PDA

View Full Version : I need speakers!!!!

tennyson
06-17-2002, 03:18 PM
I was debating on getting a set of surround sound speakers for my living room since I've heard all of the praises for the DD5.1 on the XBox. I'm not very versed in shopping for this type of thing so I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good speaker/entertainment set.

I want to keep the price reasonable, of course, but if I'm going to buy a new set of speakers, I also don't want to get crappy ones. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Dre
06-17-2002, 03:30 PM
I just got these... EXCELLENT. Grenades in Halo make my room shake.. its so cool! Plus you hear the stuff all around you so it makes the experience even better...

http://store.yahoo.com/dynadirect/ss-s48000v20.html

[edit] I did my research before buying these and they have had nothing but utter praise for these in reviews and the frequency range on them is excellent. You really can't go wrong with these ones.

tennyson
06-17-2002, 03:35 PM
The price is right as well....

:)

Thanks Dre!

OppiumNitrates
06-17-2002, 04:09 PM
i would try to talk to Lynxfx or send him a PM . . . he is very knowageable about sound, gear, and entertainment set ups . . . and he prob wouldnt mind giving u a few pointers

jschelm
06-17-2002, 06:00 PM
I just bought a set of JBL Studio 38 front speakers and if you have a decent receiver these things ROCK! I have a couple of friends that have cheaper 5.1 setups with subwoofers and everything and they can't believe that my little bookshelf speakers are that much louder and better at base reproduction than their entire setup. As far as a subwoofer I have an acoustic research 12" powered sub on order, so that should definately take care of the low rumble below where my bookshelf speakers will go. I highly recommend both of these speakers. For the money they are awesome.

pounder
06-17-2002, 08:09 PM
i just made my home theatre for around 2000 canadian..its all CV LS speakers, and a massive cvt sub..jvc receiver..in dts, and DD 5.1..best sounding system ive heard that was on a budget..hell better then some of the higher end systems..halo on my theatre is a dream..

MOrgE
06-18-2002, 08:34 AM
depending how much money you have to spent, i would recommand Polk Audio speakers... my uncle has them and they are unbelievable...

make sure ya get a decent reciever as well... no point in getting kicka$$ speakers if ya can't even power them...

Laxeph
06-18-2002, 08:53 AM
If I were you I would not get Dolby Digital. I would some cheaper, but decent, non surround sound speakers. With the money you save you can get an @$$ load of Xbox games.

OppiumNitrates
06-18-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Laxeph
If I were you I would not get Dolby Digital. I would some cheaper, but decent, non surround sound speakers. With the money you save you can get an @$$ load of Xbox games.

thats just not steller advice, i'm sorry. y not get surround and take advantage of the fact that the box can play games in surround, and alot of games support it.

BTW have u even played halo in surround sound ? . . . . when i play with the volume jacked up i can hear people sneaking up behind me and it has saved my life plenty of times

jschelm
06-18-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates

thats just not steller advice, i'm sorry. y not get surround and take advantage of the fact that the box can play games in surround, and alot of games support it.

BTW have u even played halo in surround sound ? . . . . when i play with the volume jacked up i can hear people sneaking up behind me and it has saved my life plenty of times

I agree whole heartedly OppiumNitrates. Halo, and don't forget MW, in surround is amazing. Most of my XBox owning friends have gone right out to buy a Dolby Digital setup once they heard mine.

It is definately money well spent. Plus it isn't only good on the XBox it is great on movies and things too.

Dre
06-18-2002, 09:33 AM
Ya, now that I've played in 5.1, anything else just isn't the same. It truly makes a remarkable experience and I can't believe how bland my sound is when I put it back on my normal 2 speaker stereo. You definitely want dolby digital. And the price isn't that much if you go for an all-in-one kind of system like the one I suggested earlier.

Spaztic
06-18-2002, 09:51 AM
whatever you do don't get bose!

Dre
06-18-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy
whatever you do don't get bose!

May I ask why not? A friend of mine has a system where the speakers are all Bose and it sounds amazing.

jschelm
06-18-2002, 11:48 AM
You didn't really ask me, but I will give my opinion :)

Bose is pretty decent stuff (that is my current center and surround speakers) but they are VERY proud of their products. If you have a very confined space to deal with or just don't want to have big speakers that "look bad" in a room then Bose may work for you, however, for the money, there are a ton better speakers from everything from frequency response to efficiency.

Hugh_Jass
06-18-2002, 11:54 AM
Bose are fine. You just don't get as much speaker as you should for that kind of money.

Anyone that uses XBOX as a DVD player should have DD5.1/DTS speakers.

pounder
06-18-2002, 12:03 PM
you know what they say.. no highs, no lows, get bose..lol i actually dont mind the sound of bose..but for me..i need something with some guts that really throws..its all in preference when it comes to audio..and thats about it