PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive

NomadLLama
06-21-2002, 06:08 PM
i have had my xbox for only about 4 months and i don't play it often. after i played the august OXM disc, i closed my DVD drive and waited for the status indicator to stop blinking, so that i could shut off my box, but while the status indicator was blinking, the DVD drive gave off a very strange buzzing and quite loud noise. from then on (two days ago 6/19/02) till now, that buzzing noise just keeps coming up. when I play a game tho, it does not buzz like that. its only does that when there is no disc and it is recognizing that there is no disc. happen to anyone else??

Xbox Owner
06-21-2002, 06:13 PM
I can't help you out, maybe call the XBox number, is all I can say.:confused:

Spike Minoda
06-21-2002, 08:17 PM
1-800-4MY-XBOX

elitewp
06-21-2002, 10:39 PM
I was experiencing probs with my XBOX DVD-ROM also. I was getting dirty disc errors and game freezes constantly. I have also heard the noise you are mentioning. Now my DVD-ROM is completely dead. I called customer support and basically for the price they quoted me to fix my prob, it just wasn't worth it. Since I bought it before Christmas, my 90 day warranty had expired and I didn't purchase the extended warranty, I was pretty much screwed. So today I am the proud owner of a shiny new XBOX with an extended warranty.

-EW

NomadLLama
06-21-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by elitewp
I was experiencing probs with my XBOX DVD-ROM also. I was getting dirty disc errors and game freezes constantly. I have also heard the noise you are mentioning. Now my DVD-ROM is completely dead. I called customer support and basically for the price they quoted me to fix my prob, it just wasn't worth it. Since I bought it before Christmas, my 90 day warranty had expired and I didn't purchase the extended warranty, I was pretty much screwed. So today I am the proud owner of a shiny new XBOX with an extended warranty.

-EW

oh crap............ well, i called 18004myxbox and the guy said that if the games run fine, then the thing is fine. this is kinda bad. well, i hope that i can keep you guys posted with GOOD news. not a new xbox. i won't get another if it does break down, that's the thing. LLama's outta money

Fixxer
06-22-2002, 05:15 AM
You sure its not just the drive searching for a disc???

XboxDragoon
06-22-2002, 02:24 PM
The Xbox will spool the drive up to its maxium speed while its trying to detect a disc. It uses a offset sensor to detect the intertia given off by a spinning disc. If their is not intertia, the drive should stop spinning. This usually goes on for about 10secs.

Lazarus
06-23-2002, 06:59 PM
I heard a strange buzz once- looked around- knew it came form my Xbox- but it hasnt happened since- maybe i had tilted the Xbox wrong or something- oh wait i remember- i think i had it on for like 2 or three days straight- give it some rest...