PDA

View Full Version : A 9.4 for Morrowind from IGN!!

faceoff508
06-17-2002, 09:03 PM
Its locked right now, but IGN gave it a 9.4!! I played this game and it deserves that rating!

faceoff508
06-17-2002, 09:41 PM
Nobody wants to respond!!

EHWfedPres
06-17-2002, 09:53 PM
Why did they not rate the sound as good as it can possibly be? Maybe if their tv had speakers, that would help, but perhaps they didnt play long enough to encounter a ferocious thunderstorm...

GRAVEDIGGER
06-17-2002, 10:58 PM
Dam, everyone that i heard talk about this ame, has been raving about its greatness. Now i really wanna go pick it up tomr...i was a bit hesitant(cause i'm not an RPG fan), but seeing as how IGN and even Gamespot(official PS2 slaves) gave the game mad props, this game has to be good, besides the game looks tyte. I'm officially getting Morrowind Tomr!!

Untill next time...:mad:

JimmieDoogan
06-18-2002, 01:39 AM
I think they rated it acurately with one exception. I don't agree with the graphics score. I think the graphics could have been so much better. Hell if they used their water with the halo engine (which looks and runs better on Xbox) they would have been set. I just can't stand the draw distance, every thing else is great. Mind you this doesn't detract much from the experiance, but imagine standing at the top of a huge peak and peering off into the distance. You see fields and mountains as far as the eye can see. You will when Project EGO comes out. Til then I'll deal with the draw distance.

SkoalMint
06-18-2002, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by GRAVEDIGGER
Dam, everyone that i heard talk about this ame, has been raving about its greatness. Now i really wanna go pick it up tomr...i was a bit hesitant(cause i'm not an RPG fan), but seeing as how IGN and even Gamespot(official PS2 slaves) gave the game mad props, this game has to be good, besides the game looks tyte. I'm officially getting Morrowind Tomr!!

Untill next time...:mad:

Great move. Let us know how a non-RPG fan feels about the game.

wweomaniac
06-18-2002, 08:42 AM
Well, appearantly, IGN now prohibited the morrowind review to only IGNinsiders.

DIGITAL
06-18-2002, 08:44 AM
im allso gonna pick this game up even though i never played a rpg but i might as well start before project ego comes out!!!

mother
06-18-2002, 08:51 AM
its not perfect but the gtaphics are awsome, theres just alittle prob with frame rate, but after the first 4 hours you waste playing, you wont even notice, if this is anything like what games are gonna be like in the future (duh) watch the **** out pos2!

Laxeph
06-18-2002, 08:57 AM
I think that there are very few flaws in Morrowind. I only wish that they have choosen a different name. I can't stand it when people spell in Marrowind. I reminds me of bone marrow. All in all, this game kicks major arse.

Dre
06-18-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Laxeph
I think that there are very few flaws in Morrowind. I only wish that they have choosen a different name. I can't stand it when people spell in Marrowind. I reminds me of bone marrow. All in all, this game kicks major arse.

Or Marrowing, morrowing, marrowind.. its not hard.. its Morrowind :)

JJaX
06-18-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
I think they rated it acurately with one exception. I don't agree with the graphics score. I think the graphics could have been so much better. Hell if they used their water with the halo engine (which looks and runs better on Xbox) they would have been set. I just can't stand the draw distance, every thing else is great. Mind you this doesn't detract much from the experiance, but imagine standing at the top of a huge peak and peering off into the distance. You see fields and mountains as far as the eye can see. You will when Project EGO comes out. Til then I'll deal with the draw distance.

Yes i agree, But that was do to restricitions of the xboxs power, Just like turok on N64. But i think for the amount of things going on and how grand this game really is, the graphics are amazing. And the sound is top notch. When i play late at night i use nice head phones with my reciever and let me say this, You really feel like you there. Plus im high all the time but thats another thread ;)

Id give the game a 10/10 just because its always on my mind. If a game can keep my attention when im not even around to play it, its gotta be good :D

mother
06-18-2002, 10:15 AM
lol last night i went to a club with my boys, lmao i met this chick with a badass tatoo on her back and we started talking, brought her back and she was like damn you got morrowind lol we played til about 4 hours ago. lol then i got a much needed "break" omg everyone loves morrowind.

true story

wu

mahalan
06-18-2002, 11:24 AM
Personally, I'd give it a 4. The graphics and world size are great. Everything else needed lots of work. It's too bad all the initial comments are coming from people without a lot of time in the game.

SkoalMint
06-18-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by mother
lol last night i went to a club with my boys, lmao i met this chick with a badass tatoo on her back and we started talking, brought her back and she was like damn you got morrowind lol we played til about 4 hours ago. lol then i got a much needed "break" omg everyone loves morrowind.

true story

wu

You brought a chick home and you......

played Morrowind????????

Dre
06-18-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by mahalan
Personally, I'd give it a 4. The graphics and world size are great. Everything else needed lots of work. It's too bad all the initial comments are coming from people without a lot of time in the game.

In another post you said you played for 20 hours. I think I've put in over 70 by now. I think thats enough time to judge a game thank you very much. Its normal that some people wouldn't like this game, you can't please everyone, but to say that everything but graphics and world size needs alot of work is a very shallow opinion.

Mahalan, perhaps an RPG just isn't your type of game? Some people just aren't good at this sort of game and blame the game instead of just realizing it isn't really there genre. Because this one does everything right. You can complain all you want about economics or balancing issues, but if you play the game right and roleplay its one of the best damn games you'll ever play. Those so-called "issues" are there to make the whole world that more believable. Economics for example, while it can be thought of as a pain in the ass, you have to realize that a peasant smith isn't going to have 100 000 gold lying around to buy all your crap. So, you barter. If I give you something worth 10k and you only have 5k, I'll take something of yours worth 5k to even it out. This is the way it should be and I'm glad that an RPG finally got this right.

Bethesda made a great RPG. If you are looking for another Diablo or Final Fantasy game then sorry, this ain't for you. No one is going to lead you by the hand as you figure out what to do and what not to do. Its not hard to figure out what to do, but its not handed on a silver platter like in most games either.

Now, I think when I get home I'll take a walk on the beach, nap on the sand and wake up early enough to watch the sun come up over the ocean. Why? Because I can.

mahalan
06-18-2002, 12:11 PM
Dre, chill out guy. You got some facts messed up here. In a different post, I said I'd played OUTLAW GOLF for about 20 hours (25 now).

I've played the PC version of Morrowind for much more than that (couldn't wait for the Xbox version). I don't know how many hours I've logged but it was enough to rise to the top of house Telvanni, the fighter's guild, the mages guild, and finish the main quest. I'd say my dislikes for the game have nothing to do with either a lack of play or an inability to play the game.

Now, as far as Morrowind doing things right or wrong here's what they messed up with:

1) The combat is really annoying. It should have been left out or done better. You've got three attack types to choose from but one is clearly better for each weapon. Why even offer us three if we'll never use the other two? We can't see the damage we inflict. No changes to character images from damage, not even a life bar. I realize this isn't a fighter but come on.

2) So much for roleplaying. Have you risen to the top of your guild or house? Have you completed the main quest? How many NPCs seem to know? Not many, huh. Why is it that noone knows all the great things you've done but steal one arrow and everyone knows immediately?

3) So much for game balance. Enchanting, conjuring, alchemy, stealing, longblade. Need I say more?

4) So much for late game challenge. More than 80% of the monsters are targeted for level 15 and lower characters. Even the "flying monkeys" (adjustable spawning monsters) aren't able to give a challenge to a character over level 25. This is out of a potential level in the mid 70's.

5) Too much great stuff lying around. With daedric dai-katanas and daedric armor lying around unguarded (not to mention the Robe of Roris), who's supposed to be challenged ever?

6) Limiting vendor gold is not a fix to a bad economy. Yeah, most RPGs suffer from massive inflation which makes gold useless after mid-game. Limiting the amount of gold vendors have is not a fix. It just makes the early game barter process really annoying (or you can use one of several bugs to make a lot of money in other ways).

JJaX
06-18-2002, 12:27 PM

I've played the PC version of Morrowind for much more than that (couldn't wait for the Xbox version). I don't know how many hours I've logged but it was enough to rise to the top of house Telvanni, the fighter's guild, the mages guild, and finish the main quest. I'd say my dislikes for the game have nothing to do with either a lack of play or an inability to play the game.

WHY man why!

Why would you play this game so much if you didnt enjoy it? WHy do something you dont like doing?

mahalan
06-18-2002, 12:41 PM
Two reasons. First, I'm a bit obsessive about completing things once I start them so not finishing the main quest was out of the question. Second, I was expecting something to be challenging that I just hadn't found yet. Unfortunately, I found out from Bethesda's forums that there wasn't anything put into the game for characters past their mid-20's in level.

Additionally, anyone who played Daggerfall at all would consider Morrowind to be a cakewalk. Want a a half dozen easy levels? Make Acrobatics a major/minor skill and run everywhere. Want another half dozen? Make any of the armor skills (especially heavy) a major/minor skill and let something wimpy beat on you over and over while you just stand there. Want a ton of gold? Go to an apothecary and buy ingredients, mix them into potions, sell them back for a profit and repeat over and over. In Daggerfall, you almost had to do these things to beef up your character to survive. In Morrowind, training and buffing do nothing but make the game a joke.

Dre
06-18-2002, 12:56 PM
Dre, chill out guy. You got some facts messed up here. In a different post, I said I'd played OUTLAW GOLF for about 20 hours (25 now).

Don't need to chill if I was never worked up in the first place. Take my comments in any way you like, but they weren't intended as an attack on you.

I've played the PC version of Morrowind for much more than that (couldn't wait for the Xbox version). I don't know how many hours I've logged but it was enough to rise to the top of house Telvanni, the fighter's guild, the mages guild, and finish the main quest.

That sounds like alot of playing for someone that dislikes the game as much as you say.

The combat is really annoying. It should have been left out or done better. You've got three attack types to choose from but one is clearly better for each weapon. Why even offer us three if we'll never use the other two?

Left out? Right... Anyways, I haven't played a fighter character yet, I'm still on my first guy, a mage, but even with just my staff when I'm forced to fight I know the advantages of hitting different spots. When you go up against a guy with a shield are you going to try hitting his shield over and over or mix things up a bit and hit him in the legs, butt him in the head, etc. There is an advantage for the 3 attack types, you just have to know how to use them. And for your info, I read that in a book somewhere in the game.

We can't see the damage we inflict. No changes to character images from damage, not even a life bar. I realize this isn't a fighter but come on.

This I agree, I would have liked to know how much health my enemies have.

So much for roleplaying. Have you risen to the top of your guild or house? Have you completed the main quest? How many NPCs seem to know? Not many, huh. Why is it that noone knows all the great things you've done but steal one arrow and everyone knows immediately?

No, I've played for 70 hours or so and only risen to the top of the mages guild. I just got my stronghold in house telvanni but its going to get even bigger when I reach a master-wizard level I'm told. NPC's actually walk towards me now to come and talk to me. You just need a good personality as well. I haven't even started doing the main quests yet.

So much for game balance. Enchanting, conjuring, alchemy, stealing, longblade. Need I say more?

Oh, do you mean the skills are too powerful? I dunno about that, to use the super powerful spells the schools they come from need to be high level or they won't even cast. To be very high-level you either:
A) Cheaped it with 1 pt spell, cast it over and over
B) Payed for all your training
C) Played a HELLUVA lot

Points A and B only require a bit of self-restraint and are cheap ways to level IMO. Bethesda being the great dev's they are decide to give the control to the gamer anyways and still leave you the cheap route if you so choose it. Point C, well.. I don't know why you're complaining if you could play a game for that long.

So much for late game challenge. More than 80% of the monsters are targeted for level 15 and lower characters. Even the "flying monkeys" (adjustable spawning monsters) aren't able to give a challenge to a character over level 25. This is out of a potential level in the mid 70's.

I'm level 28 and encounter all sorts of fights where I need to use strategy in which spells to use, etc. Just last night I had to take on a golden saint, a daedroth, a hunger and a storm atronach on at the same time for a quest. It wasn't easy and required a couple of trips back to town so I could regroup.

Too much great stuff lying around. With daedric dai-katanas and daedric armor lying around unguarded (not to mention the Robe of Roris), who's supposed to be challenged ever?

If you do own the PC version, why not use the editor to add more difficulty if you find it so easy? I also believe there are quite a few mods available for dl that address this. One downfall to the Xbox version right there.. no editor :( But if you do find there is to much great stuff lying around, why not just play a character that doesn't steal? You just got rid of that problem

Limiting vendor gold is not a fix to a bad economy. Yeah, most RPGs suffer from massive inflation which makes gold useless after mid-game. Limiting the amount of gold vendors have is not a fix. It just makes the early game barter process really annoying (or you can use one of several bugs to make a lot of money in other ways).

I agree with it not being a fix to a bad economy. It is in fact a more "realistic" economy. If you don't like that there isn't much to do except use the editor since you have the PC version. Myself, as I've already iterated, am quite happy with the economy of Morrowind. It makes the world that much more convincing. If every vendor had unlimited gold being a thief character would be boring. You'd be rich inside of an hour. Thats not the way it would happen in a real-world type setting, so IMHO merchants with limited gold is nothing but good, annoying at times, but overall great idea.

JJaX
06-18-2002, 01:09 PM
Great post dre!

mahalan
06-18-2002, 01:10 PM
Dre,

First of all there hasn't been a patch to the PC version that solved the game's problems. Some of them only make them worse (like beefing up monster hitpoints - takes longer to kill them so your skills go up faster). One of the biggest problems is from the skill system. It rewards you for successful use of your skills. The higher your skill, the faster your gain rate. This makes early game leveling tougher and late game leveling easier.

As far as monsters being a challenge goes, you're right. They're difficult if you only use one or two tools at your disposal. If you think things out, they're cake. Ever try conjuring up some aid for your fights? Ever try using calm monster/calm human? These two things alone make almost any fight a breeze.

As for leveling, there are MANY ways to level quickly and easily besides training. Try making one of the armor skills a major/minor class. Just suit up and stand in front of something weak and let it bash on you over and over. Try making acrobatics a major or minor and run everywhere. Either of these is worth a half dozen levels apiece.

As far as monsters go, if you had the PC version you'd be able to use the editor to look at their mix. 80% of them are geared for low level characters. The remaining 20% are for low mid-levels. There's NOTHING in the game geared for characters in their 30's or later. There's not even a monster type for a character at that level.

The amount of great stuff lying around has nothing to do with stealing. You can also provoke a blacksmith into attacking so you can kill him and take his full suit of glass. You can just wander off the beaten path and find tons of daedric. For that matter, the Robe of St. Roris is part of a guild quest (what a joke).

For anyone who's played Daggerfall, Morrowind is just a dumbed-down version of the same with prettier graphics.

Dre
06-18-2002, 01:14 PM
Mahalan, I just discovered from your last post that your a power gamer. Nothing wrong with that... its just what you are. My buddy is the same and he keeps on telling me all these cheap ways to level myself up and all I had to say to him was...

WHY?

mahalan
06-18-2002, 01:19 PM
Power gamer???!!!

Because I accepted the role of being dropped down in a hostile land where I was told that I would be given a challenge to save the world. What did I do? I beefed up my skills. I used my wits. I used the tools at my disposal. I found the game to be a joke.

Now, if I had "roleplayed" and not done anything a rational human would do in that position things might have been different. If I'd been in that position and chosen to become a librarian, the game might have been a challenge. If I'd chosen not to use the more effective tools and skills at my disposal, I may have never saved the world.

To call one "power gaming" and the other "role playing" is a ludicrous misuse of the two terms.

JJaX
06-18-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Mahalan, I just discovered from your last post that your a power gamer. Nothing wrong with that... its just what you are. My buddy is the same and he keeps on telling me all these cheap ways to level myself up and all I had to say to him was...

WHY?

Cause he rather beat the game to say he's done it, then play the game and enjoy it.

mahalan
06-18-2002, 01:23 PM
Enjoy it???

For what? The pretty pictures and tomes of text? Get real. The graphics are nice but I bought a game not a screensaver. The fiction and storyline in the game are okay but pale next to a decent book.

This is a GAME. I played it like I do any other, as well as I can. I don't play Halo with only one hand on the controller. I don't press every button but "Y" when I play DOA. Why should I have to handicap myself to enjoy Morrowind?

Dre
06-18-2002, 01:34 PM
Power gamer???!!!

Because I accepted the role of being dropped down in a hostile land where I was told that I would be given a challenge to save the world. What did I do? I beefed up my skills. I used my wits. I used the tools at my disposal. I found the game to be a joke.

Now, if I had "roleplayed" and not done anything a rational human would do in that position things might have been different. If I'd been in that position and chosen to become a librarian, the game might have been a challenge. If I'd chosen not to use the more effective tools and skills at my disposal, I may have never saved the world.

To call one "power gaming" and the other "role playing" is a ludicrous misuse of the two terms.

Yes. You are a power gamer. There ain't anything wrong with it, whats the big deal bud? You can try to rationalize it whichever way you like by saying a rational human and bla bla bla. But one way or another you're still a power gamer and thats probably why you think so poorly of the game. But you know, you do what you want.. if you have fun standing in front of a monster letting him hit you to increase a skill, heck all the power to you. Your just missing the total point of the game.

If you think roleplaying is not doing anything intuitive or something like that then you really aren't suited for a game like this and its no wonder you dislike it. But whatever...

mahalan
06-18-2002, 01:40 PM
Dre, I just take serious offense when people go into game situations (like combat) without thinking about them and justify it in the name of roleplaying while they criticize those of us who do think about them as not roleplaying.

I mean think about it. You're a mage. You're physically weak and relatively unarmored. You're going into a really nasty place with who knows what around. Would you really wait to see what jumped out at you to respond? You know that one or two major whacks from something nasty could finish you. Of course not. You'd conjure up a meat shield between you and anything nasty. That way you could fight from the back lines. It's only logical. In Morrowind, it breaks the game.

That doesn't make you a power gamer, it makes you a survivor and Morrowind a second rate RPG.

E-Xbox
06-18-2002, 01:48 PM
wow..
thats quite the score..

peace

Dre
06-18-2002, 01:52 PM
Dre, I just take serious offense when people go into game situations (like combat) without thinking about them and justify it in the name of roleplaying while they criticize those of us who do think about them as not roleplaying.

I mean think about it. You're a mage. You're physically weak and relatively unarmored. You're going into a really nasty place with who knows what around. Would you really wait to see what jumped out at you to respond? You know that one or two major whacks from something nasty could finish you. Of course not. You'd conjure up a meat shield between you and anything nasty. That way you could fight from the back lines. It's only logical. In Morrowind, it breaks the game.

That doesn't make you a power gamer, it makes you a survivor and Morrowind a second rate RPG.

Ok, I'll walk slowly in unchartered territory with my ears always open listening for any sign of a threat. My shield will be ready for casting and as soon as I see a monster I know which spells I should use against it. I will not however stand in front of that monster allowing him to hit me simply so I can increase a skill. Thats the distinction you need to make.

Anyhoo, this debate is getting a bit overworked wouldn't you agree? :) All things aside, I think Morrowind is a very fun and enjoyable game. You disagree. Unlike some, I respect your opinion even though its not the same as mine. I truly believe that most gamers that like RPG's will really love this game and I know I'll be playing it till KOTOR or Ego comes out. You, don't. Oh well, I'm done debating this topic for now.. I must get some work done! :D

SpIdeRmAn2099
06-18-2002, 02:50 PM
Hey I just got this game,its really good you should buy it

E-Xbox
06-18-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by SpIdeRmAn2099
Hey I just got this game,its really good you should buy it
hey man...
welcome to xba..
i love your siggy....

peace

Dre
06-18-2002, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the boards bud! Its the best site around!! And since you just got Morrowind, you might want to check out the RPG forum. Lots of guys in there nowadays and we're all helping each other out whenever ones got probs with the game.

JJaX
06-18-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Welcome to the boards bud! Its the best site around!! And since you just got Morrowind, you might want to check out the RPG forum. Lots of guys in there nowadays and we're all helping each other out whenever ones got probs with the game.

yeah it should be called the morrowind Forums :D

Dre
06-18-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by JJaX

yeah it should be called the morrowind Forums :D

Fo schizzle my nizzo. I'm anxious for more to arrive... its looking like Xbox is going to be THE console for RPG's. With Morrowind, KOTOR, Galaxies, PSO, PSO2, Project Ego/Fable, Lord of the Rings, Shenmue II and I'm sure I'm missing some, we are just going to get bombed with amazing RPG titles!

JJaX
06-18-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Dre

Fo schizzle my nizzo. I'm anxious for more to arrive... its looking like Xbox is going to be THE console for RPG's. With Morrowind, KOTOR, Galaxies, PSO, PSO2, Project Ego/Fable, Lord of the Rings, Shenmue II and I'm sure I'm missing some, we are just going to get bombed with amazing RPG titles!

And thats only the half of it! I cant wait for xbox live to take off! Soon we will rule the console war!!

JJaX feels like he's in the ending of an episode of thundercats

[liono voice] hahahahaah Thats Great news Chetorah! [/liono voice]

Everyone laughs

roll credits

Monga
06-18-2002, 04:16 PM
As someone said earlier, I don't think Project Ego should ever be compared to Morrowind in terms of depth or fighting style. I think they will be 2 completely different games. But im sure there will be roaming in the game. Just not the same exact game as you can only be 1 person in PE.

mahalan
06-18-2002, 04:40 PM
Hey Spidey,

Welcome to XBA too.

Personally, I can't wait for KOTOR, Ego, LotR, etc. Looks like we're getting some great titles to add to our list.

Spaztic
06-18-2002, 05:11 PM
hopefully I am getting this game this weekend! I have been looking forward to this game for awhile. I feel I am going to be dissappointed though, from what I heard after you power up some levels there isn't much of a challange. In the past I have never had a rpg that I didn't think was a breeze to get though.....

but I am still getting since to find out for myself! Plus I like rpg's easy or not!

E-Xbox
06-18-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Monga
As someone said earlier, I don't think Project Ego should ever be compared to Morrowind in terms of depth or fighting style. I think they will be 2 completely different games. But im sure there will be roaming in the game. Just not the same exact game as you can only be 1 person in PE.
what u mean only one person?!
pe is gonna kill morrowind..

peace

CharlieHustle
06-18-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by E-Xbox

what u mean only one person?!
pe is gonna kill morrowind..

peace

Lets not start this. If PE is gonna better than MW then thats great for us, right? That means we have at least 2 great rpgs, im hopin that PE lives up to its expectation like MW did.

yall
06-18-2002, 07:47 PM
Want a a half dozen easy levels? Make Acrobatics a major/minor skill and run everywhere. Want another half dozen? Make any of the armor skills (especially heavy) a major/minor skill and let something wimpy beat on you over and over while you just stand there. Want a ton of gold? Go to an apothecary and buy ingredients, mix them into potions, sell them back for a profit and repeat over and over.

Its a role-playing game. Would you ever put on a suit of armor and go into the woods and let something beat on you? The game is intended to let you play how you want. Just because there are tedious and boring ways to play the game, if you so choose, does not make it a bad game. If I went around the city I live in and spent my time collecting cans I could probably eek out enough of a living to eventualy say I was 'progressing'. But it would probably be a sucky, un-fun, experience. Much like your experience with Morrowind.

EHWfedPres
06-18-2002, 10:18 PM
How many peope do you want to play in a game? You can only play one at a time. You get to chose what he looks like and all, possibly the name as well...but Ego will be far more in-depth than Morrowind.

Also, Shenmue is more or less an action game, not an rpg. You only play as one guy, its too linear, etc. You need freedom in rpg's.

Dre
06-19-2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
How many peope do you want to play in a game? You can only play one at a time. You get to chose what he looks like and all, possibly the name as well...but Ego will be far more in-depth than Morrowind.

Also, Shenmue is more or less an action game, not an rpg. You only play as one guy, its too linear, etc. You need freedom in rpg's.

Never played the first game but lots of peeps said it was an awesome RPG on DC so I put it on the list. I'm guessing its more of a japanese-style RPG then?

E-Xbox
06-19-2002, 10:18 AM
yo..
i went to walmart for morrowind and..
the b¡tches had none!!!
so im going to eb in like 20 mins..
hopefully ill get it!

peace