PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Microsoft Doing anything 'bout the GameCube?

Sebastian-XBA
10-21-2001, 12:41 AM
nothing more to say. Express yourselves!:cool:

Plasticman
10-21-2001, 04:55 AM
What they do to the PS 2, they do to GameCube. What do you want them to do, tell all the little kids that the boogie man is going to get them if they buy a GameCube? The ad campaign and hype is what takes care of Xbox. I just don't understand why people expect a full fledged campaign attack a month before launch?? That'd be a waste. They'll do it around two weeks before launch, then that way they can streatch the marketing budget further by not starting too early.

Hermes
10-21-2001, 05:27 AM
Thanks. The problem with nintendo is that they have huge kiddy recognition. Kids don't care if only two games come out a year since they probably only get their parents to buy them games twice a year; on their birthday and at christmas. Thats nintendo's secret.

Plasticman
10-21-2001, 05:52 AM
Thing is, many kids today are turning hardcore. Kids are no longer the little tykes that want Tickle Me Elmo, they want Doom type games, and heavy violence. The Xbox hold a larger audience because it appeals to teenagers and adults alike, not just little kids. Not only that, but Nintendo's support is weak, so it will probably turn out like the N64. After Xbox launches, and the killer aps come out (Brute Force), they soon realize that their precious PS 2 or GC can't do anything near that, or they would have done it by now. PlayStation blew away the N64 because of it's audience and support, Xbox will repeat that over both.

Hermes
10-21-2001, 06:58 AM
I really hope Microsoft makes this case, I think it could make a big difference. Lets says a particularily violent game somehow gets released on gamecube(I know, bear with me). The kids mom won't buy it for him so his friend,whose parents are more liberal, brings it over and they play it while parents are at work. On Xbox this can't happen since it includes parental control and mommy and daddy can lock out anything they find objectionable. While this sucks for the kid, it's the parents who willl shell out 300 bucks for this.

DaysofthunderXB
10-21-2001, 07:27 AM
Ms doesn't need to do anything about GCN, Nintendo is killing themselves:D

rivalius13
10-21-2001, 09:17 AM
cause they have said they arent in competition with each other.

MDK
10-22-2001, 09:14 AM
that way they can streatch the marketing budget further by not starting too early.

Budget? What budget?

jsmaye
10-22-2001, 09:59 AM
Why isn't MS doing anything, you ask?

How about - better hardware, better games, more advertising $$$'s, long-term committment....

I'd say they were already doing plenty.

ThomasHun
10-22-2001, 10:21 AM
It is never good to take competition lightly although weak in appearance its what lies beneath to be afraid of

Milkman Dan
10-22-2001, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by rivalius13

And if you believe that, there is this bridge I've been meaning to sell, perhaps you're interested?

l Maximus l
10-22-2001, 11:33 AM
One thing is for sure, if Microsoft is behind (for some strange and odd reason), it will do whatever it takes to win us over...that means, even better games (if that were possible), more power, etc...

One thing Microsoft knows how to do is create great products that change the way technology is perceived. Now we finally get to see this technology in action by playing the most innovative gaming system to date! XBox takes all!

-Maximus

SquirrelJam
10-22-2001, 12:21 PM
The question, "Why isn't Miscrosoft doing anything about the GameCube?", implies that the xbox actually has something to fear from the LameCube:o This is silly and I'll illustrate by analogy.

This is like the mighty Porsche 911 being fearful of the Mazda Miata. :eek:

-- Don't sweat the small stuff. The LameCube is no threat to the mighty xbox!

tony86
10-23-2001, 06:49 AM

I have to agree with this. If you notice, Nintendo and MS have never been marketing to the same gaming demographic. Nintendo has been forthright in it's quest for the "family friendly" games (read: young). MS has consistently said they are after the hi-teen and adult demographic.

Yes, Nintendo may have one or two "adult" games, but their business model is built around the younger gamer. Now, as younger gamers grow, they will eventually outgrow their GC. Who will they turn to then? The PS2 that can't match the graphics of the GC, or the XBox which surpasses?

MS is not directly challenging Nintendo. SCEA however is a different story.......

:D

izzydroolin
10-23-2001, 08:18 AM
Were you expecting bill Gate's and a couple of thug's with baseball bat's to convince people the XBOX is better? I don't know what your idea of "doing something" is, but I think, if your leaning torwards the whole market domination thing, you should be a bit more patient. How would Microsoft go about
"converting" Nintendites with out showing them what they have to offer? I am not talking about video streams and hi res pics, I'm talking about hands on experience, 'cause when it come's down to it there is no finer way to make your choice.

I am a gamer through and through. I looked at and weighed all my options. I purchased a dreamcast in spite of knowing that in a years time from my purchase, all attention from it would revert to the PS2. I bought it because of two main reasons.

1. I have yet to play a SEGA console I didn't like.
2. I have yet to be disapointed with SEGA'S Game's.

True, not all of SEGA's game were exsactly my forte', But innovation kept my interest as a gamer.

Nintendo doesn't seem to have this trait any longer. When Nintendo was in there prime, They were innovative, and successful. I simply don't see that anymore. You can only push the pokemon craze so far before it becomes monotonious.

XBOX, on the other hand, seems to have picked up where Sega's legacy left off. So many new feature's, so many possibilites. And do I even have to mention the Games? I honestly feel that the XBOX is the most logical choice.

What of the PS2 you ask?
Well, to be honest, I am going to stay away from it. I am sure that if I was to get it I would like it. But here is my reasoning.
The PSone was a great machine, as was the Saturn. Both systems had great graphics(for their time) and gameplay. I prefered the saturn over my Psone. I didn't have to buy a memory card, and there were ton's of great game's listed to arrive on the saturn. Unfortunately, the saturn was rushed out, and was very difficult to develop for. Many developers realised that they could release twice as much product on the PSone in the amount of time it took to develop one game on the Saturn. There are some that argue that the saturn didn't have enough 3rd party support. They had plenty, just look at the Genesis's game list and see for yourself.
But with the ease of development on the PSone, Sony soon passed my first choice and came out as number one. I firmly believe the PS2 has taken the role of the Saturn, and XBOX being the new kid, just as Sony was, and easy to develop for, just as sony was, and has strong 3rd party support, just like sony has, I going to be a tough contender to beat.

l Maximus l
10-23-2001, 12:15 PM
Izzy...good post. Sounds very similar to my story.

But, I also would like to add to the fact that Sega is now making games for XBox. I am not a fan of *all* Sega games, but, the vast majority of them certainly put them in a seperate category of excellence.

The Dreamcast was a great, yet, short-lived console. But, with the XBox, now the sky is the limit for Sega game developers! I'm gearing up trying to prepare myself for mind-blowing entertainment hours on end due November 15th!

Doesn't it seem like hours have turned into days and days into weeks because of the excitement of waiting for November 15th?

-Max

Xboxmaster2001
10-23-2001, 03:23 PM
cause the only cool game on gamecube is SUPER MONKEY BALL

Dan Livingston
10-23-2001, 05:25 PM
Rouge Squadron isn't cool?