PDA

View Full Version : Blinx info with the use of HD

CodeMonkey
06-17-2002, 11:36 AM
Dont know if any of you have read or know about this info on blink already, but it sounds like its going to be great... this is the first bit of info i have found that tells u how it uses the harddrive and why......so at the minute looks like it could only be done on the xbox, even it is was not by MS....

There were a number of people who thought that a hard drive was overkill in a game console. Enter Blinx: here's a game that uses the hard disk in such a unique way, they were able to patent it. And that's the X-Factor of it—the time controls in Blinx are only possible on Xbox.

Here's how it works: as you play, you collect "time crystals." Collect three of the same type and you gain a time power. Record actions, play them back and have dual characters cooperate to complete challenges. Throw the world into slow motion while moving about in real-time, fast-forward to achieve goals more quickly, or even rewind the world to gain more chances to complete challenges, open hidden areas, and more. Then you use these time controls strategically throughout the game to get an edge on your opponents, or get into areas you wouldn't be able to otherwise.

There are also non-strategic places to use time controls—because the visual effects are that cool. For instance, freeze time and then run around in the water… you leave a trench behind you like walking through a snow drift. Visually impressive, but visually clever as well.

In case you wonder about such things, here's why (in very broad terms): The game accesses about 200MB of the hard drive to constantly cache the game information. As you invoke the time controls, the game looks to the cached information. Then it can replay, rewind, and manipulate gameplay any way you need to show a time control. So we got a whole new gameplay direction in Blinx, I think it's really going to expand how games are developed. (Good thing they patented it.)

Sorry if its its old news to some of u peeps
xbox.com
:)

dave_m123
06-17-2002, 01:05 PM
Cant wait for this game as its the first game to have full time manipulation abilities :D.

Kilik
06-17-2002, 01:15 PM
Now thats why I have the Xbox, It's the baddest system on the
planet.Let's see the Pos2 do dat!

Monga
06-17-2002, 06:03 PM
Very cool indeed! Im looking forward to this platformer, and i usually don't like Platformers other than mario 64. But this is cool way to go through the levels. I don't think people will advertise the game as :::BLINX USES HARDDRIVE::: though cuz its not that important to a lot of gamers, especialy younger ones. It'll just be a cool feature that can help leave way for more innovation to other games. Imagine a time stopper action game. Thatd be interesting ! Just my thoughts ...end of rant.

EggsBox
06-17-2002, 10:58 PM
This is truly a new and highly innovative use of the Xbox harddrive. Blinx is on my must buy list.

Adema
06-17-2002, 11:28 PM
Xbox always has to show everyone else how its done. Thats because Xbox is the pimp of the videogame world.

Knight
06-18-2002, 01:17 AM
Cool :cool: