why? First of all, only games that are system link compatible will be able to be played via those services (Unless some foolish person wants to set up servers like microsoft did and "try" to do online). Second, not all xbox live games have to be system link compatible. Sure, alot of them probably will be, but i'm guessing quite a few titles will not be system link compatible and the only way to play multiplayer would either be to play via one TV or play online via Xbox live. Both services will have their fans, both will have their strenghts and their weaknesses. But i dont see gamespy or xbconnect going away anytime in the near future.

an0nym0u5
06-17-2002, 07:07 PM
People won't play on XBconnect or Gamespy because the host of these games have too much of an advantage(more times than never), and there is much lag for the client. Players using XBL should have the same advantages and disadvantages(if any). Don't get me wrong, but I think there will be dedicated XBL servers, also, I don't think XBconnect nor Gamespy will have the knowledge to optimize packets well enough as Microsoft will.