PDA

View Full Version : I am considering dumping my Xbox...

FpS_PhReeK
06-19-2002, 11:23 AM
Man this whole thing started with Outlaw Golf... I am constantly getting dirty disk errors and freezes. This never happens with anyother games or DVD's but a person from Hypnotix, the developer of Outlaw Golf suggests that because I have a early unit, I picked it up 2 days after launch, I have a defective unit and that dirty disk errors will become more prevelent in other games. The Hypnotix guy says that the people who are reporting dirt disk errors are mainly those early Xbox buyers... those before Christmas.

I am disapointed with MicroSofts response to my inquiries... they have mainly responded by saying that there is a problem with the softwares programing. No one has been able to tell me why my Xbox works fine and dandy with all other games and DVD's but not with the OLG.

The idea that my Xbox may be deteriorating and might begin to experience dirty disk errors more frequently has led me to the point of considering dumping my Xbox for store credit at EB...

I could then:

A. Get a new Xbox (the repair of my Xbox if it is found defective could exceed $70, why have a repaired unit when I could have a new one?)

B. Get a GameCube (Fun games, but not really my bag, would save me money tho~)

C. Get a PS2 (Great games, a little behind the technology curve, but tried and true, I never had a problem, not one, with my PS1)

D. Pick up a few Computer Games/DVD's (Last option, not really a good idea)

Give me some feedback, for those of you who know me you know I have been here since Nov 2001, I have been active and while I have not posted as many times as Maximus and Ninja Scroll but I have tried to bring some good posts, controversy, and generally interesting information to this community. I really appreciate any constructive feedback.... meaning please leave the flames and fanboy attitudes out of your posts.

PhReeK out!

MOrgE
06-19-2002, 11:31 AM
lemme put the situation into perspective using a girlfriend/boyfriend real life situation... ;)

ahem

you have yourself a girlfriend who you love and apprecaite.... this girlfriend looks great (no jaggies like her friends), has a great voice (DDigital babyyy), and is just awesome to play with for hours.... the relationship has been going good for you for the past couples months and things are really looking up... until... one day, problems start to arise in the relationship... and they continue... and continue...

looks at his watch and sees that its lunchtime

ok.. to make a long story REAL short, don't dump the XboX just because its giving you problems... you know you love the system... so why take away your pleasure? instead of paying out cash for a GameCube or a PS2, repair the XboX and BE HAPPY!

if it makes you feel any better, my harddrive crashed 3 days ago on my XboX... and i lost ALL my saved games...
but i got my new one coming in tonite... and i'm happier then ever!! :)

wweomaniac
06-19-2002, 11:32 AM
For the one millionth time.

Buy a new xbox (but thats not all)
Now you got a brand new receipt and a brand new box.

Put your old xbox in the box and return saying that it didn't work.
Now your old xbox is back at the store andyou got a new xbox.

Spaztic
06-19-2002, 11:34 AM
hey there is a fix for your problem in the forums on my sig!

E Nomini Patri
06-19-2002, 11:38 AM
I feel sorry for ya man! That's a bummer to have a bad X-Box:( If I were you, I'd just save up the dough and get a new X-Box. I know that would be worth it. I have no idea what you should do with the old one. Take it apart and keep the innards or something? I hope you make a good decision.

DZNUTZ
06-19-2002, 11:45 AM
man...that sux...its unfortunate...but tru..regardless of what the product or who the manufacturer is....their will always be prblems/defects/etc.

my personal opinion....its worth keeping your xbox regardless of wether u need to fix it or buy a new one......

i own all the next gen consoles....and if i was in your predicament...i would deffinately make sho i had a properly working xbox one way or the other. i can't for sho say the same if i had probs with my other consoles.

btw..if u end up buying a new console....get the extended warranty....i did...and its worth it to have the peace of mind that your covered. also if i have even the slightest probs with my console or 1st party controllers...i just bring em in and get new ones on the spot..no questions asked!

EHWfedPres
06-19-2002, 11:49 AM
I heard that many Outlaw Golf disks were erroneous, but who cares, golf sucks anyway go buy Morrowind.

xboxmaster2002
06-19-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
I heard that many Outlaw Golf disks were erroneous, but who cares, golf sucks anyway go buy Morrowind.

outlaw golf doesnt suck...have you even played it?

Scarlet Spider
06-19-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac

you cant do that, the searile (SP?) numbers wont mach and they wont take it back at wal*mart , you have to swap the insides out and keep your old case.

hook-worm J
06-19-2002, 12:40 PM

I've noticed a lot of your recent posts in different threads... And you seem to dis every game they're talking about and tell them to buy Morrowind. Thats wonderful if you like Morrowind, and recommend it to people. But its just plain childish to say every other game "sucks".

robnyack
06-19-2002, 12:55 PM
I don't see what your problem is.....it sounds like you bought the xbox at EB, which they are very good at exchanging consoles.

My first xbox I got on launch day. It developed some problems about 6 weeks later (everything started freezing....never got the dirty disk error message though). I finally said enough is enough, and I took it back, and told them it ain't working right, they took it, came back 1 minute later with a brand new xbox, gave it to me, told me if I was unlucky enough to have it break donw once a month for the next year, I could bring it in every time and they would give me another one right on the spot. I took my new xbox and went whistling on my way.

By the way....you do have the extended warranty, right? RIGHT??????????????

Snoopy7548
06-19-2002, 12:56 PM
i got my xbox the first day it came out, and i havent had any problems with it yet:D

EHWfedPres
06-19-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by hook-worm J

I've noticed a lot of your recent posts in different threads... And you seem to dis every game they're talking about and tell them to buy Morrowind. Thats wonderful if you like Morrowind, and recommend it to people. But its just plain childish to say every other game "sucks".

Its ok for people to say that Outlaw Golf is a good game...so its ok for me to say that its a bad game. My opinion means the same as everyone else's.

robnyack
06-19-2002, 01:05 PM
Its ok for people to say that Outlaw Golf is a good game...so its ok for me to say that its a bad game. My opinion means the same as everyone else's.

unless, of course, you have never played the game. You have played the game, right? RIGHT? If not, your opinion does NOT mean the same as everyone else's who have played the game.

EHWfedPres
06-19-2002, 01:06 PM
of course i played it, why would I say it sucked if I didnt know for sure?

silvertrace
06-19-2002, 01:14 PM
i bought morrowind and outlaw golf, i'm happy with both:cool:

as for your problems with your box, u should have gotten the insurance!!!!!!!!

OppiumNitrates
06-19-2002, 01:21 PM
sounds lik ur xbox already dumped you

Casper
06-19-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by silvertrace
i bought morrowind and outlaw golf, i'm happy with both:cool:

as for your problems with your box, u should have gotten the insurance!!!!!!!!

errr..what type of insurance do you have on your XBox man? Progressive? Prudential? State Farm? :rolleyes:

What silver meant was that you should of gotten the warranty.

3 things to do man:

1. Go buy a new one (with the warranty)

2. Return the one that is broken with the new receipt (I don't think that this will kill the warranty).

3. Right the developers of Outlaw Golf a letter explaining that you are dissatisfied with their customer service. If all other games work, along with other DVD's, it is obviously a problem with their software. The one thing that I hate while being a tech, is that no one ever thinks that the problem is their fault, but pushed the blame onto someone else. They probably had a problem with coding the earlier xboxes (which I have NEVER heard of) or they had a bunch of bad ones. They are a new developer and this stuff can happen.

Good luck man...and I'm just trying to help a brutha out :)

FpS_PhReeK
06-19-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by MOrgE
lemme put the situation into perspective using a girlfriend/boyfriend real life situation... ;)

ahem

you have yourself a girlfriend who you love and apprecaite.... this girlfriend looks great (no jaggies like her friends), has a great voice (DDigital babyyy), and is just awesome to play with for hours.... the relationship has been going good for you for the past couples months and things are really looking up... until... one day, problems start to arise in the relationship... and they continue... and continue...

looks at his watch and sees that its lunchtime

ok.. to make a long story REAL short, don't dump the XboX just because its giving you problems... you know you love the system... so why take away your pleasure? instead of paying out cash for a GameCube or a PS2, repair the XboX and BE HAPPY!

if it makes you feel any better, my harddrive crashed 3 days ago on my XboX... and i lost ALL my saved games...
but i got my new one coming in tonite... and i'm happier then ever!! :)

Thanks for the insight, hehe I like the "nice voice (DDigital babyyy)" lol.

Well I decided to get a lens cleaner and a new copy of the game... so I will give it some time. I have payed for a few minutes but I have not had any real time to test the game and my hardware... I pray to the game gods that I will not see any problems.

PhReeK out!

FpS_PhReeK
06-19-2002, 03:03 PM

I don't know if it would work, serial numbers you know...

I don't think that I could do it anyway,,, just not my style. Thanks for the support tho~

PhReeK out!

FpS_PhReeK
06-19-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsFanMan
I feel sorry for ya man! That's a bummer to have a bad X-Box:( If I were you, I'd just save up the dough and get a new X-Box. I know that would be worth it. I have no idea what you should do with the old one. Take it apart and keep the innards or something? I hope you make a good decision.

Thanks for your support.

Well I could get $125 store credit at EB to use towards a new Xbox. I am considering this option as my first choice if dirty disk errors should continue.

PhReeK out!

FpS_PhReeK
06-19-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
....get the extended warranty....i did...and its worth it to have the peace of mind that your covered. also if i have even the slightest probs with my console or 1st party controllers...i just bring em in and get new ones on the spot..no questions asked!

I totally agree, I have definitely learned my lesson. Thanks for your support.

PhReeK out!

EHWfedPres
06-19-2002, 03:06 PM
have you gotten a dirty disk error with every game?

FpS_PhReeK
06-19-2002, 03:08 PM

Really not a welcome response...

PhReeK out!

FpS_PhReeK
06-19-2002, 03:12 PM
have you gotten a dirty disk error with every game?

I have never had a dirt disk error EVER... until OLG; then there seemed to be an abundance of them. I never get an error with anyother games or DVD's only with OLG. I traded the disk again today, I am now on my fourth copy, I also picked up a DVD lens cleaner, I hope that this will solve this problem.

PhReeK out!

Snoopy7548
06-19-2002, 03:12 PM
i bought my xbox on the launch date, and so far, ive only had a few problems. one was in project gotham, it froze, but it was probly somethin with the cd. and a few times while loading the project gotham cd, i got the dirty disc error. i dont think that the early xbox's are defective, i think its just their game. but they dont want to admit it:D

FpS_PhReeK
06-19-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
i think its just their game. but they dont want to admit it:D

I agree with ya Snoop', these folks will never fess up... the guy at EB said it might have been that Hypnotix used cheaper disks than other game manufactures.... but who knows. I just know everything else works fine.

THE BIG SCARY THING WAS.... the people from Hypnotix stating that the Xboxes released before Xmas are the ones experiecing the problems and that these units are defective and the frequency of dirty disk errors will increase in the near future... that is not comforting.

PhReeK out!

EHWfedPres
06-19-2002, 03:16 PM
Morrowind game me a few problems, freezing, etc...nothign else really. But I dont care because its only like minor stuff really.

Also, the OXM demo disks are always scratched when I get them, and some demos never even work...

Snoopy7548
06-19-2002, 03:17 PM
yea, i just won outlaw golf from an xbox site, so, if it doesnt work, im gonna be so mad. i dont know how im gonna return it for another copy:confused: :( :eek: i sure hope it works!:D

FpS_PhReeK
06-19-2002, 03:19 PM
yea, i just won outlaw golf from an xbox site, so, if it doesnt work, im gonna be so mad. i dont know how im gonna return it for another copy:confused: :( :eek: i sure hope it works!:D

Congrats and Good Luck.

PhReeK out!

Casper
06-19-2002, 03:22 PM

Which one man? You mean that your not just on XBA.....you cheatin hore...lol ;)

JimmieDoogan
06-19-2002, 03:23 PM
Let me say something before you go on thinking the PS2 is a prestine and perfect machine. Hardly any of the DVD's I have work on my PS2, I have had games crash on me and freeze as well. ALL SYSTEMS HAVE TROUBLES. If you would like to believe that your system is dying, then turn it in for store credit and get a new one. I hope you don't think that when you play any games they are going to work properly CONSTANTLY. The otherday, I had BLOOD OMEN II freeze while I was playing. It would've bothered me, but GTAIII crashed on my PS2 just a few hours before that, and NHL2k2 for DC wouldn't start unless I spun the disc first. Fact of the matter is, computers have errors, and yes your console's are computers, they just function differently than an x86 processor system. Like I said, if you think you Xbox might be the cause, then take it back, get store credit and buy a new one. But don't get another system because you believe that its going to be solid. Hell a buddy of mine has had his PS2 die on him already and he treats all his stuff like they were his children (yes he's a good father, and no he never hits them). It could very well be your Xbox. When I'd first gotten my Xbox it was giving me trouble, I'd sent it back to Microshaft and they fixed it right up. No problems now... except the occasional freeze that occurs on all my systems (PC, DC, GC, PS2, PS1, Xbox) but I think its only because its so hot here right now... this is one of the hottest summers we've ever had in Colorado. I turn on anyone of my systems for an hour and its hot as hell.

Snoopy7548
06-19-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by casper

Which one man? You mean that your not just on XBA.....you cheatin hore...lol ;)

lol, nope, i just joined that site for the contest. it was PlanetGAC. lol, someone on the xba forums advertised for the contest, so i just joined it and i came in second place, so i got to pick a game of my choice. lol.:D

Casper
06-19-2002, 03:27 PM

lol, nope, i just joined that site for the contest. it was PlanetGAC. lol, someone on the xba forums advertised for the contest, so i just joined it and i came in second place, so i got to pick a game of my choice. lol.:D

Is that the one that Kraft won? I was going to try and get into it, but didn't see it in time. :(

OppiumNitrates
06-19-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
Let me say something before you go on thinking the PS2 is a prestine and perfect machine. Hardly any of the DVD's I have work on my PS2, I have had games crash on me and freeze as well. ALL SYSTEMS HAVE TROUBLES. If you would like to believe that your system is dying, then turn it in for store credit and get a new one. I hope you don't think that when you play any games they are going to work properly CONSTANTLY. The otherday, I had BLOOD OMEN II freeze while I was playing. It would've bothered me, but GTAIII crashed on my PS2 just a few hours before that, and NHL2k2 for DC wouldn't start unless I spun the disc first. Fact of the matter is, computers have errors, and yes your console's are computers, they just function differently than an x86 processor system. Like I said, if you think you Xbox might be the cause, then take it back, get store credit and buy a new one. But don't get another system because you believe that its going to be solid. Hell a buddy of mine has had his PS2 die on him already and he treats all his stuff like they were his children (yes he's a good father, and no he never hits them). It could very well be your Xbox. When I'd first gotten my Xbox it was giving me trouble, I'd sent it back to Microshaft and they fixed it right up. No problems now... except the occasional freeze that occurs on all my systems (PC, DC, GC, PS2, PS1, Xbox) but I think its only because its so hot here right now... this is one of the hottest summers we've ever had in Colorado. I turn on anyone of my systems for an hour and its hot as hell.

thats a good call everything Foks up once in a while . . . and about the Hot summer . . . . i have a small desk fan blowing on my Xbox 24/7 never had any problems with freezes and never did it get hot at all even after being on for hours . . . i do get the DD prob when playin halo online but thtas really not an error

EHWfedPres
06-19-2002, 03:51 PM
There was a chart somewhere of movies what didnt work on the PS2...and it was a huge chart...but that was last year that I saw it...either way, if you want to play dvd's, get a dvd player. Video game consoles are not made specifcally for that purpose, so of course it will not operate as well as a dvd player.

FpS_PhReeK
06-19-2002, 09:39 PM
I traded Outlaw Golf again today,, on my 4th copy... also picked up a DVD lens cleaner... deleted my old saved files of OLG from the Xbox HD then unplugged it for 5 minutes like the teksupport dude said.... popped in OLG and sooooo far soooooo good.... hopefully the game gods smile on me and I do not have any problems....

oh btw... I would have traded my Xbox for credit and payed the difference for a new one... there are just too many great reasons to stay with the Xbox... man I saw some VERY cool stuff over at IGN on Battlefield 1942... god this game looks sweet.

Peace all, and thanks for being there for me in my time of crisis.
Pray for good gaming please.

PhReeK out!

hook-worm J
06-19-2002, 09:52 PM
Good luck! May the gaming gods be with you! :D

UnitedKingdom
06-20-2002, 06:51 AM
Good choice! Once xbox, always xbox!

guitargod711
06-20-2002, 10:22 AM
I work with tech sh&$, and have gone to college for 3 years. Common sense says that if only one game does it, IT'S NOT YOUR BOX!!!!!!!. I'm sick of misinformed people taking half-assed advice. I got a dirty disk error 3 times since i had my box and it hasn't done it often. It doesn't mean it's broken. high-tech equipment isn't perfect. Freezes, crashes, and even errors are part of the ongoing technology growth period. Chill out dude!

guitargod711
06-20-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by FpS_PhReeK
I traded Outlaw Golf again today,, on my 4th copy... also picked up a DVD lens cleaner... deleted my old saved files of OLG from the Xbox HD then unplugged it for 5 minutes like the teksupport dude said.... popped in OLG and sooooo far soooooo good.... hopefully the game gods smile on me and I do not have any problems....

oh btw... I would have traded my Xbox for credit and payed the difference for a new one... there are just too many great reasons to stay with the Xbox... man I saw some VERY cool stuff over at IGN on Battlefield 1942... god this game looks sweet.

Peace all, and thanks for being there for me in my time of crisis.
Pray for good gaming please.

PhReeK out!

Buying the dvd lens cleaner was a baaaad mistake. That will ruin your box for sure. Now, i'd prob trade it in.

elitewp
06-20-2002, 11:57 AM
I also purchased my XBOX before Christmas and just after my 90 day warranty (I should have paid extra for the extended warranty) it started with the dirty disc errors. Recently the problem has progressed and games won't even boot now. I am convinced the problem is with the dvd-rom. I cracked it open (since the warranty has expired anyway, what does it matter) and it is a standard IDE 8x dvd-rom but w/ a custom power cable and input. It is impossible to get a replacement part and sending it off to get fixed would be almost as expensive as buying a new unit. I think I should just put this XBOX in the closet, for later use as spare parts and purchase a new one. This time with the extended warranty!

-EW

FpS_PhReeK
06-21-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by guitargod711

Buying the dvd lens cleaner was a baaaad mistake. That will ruin your box for sure. Now, i'd prob trade it in.

Whaaaaa? Are you serious? Tell me you are joking. (If you are joking stop reading at this point, *flame ahead*)

Dude if you are serious you make me laugh. Do you think that the Xbox is some mystical peice of technology, no you can't see into the future if you rub the little green jewel, IT IS A DVD ROM nothing unique or special,,, the little lense does get dusty.

"That will ruin your Xbox for sure" <---------- Pi$$ off

"Now, i'd prob trade it in." <-------------- I Pi$$ on you then

PhReeK out!

XboxDragoon
06-21-2002, 10:34 PM

Do it, it worked for my PS2..........

Cybiker
06-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Wow....they all lie too well....I got my Xbox January 7th at 8:34 pm...and I always get dirty disc and freezing during All Star Baseball 2003...

Nerrad529
06-22-2002, 06:16 PM
Yeah i heard some of the early xbox's are deffective. I would return it and say it was broken. Get a new one:cool:

CodeMonkey
06-22-2002, 07:01 PM
Glad to see it working..

Thing is with a game, if its fault and your on your second copy of the game, then I would get the money back and try another store or wait until they get another shipment of the game. The store you purchased your game from may have had a bad batch of the game you see.

Also if it happens again, phone MS and ask them for the code the resets your Xbox, this can usually sort minor problems out..

Hope the game keeps working for ya
:D

BlindSniper
06-22-2002, 10:19 PM
dont do it screw outlaw golf think huuuuuuuuuu /HALO\

Lazarus
06-23-2002, 07:14 PM
WWE sad but true- i did that once with a copy of Pokemon- i bought a new one- and returned the defective one with the new ones recipt- i was lucky they didnt ring it up- i got out of there lickity split and problem free

Derek_00
06-24-2002, 03:25 PM
Is this problem iminent with all early xbox's. Because i bought mine approximately a week after they were released in ontario, Canada and i was wondering if i should pull the switcheroo that someone suggusted

Xbox Owner
06-24-2002, 03:32 PM
I got mine the first day it came out. It's not broken, but I have a bad feeling.

Snake Eyez
06-24-2002, 03:40 PM
All these problem posts are making me paranoid now. I got my box launch day and all I here about is problems. Now every noise that it makes, I'll like noooo its going to break.

FpS_PhReeK
06-24-2002, 10:01 PM
I am not happy to report that the problems with Outlaw Golf have returned... it seems to only happen after like 30 mins of play... my fan is not broken,,, this only happens with Outlaw Golf no other games... I dunno I just have to live with it. If future games also have this problem I will just trade it for credit and drop the $75 for a new Xbox.... right now I am not happy and I am not playing Xbox.

PhReeK out!

EHWfedPres
06-24-2002, 10:05 PM
I dont have Outlaw Golf...and I dont have any (major) problems either. Wreckless freezes alot now, and boy am I ticked off :rolleyes: :D

Mr Blonde
06-26-2002, 09:44 AM
I have returned 3 uk xboxes now wassup unitedkingdom & codemonkey:) I can't put up with the errors. I have the cash sitting right here now and I want another one sooOOOOooOOOo bad, still visit this site regularly. Unfortunate thing is I'm one of those people who insist on perfection for my money(not difficult, all my other hardware works fine), MS fix the disc read problems and I'll have another, until then..

Nas
06-27-2002, 01:26 PM
i bought my xbox on the launch date, and so far, ive only had a few problems. one was in project gotham, it froze, but it was probly somethin with the cd. and a few times while loading the project gotham cd, i got the dirty disc error. i dont think that the early xbox's are defective, i think its just their game. but they dont want to admit it:D

Whew man, you are the one who's making me feel confident with my purchase! lol i just bought my friends Xbox offa him pretty cheap, and i looooooooooooove it, but it is a launch day one...and then i started getting all paranoid about how it will break or somethin and i can't do shieeet about it after reading this forum lol. but i mean, of course, rarely it will freeze, but i mean very rare..so rare that it isn't an issue. it shows no signs of functioning improperly (my friend had saved games on there since launch day...till i erased em..mwahahahah). But if it does break, i guess i'm just s.o.l. :mad: but i don't think it'll happen :)