PDA

View Full Version : Will this get better?

faceoff508
06-18-2002, 09:08 PM
:o :o Morrowind at first was really good but now it seems to get me bored. The things thatyou do are repititive and I am personnaly getting tired of it. Just wanted to ask, will this ever get better? Get more exciting? New things?

I want to know if I should return it or not!

khaos2005
06-18-2002, 09:43 PM
Return? No.
Get better? Yes.

wweomaniac
06-18-2002, 09:45 PM
When I played it for the first 20 minutes, I thought it was boring.

My friend said he'd let me borrow the game over the summer to see if it gets better. He hasn't played the game much either.

Spike Minoda
06-18-2002, 10:13 PM
I thought in this game no two things can happen exactly... everything depends on your actions... I don't really know... don't care.

RadRider
06-19-2002, 02:18 AM
I think most people were expecting something different than what Morrowind really had to offer. Chances are you should take it back... No wait, I mean give it to me. I only have it on my PC now, and I need it for my Xbox too so I can play both characters at the same time. My computer upstairs is too slow to run Morrowind, so I'm stuck in the awful situation of only being able to play one copy of Morrowind at a time! The pain!

faceoff508
06-19-2002, 09:43 AM
I have decided to return it. This game is not fun at all. The fighting engine is not that good, its the same thing over and over again. Also there is not that many things to do. The duties are always similar and boring. Now I will just have to wait until Project Ego comes out. Now thats a RPG that will crush Morrowind!

Kooster
06-19-2002, 10:01 AM
how do u return games? i played morrowind for a couple hours the day i got it, and i havent played it at all ever since. its a good game, but its really long. i never feel like playing it.

faceoff508
06-19-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by hotshot657
how do u return games? i played morrowind for a couple hours the day i got it, and i havent played it at all ever since. its a good game, but its really long. i never feel like playing it.

Same here, at first its good, then it gets boring. I bought it at EB so I cant return it, but I will get another game!

Dre
06-19-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by faceoff508
Now I will just have to wait until Project Ego comes out. Now thats a RPG that will crush Morrowind!

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Spaztic
06-19-2002, 11:29 AM
go to walmart tell them the game skips they will let you exchange the game for the same thing! So now you have a new game still in its shrink wrap...now any store will really return it for a different one! Done it a couple times!

Woocifer
06-19-2002, 10:19 PM
Its about time this thread was started...this game doesnt get any better...its the same thing over and over again, lack lustre effects along with a number of other things that kinda mar the entire experience.

I can't believe people were complaining that OXM gave it 8.1

That seems more than fair to me. But of course just look at the number of 0wn1ng threads that have been floating around claiming this to be the best game in the world...

I think I've seen maybe 3-4 reviews of this game that are fair in the factor of quality and gameplay. Otherwise it's this wide eyed drooling mob that is just excited that a new game came out heheh...

has nothing to do with opinion...the facts are there, simplistic fighting, low end effects dealing with magic, non-impacting actions, repetative text no matter where you go, low frame rate, major fog, dull and fuzzy textures compared with the pc....

Good attempt, but it was hollow...candy coating, but no chocolate inside.

Or maybe what most people around here understand, all rollies but no weed...

RadRider
06-20-2002, 12:02 AM
Anybody who hates Morrowind Obviously wasn't paying attention to what they were buying. If you don't like it, trade it to me, I can handle big games.

Tigerbob4
06-20-2002, 12:37 AM
I know that this isnt the room where u trade, but for the people who dont like morrowind i was woindering if i could buy it from u...u give me a price!

X-Factor
06-20-2002, 02:30 AM
I'll trade 2 Xbox controllers for a used copy of Morrowind. :D

Tigerbob4
06-20-2002, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by X-Factor
I'll trade 2 Xbox controllers for a used copy of Morrowind. :D are you kidding me???...i was thinking like 20-30 bucks

Felon
06-20-2002, 03:34 AM
Morrowind satifies my LootWhore tendencies

UnitedKingdom
06-20-2002, 06:04 AM
So its worth a rent but its not worth buying, is that what you guys are trying to say?

Woocifer
06-20-2002, 07:01 AM
I say rent it for a couple days and try it out. You'll find that this isn't a 'I can't handle a big game' issue... it's more of a little game spread across too much space.

When you do your quests, nothing really changes. The initial 10 hours will make you excited...but even around the 10th you'll be thinking okay lets go on with this. But you will find that really...there isn't enough to the game to make it an experience. Yes there is weather, yes there is textured water(which is slow btw), yes there are tonnes of little quests and different terrains...but when it comes down to it, it just isn't clever enough.

Rent it first, don't listen to these nut case supporters... you need to find out if this game is for you or not.

faceoff508
06-20-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by UnitedKingdom
So its worth a rent but its not worth buying, is that what you guys are trying to say?

At first it may seem fun. You go to other cities meet new people, fight, join gluides, and raise your skills. But after 2-3 days you will notice that it gets repititive, then you go back and return it.

khaos2005
06-20-2002, 08:27 AM
Some people are too critical. This game is a great game, I've been playing for 40 hours or so, and am not at all bored.

This is my first purchased RPG. I had not played many RPG's up until this point. Morrowind has got me hooked on RPG's, which are now one of my favorite genres.

I think it would be fair to be a fan of similar RPG's before you can even rate this game. Otherwise, your own interests are tainting your review, which isn't fair.

If you're that confused, rent it. But I would say buy it. If you don't like it, tough. Keep it or trade it, but don't return it. That's just lame. I wasn't happy being stuck with Max Payne or Wreckless, but I didn't go out and cheat the system either.

I don't think you will dislike it, so returning it shouldn't be a factor anyways. Just be prepared for a long and involved game.

Dre
06-20-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Woocifer
Rent it first, don't listen to these nut case supporters...

Thats a pretty harsh comment. Because I love this game and can appreciate it for what it is, a great RPG, I'm a "nut case supporter"? Where's the reasoning behind that?

Ok folks, let me set something straight. This is a real RPG. This is not Final Fantasy. This is not Diablo. This sort of game usually caters to the PC crowd and I think its actually the first classic RPG (CRPG) to come out on any console ever. Its not for the average console gamer, thats why we don't see more games like this one on consoles. Its normal that anyone expecting non-stop action from a title like this when they buy it is pretty clueless about what kind of RPG this is and will probably be disappointed. Why? Well, its such a huge game with so much to do and so many places to explore that it can be somewhat overwhelming at first.

If you know what you're getting into, it can be one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences you've ever had. If you were expecting a Halo with character development and quests well.. just keep on waiting. Brute force is around the bend :)

Woocifer
06-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Dre, for the most part, those who have supported this game have been fanatical about every other tiny thing they support. It seems that every review I've read that supports this game talks about it's superiority over every other game in the world. They claim that it is the greatest looking game ever and so on...

I don't mind people saying hey I like the game because there is a tonne of things to do...but the facts just aren't being brought to attention that the frame rate is sticky, the loading and loading times are lond and extraneous, the quests are numerous but they really don't change any factors in the game.

I read one guy murdered an entire town...but nothing happened and his respect was hardly realized by the other characters. I've played many RPGs, and the idea behind role playing is that you get to choose who you are and what you do in the world. In this game you really don't get much opportunity to become an individual. Yes you can climb the ranks in a guild, but what do you get from it? Nothing but new text messages to read.

What I'm saying here is, sure they gave us the choose your own adventure platform...but they didn't give us enough reward for choosing right or wrong.

It's like you could become king in this game and the only thing you'd get from it are new text messages...no cinematic, no procession, no throne to sit on...NOTHING. I find that my major gripe with this game is that it takes but it doesn't give.

That's why it's mediocre. That's why the idea of something like Pro-Race Driver or Project Ego are very interesting. The idea that what you do in the game will have a direct effect to what the game responds with.

I don't need direction in a game. But reaction is paramount.

That is why I call these people nutbars or whatever it is... Most of them just get off from stealing things from shop keeps...sounds kinda monotonous to me.

Anyway, to break through this huge amount of support that I haven't heard backed up by much, I was offering a bit of advice to someone viewing all that we've said.

If I'm not right, and you're not right, then he should just rent. Which is what I advised him to do.

Dre
06-20-2002, 02:34 PM
Granted, this game doesn't have the nicest graphics. The textures can look washed out at times and the frame-rate does drop from time to time. But once you start playing, you hardly even notice these things. My reason for enjoying the games graphics so much is the sum of everything. Cool looking water, full weather effects along with moving clouds, amazing looking armors and weapons, immensely detailed environments/towns. If you combine all of these factors together, thats what makes this games graphics stand-out above the rest. It successfully combines all these things, something I have yet to see in any other RPG (and other genres as well for that matter).

Quests are very different. I don't care what anyone says. Going to retrieve mushrooms in the wild, stealing a specific item from a character, assasinating an important political figure or simply accompanying a traveller from location to location to ensure their safety are hardly the same thing. And I disagree with the "quests don't change any factors in the game". It is by different quests that the plot is revealed to you. It is by different quests that you rise to the top of your House. It is by different quests that you can take control of a guild. It is by different quests that you learn the history of Morrowind. And it goes on and on like this.

Murdering a whole town will have consequences, just ask my bro Jjax :) If this person successfully murdered a whole town and guards weren't on his ass then he was lying to you, unless he taunted every single person in the town to fight him which is possible (but long and somewhat boring). When I murder towns for fun (save first, reload later :)) and talk to NPC's afterwards they will refuse me services, etc. I myself play a good guy and now NPC's actually walk towards me saying things like "Are you the one I've heard so much about?" or "You must be a thief because you've stolen my heart". I mean, I'm getting full recognition for my acts as I'm growing more and more popular in the land.

Anyways, I agree with you wholeheartedly on renting this game first... unless you're a hardcore RPG fan. It is definitely not a game for everyone. But the crowd it caters to, in general, enjoys it quite a bit!

I just don't appreciate people saying bad things about the game if they're not into RPG's. Thats like me commenting on how bad a certain cow milker is. I don't live on a farm, I've never milked a cow.. so how the hell am I able to say that a certain cow-milker sucks? Thats why I feel the need to defend this game.. I feel like alot of the bad press from it is from people that aren't really into RPG's in the first place and don't understand things like a fighting system with 3 moves.

y2kash_14
06-20-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Tigerbob4
I know that this isnt the room where u trade, but for the people who dont like morrowind i was woindering if i could buy it from u...u give me a price!

$80 in US dollars ;)

Felon
06-21-2002, 12:28 AM
this has beed an excelent game to ween me of off EQ. I give it a 10