PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet

Majin
01-26-2001, 10:01 PM
I just wanted to know exactly what Ethernet is.

Armacham
01-26-2001, 10:12 PM
Ethernet is an add-on card you can add to your PC to access a network. The XBox uses one because you need it to hook up to broadband modem.

KevinM
01-27-2001, 05:32 AM
But it will also be used to hook XBOX's together in a LAN (Local area network) environment using a network hub or switch. We usually have a big lan party at Toms house on the weekends and even travel (sometimes) hundreds of miles toting our PC's to events to compete with other players in games such as Quake III, Unreal Tournament and Counterstrike. Imagine what the future holds with multiplayer titles such as Halo along with the network support that the XBOX has already built in.. we could easily begin to see people sporting their XBOX's and a TV at the upcoming lan events!!! Sweeet!

Majin
01-27-2001, 02:25 PM
Lol, i'm very confused. I have a computer with a 56k. In my area Cable and DSL are not avaible. Will i still be able to use Ethernet. And if i can play with my 56k will i have to buy a Ethernet cord or something seperate?

(I guess as you can tell that i don't know much about Ethernet or XBox, although i do plan to get the XBox when it comes out because it looks like it will blow every other system away)

John
01-27-2001, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Majin
Lol, i'm very confused. I have a computer with a 56k. In my area Cable and DSL are not avaible. Will i still be able to use Ethernet. And if i can play with my 56k will i have to buy a Ethernet cord or something seperate?

The Xbox's internet capabilities will only include broadband. You can't dial up, like your 56k. :( Sucks, doesn't it? I don't have a broadband connection yet.. Our cable service is quite disorganized in my "small town USA". Hopefully things will pick up..

Majin
01-27-2001, 07:45 PM
I also live in a "small town". So since my "little town" doesn't offer services like Cable and DSL i won't get to go online with my Xbox?

John
01-28-2001, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Majin
I also live in a "small town". So since my "little town" doesn't offer services like Cable and DSL i won't get to go online with my Xbox?

Yep, pretty much. People say that most of America will be accessible to broadband connections in the next few years.. You really wouldn't really have too much fun with a 56k, since dial-ups usually run slow and choppy.. Especially so with more popular networks, like this will be.

Tom
01-28-2001, 08:47 AM
I live out in the sticks, and have a one way cable modem. But...I still have to call out via a modem but I receive my downstream by cable. Thats definitly not going to work with the Xbox. :( But, I'm hoping my cable company will get off their butts and make it 2 way.

*holding breath*

Majin
01-28-2001, 06:53 PM
I was reading in the Feb. edition of EGM that in some games there will be rewards like downloading new levels and skins. Since i can't go online with my Xbox will i still be able to play the games?

Tom
01-28-2001, 08:39 PM
that if there are "special" things associated with on-line play, it will not affect the single player part of the game. At least, I would hope not!