PDA

View Full Version : What is the console war??

OppiumNitrates
06-20-2002, 12:21 PM
i dont get it . . . is there really a war going on?? think about it your in a game store and the clerk is bashing console 1 and pointing out the negitive points and prasing the console 2 to some coustomer who dont know jack about consoles . . . would u open your mouth and shead some light on the subject? ? ?

if the answer is yes how bout this senario . . . ur in a toy store and someone is about to but brand X batteries and u would never buy them u stick with brand E cauz IYO they r the best and last longest . . . do u open your mouth . . .

what im saying is if someone doesnt know what they r looking for when shopping for a certin product how come the war between competiors isnt as obvious as the rivalry between consoles . . . . the people in video game stores dont really give u a choice they push 1 console on u and bash the rest . . . but when shopping for a TV your more likely to hear things like . .this sony has balh blah blah or this Panasonic is almost as good for a little less. . . . but if u wnata spend the big bucks this Zenith is the best buy . . . they dont just pick one company and bash the rest they show u all the choices and they do it in a non bias manner(usually u might find a guy here and there alwasy pushin one product)

JJaX
06-20-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates
i dont get it . . . is there really a war going on?? think about it your in a game store and the clerk is bashing console 1 and pointing out the negitive points and prasing the console 2 to some coustomer who dont know jack about consoles . . . would u open your mouth and shead some light on the subject? ? ?

if the answer is yes how bout this senario . . . ur in a toy store and someone is about to but brand X batteries and u would never buy them u stick with brand E cauz IYO they r the best and last longest . . . do u open your mouth . . .

what im saying is if someone doesnt know what they r looking for when shopping for a certin product how come the war between competiors isnt as obvious as the rivalry between consoles . . . . the people in video game stores dont really give u a choice they push 1 console on u and bash the rest . . . but when shopping for a TV your more likely to hear things like . .this sony has balh blah blah or this Panasonic is almost as good for a little less. . . . but if u wnata spend the big bucks this Zenith is the best buy . . . they dont just pick one company and bash the rest they show u all the choices and they do it in a non bias manner(usually u might find a guy here and there alwasy pushin one product)

Cause Tv's and batteries do one spefic job and thats it.

There are to many options and differences with gaming consoles. You can get one and miss out on the stuff the other can do etc....... If you buy the "battery" all you get is a dead discman a few days earlier.

Does that make sense?? Im not sure..........

OppiumNitrates
06-20-2002, 12:34 PM
yeah but with the TVs u might be missing out on stuff too like say a 3-line picture comb as opposed to a 3D picture comb . . . yeah the batteries arnt really a good example cauz they do the same thing but its just an example . . .

Highlite23
06-20-2002, 12:47 PM
A TV will always give you a picture,thats it's fundamental task.

An XBOX may not give you FF, or Mario, etc...
A PS2 may not give you BB or HD out of the box...

I think the war is really the "TRUE" gamer against the "CASUAL" gamer. Think about it......

I know why i bought an XBOX, I think MS made the system with True gamers in mind, i think Sony made a system to sell just on perception and is banking on the "Lemings" out there that just follow the norm.

Is there a console war?? yes, only in the media. The playing field, although it seems Sony has the upper hand, has been leveled quite a bit, and as time passes it will get continue to "Flatten"

Why sales people "push" a certain console, individual opinion. The real sales people will take the time to give pro's & cons to all consoles and let the consumer decide.

Dre
06-20-2002, 12:48 PM
The console war is very much alive. It isn't as apparent with store clerks and such, because as you said they are usually biased. IMO if someone doesn't do research before buying something at 500$ then they deserve the crap they buy. With such a big expense, its only common sense to take a look at what you are buying, the competitors, etc.

Snoopy7548
06-20-2002, 12:49 PM
there is a console war. every night, little men inside your consoles fight, they have guns and everything. ive seen it one time too! it was so cool. lol:D

OppiumNitrates
06-20-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
there is a console war. every night, little men inside your consoles fight, they have guns and everything. ive seen it one time too! it was so cool. lol:D

LoL now thats accually funny . . .

but thats a good point highlite about the casual gamer Vs. true gamer . . .

SkoalMint
06-20-2002, 02:14 PM
The reason for the perception of a "console war" is the passion that gamers have for games and the consoles we play them on. Your example of TV's and batteries may not be the best as few people are passionate about the brand name on the TV they watch or of the batteries they use. On the otherhand, I live in the southeastern part of the U.S. NASCAR is pretty big down here. Well, very big down here. The passion these people have for this sport carries right on through to the type of automobile they drive. You primarily have those that love Ford and those that love Chevy. I have literally seen discussions escalate into arguements that ultimately escalate into fistfights becasuse someone badmouthed a particular car or driver. I know alot of people that will never buy a Ford or never buy a Chevy even though the other may fit their needs better. My point is that we as gamers are very passionate about our particular console of choice. Does that make it the right console for everyone? Probably not. However, we do try to encourage others to choose our console to help ensure it lives long and prospers.