PDA

View Full Version : i have a router, but heres my situation, can you help?

Scarlet Spider
06-21-2002, 02:45 PM
ok, my dad has a router in his "master" computer room, thats where all the "BIG" stuff is. hes got his computer with the printer and scanner and everying, we have our network of 3 computers, his in his room, my sisters in that room too, and mine in my room. the router is in the computer room but the xbox is in my room :) so when xbl comes out am i gunna have to go in the attic again and run a wire from his room to mine??? can i somehow hook it to the computer in my room, or will that mean buying a nouther router?

Genocide
06-21-2002, 02:51 PM
Does that 3 part Home network include the computer in your room? (Do you have broadband internet on your computer?)

Scarlet Spider
06-21-2002, 02:53 PM
yes

Genocide
06-21-2002, 03:00 PM
OK buy a 10/100 Network interface Card (NIC) And install that into one of the free PCI slots on your mother board (the long white ones). Your dad should be able to help you with the installation and configuration and all that mess. Then I believe you would buy a Catagory 5 Crossover Cable (Cat5 X-Over Cable) Plug one end into the back of the NIC and the other into your Xbox.

You won't have to go into your attic and you can be online and using Xbox live at the same time. :D

Scarlet Spider
06-21-2002, 03:20 PM
and should cost me how much??

Genocide
06-21-2002, 05:37 PM
Not more then $35 dollars depending on your ISP (for different IP's)

Chaotic
06-21-2002, 07:47 PM
No offense but you dont have to go through all that.

If im understanding you correctly you already have a patch cable running to your room from your dads room?

If thats the case just buy a 5 port workgroup switch and hook it from your dads router into the swich you installed into your room, then take another patch cable from your xbox to the switch thats now in your room and remember to hook another cable from the switch into your computer!

jccip20
06-22-2002, 09:47 PM
Snaking a wire through the attic will probably give you the quickest most efficient connection. You also would not have to make a crossover cable or buy one for that. A straight cat-5 cable will do. Also using a firewall on any of the computers on your network will probably give you a problem when you are using the xbox online unless you forward the port for the xbox to make sure it is given an address and all data is allowed to flow in and out. I have a router and i use the snake method, plus cable is cheap and it does look better without all those wires all over the place in your room running from the computer to the xbox. Remember this is just an alternative the other two suggestions work just as well.

Scarlet Spider
06-23-2002, 02:06 AM
would this all work with xbox connect?

[DA]L{}GIC{R}
06-23-2002, 02:32 PM
My home is networked with the linksys 4 port router and all the ports are taken so what I did was take my pc added a 10/100 nic card it costs $20 and added ti to a free pci slot on my pc. Then I connected a crossover cable or a xbox cable link from the second nic card and it works like a router for my xbox. I can play xbconnect and gspy without a problem. That might be the way to go without wire going everywhere. :)

brdgolf1
06-24-2002, 10:10 AM
Actually there is an easier way to accomplish what you want to do. Go out to your local computer store and buy a network hub. You can get one for about $30. Take the network cable coming from the main router and hook it up to the "UPLINK" port of the new hub. Then you can hook up anything you want to the other connection points on the hub. There is a difference between hubs and routers. Hubs basically only provide connectivity whereas Routers provide some smarts on how things are connected. Thats why hubs are inexpensive and are made for exactly what you are trying to do. You might even be able to find a hub for alot less than $30.

Chaotic
06-24-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by brdgolf1
Actually there is an easier way to accomplish what you want to do. Go out to your local computer store and buy a network hub. You can get one for about $30. Take the network cable coming from the main router and hook it up to the "UPLINK" port of the new hub. Then you can hook up anything you want to the other connection points on the hub. There is a difference between hubs and routers. Hubs basically only provide connectivity whereas Routers provide some smarts on how things are connected. Thats why hubs are inexpensive and are made for exactly what you are trying to do. You might even be able to find a hub for alot less than $30.

Excally what i said :rolleyes:

Chaotic
06-24-2002, 11:00 AM
ALso get a switch over a hub.

A hub doesnt provide 100% bandwidth to all ports at the same time where as a switch does provide 100% of equal bandwidth throughout.

XboxDragoon
06-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Just get a decent 10/100MBPS auto switch with uplink port and 2 Cat5 cables . Plug the current line(from the router) into the uplink port on the switch. Plug one of the lines from one port on the switch to your PC, and plug another line from another port on the switch to your xbox. Its that simple. Don't be bother by ICS, or using crossover cables. Unecessary hassles.