PDA

View Full Version : Online Console War

SkoalMint
06-19-2002, 09:30 AM
Found a pretty good article here (http://www.xengamers.com/sections/columns/7723/) . It's a long read (4 pages) but an interesting take on how the battle for your living room and ultimately your home could shape up.

The idea of using dumb terminals that only render the pictures on the screen with all of the processing taking place on on central servers was interesting. Granted, the technologies that would allow us to do this are a long ways down the road, but it is interesting.

MOrgE
06-19-2002, 09:41 AM
nice read man....
thanks...

faceoff508
06-19-2002, 09:45 AM
Looks like Microsoft has the best of the online strategy!!

MOrgE
06-19-2002, 10:12 AM
it also looks to me as if Microsoft released their console with full intentions of being able to bring it online....

Sony released their console with the idea still in the dark...

robnyack
06-19-2002, 10:44 AM
good article.

I think Microsoft is on the right path. Sony is left scrambling to come up with some kind of online plan. Nintendo is not even bothering.

If MS can grab a couple million Live subscriptions over the next couple years, they will have established a beachhead in the online game war that might be unpenetrable. BUT, that is the KEY question....how many people are going to be willing to pay for online game service. History is not on MS side on this question. And a recent poll showed an extremely small % of internet users willing to pay subscription fees for ANYTHING online. The one bright spot in that poll....online gaming resulted in the highest % of people who would be willing to pay subcription fees (although it was only about 12%).

It will be an extremely interesting story to watch (and to be a part of, of course!)

DZNUTZ
06-19-2002, 10:52 AM
MS can bank on my $$$. cuz when live rolls out....i'm gonna be taking numbers and kicking all ya'll ashes.

ya know what i just thought of.....for age verified and eligable adults......gambling via competitive games would be whoop ash!!!

OppiumNitrates
06-19-2002, 10:59 AM
think about all the presure that MS put on sony since the Xbox has come about. . . . Sony never really said a word about online gaming untill the Xbox(fully loaded with standared equipment to be online) came out and garenteed an online service within the first year . . . So sony slaps together some adapters for modems and HDDs puts together a make shift demo for E3 (only cauz they knew MS was just releasing info and didnt have a demo, so they thought they would be slick and try to show up MS with an online demo) . . . Now once LIVE is up and running sony will see how far behind MS puts them but the only down side is the fact that no one wants to pay fo the service and only harecore gamers will get it . . . .

Sony might be winning this battle (Xbox vs. PS2) but the war is far from over . . .

SkoalMint
06-19-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
MS can bank on my $$$. cuz when live rolls out....i'm gonna be taking numbers and kicking all ya'll ashes.

ya know what i just thought of.....for age verified and eligable adults......gambling via competitive games would be whoop ash!!!

Hmm...

Based on your recent cruise incident, do you thing gambling is such a good idea???? ;)

J/K

Personally, I think it would be interesting. Assuming it could be done right (i.e., age verification, secure payments, etc.)

Spike Minoda
06-19-2002, 01:27 PM
that is some good stuff dude always great to hear stuff going for teh xbox and that we will crush teh pos2 in the ways of online gaming! :D

thermador
06-19-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by SkoalMint
Found a pretty good article here (http://www.xengamers.com/sections/columns/7723/) . It's a long read (4 pages) but an interesting take on how the battle for your living room and ultimately your home could shape up.

The idea of using dumb terminals that only render the pictures on the screen with all of the processing taking place on on central servers was interesting. Granted, the technologies that would allow us to do this are a long ways down the road, but it is interesting.

The technology that would allow us to use dumb terminals is already here. We currently use this Technology where I work since Sept of 1999. We use Citrix MetaFrame runing on 4 Terminal Servers. Each Terminal Server is capable of about 200 connections at one time.

If you live by a Wal-Mart that has a Vison Center in it look at the computer in there. You will that they are not even computers but Wyse Winterminal's(dumb terminals). Also, if you live by a BJ's Whole Sale Club they run the same set up.

OppiumNitrates
06-19-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by thermador

The technology that would allow us to use dumb terminals is already here. We currently use this Technology where I work since Sept of 1999. We use Citrix MetaFrame runing on 4 Terminal Servers. Each Terminal Server is capable of about 200 connections at one time.

If you live by a Wal-Mart that has a Vison Center in it look at the computer in there. You will that they are not even computers but Wyse Winterminal's(dumb terminals). Also, if you live by a BJ's Whole Sale Club they run the same set up.

good post and welcome to the XBA fourms. . . .

yeah but about the connection needed to send the info to the TV/terminal isnt reall available in household and if it is its probly way to expensive right now to do just to play games

thermador
06-19-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates

good post and welcome to the XBA fourms. . . .

yeah but about the connection needed to send the info to the TV/terminal isnt reall available in household and if it is its probly way to expensive right now to do just to play games

We use Cable Modems and dial up to connect to the Servers here at work from a remote connection. According to the manuals that I have re-guarding speed you only need a 24.7 kps to connect and achieve optimum performance. It's a really cool set-up that we have here where I work.

Hugh_Jass
06-19-2002, 06:18 PM
This would be a huge step backward for personal privacy rights. Thin clients at work is one thing, but thin clients at home is UNDESIREABLE.

If it comes down to that I will probably just switch to a different OS.

Bakero
06-20-2002, 09:50 AM
:) ;) ;) :)

“for he who controls the network, controls the universe of digital entertainment. Scary stuff? Probably”

Is it just me or does anyone find it odd that the article makes Online Gaming the Be all End all of “digital entertainment”. I don’t know about you guys, but when I ask casual gamers about broadband connect ability of their console they look at me funny and gives me a slap on the face. I’m sure 10 or so years from now broadband gaming on consoles will be a factor, but as it stands right now (this gen. Console war) I think the solid single player modes in consoles is what’s driving the industry. This whole Broadband thing Console Wars issue is really something that hardcore gamers find amusing. Let’s face it the industry is driven by casual gamers and I don’t think much of them care for broadband gaming or even aware of what the hell it is. Doing the Broadband thing better definitely doesn’t mean winning the console war, at least not in this generation. The article is a little ahead of it’s self, N E way it was somewhat interesting.

:rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

Ninja Scroll
06-20-2002, 11:59 AM
I dont think it take a rocket scientist to know MS and their Xbox Live has the best online strategy, but the question is, will hte people come?
By XBL being Broadband only, it will hurt them. MS knows that. Shoot, it's because of XBL im going broadband in August.
But I was eventually going to go broadband at some point in life. XBL is just da little more motivation I needed to caugh of $49.95 a month for the internet.

But as we all know, Dial-Up blows!:)