PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Hard Drive Question

XboxDragoon
06-21-2002, 10:59 PM
How come this bad boy never needs to be defragmented????

Any thoughts????

Thanks,
Dragoon

elitewp
06-21-2002, 11:05 PM
I'm no expert, but I would guess the primary function the hard drive serves is to store saved games. So performance wouldn't be an issue and defragmenting the drive wouldn't be needed.

That would be my guess...

-EW

XboxDragoon
06-21-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by elitewp
I'm no expert, but I would guess the primary function the hard drive serves is to store saved games. So performance wouldn't be an issue and defragmenting the drive wouldn't be needed.

That would be my guess...

-EW

It also caches game data during loading.

wweomaniac
06-21-2002, 11:07 PM
the things hella slow as it is. I don't think defragmenting is gonna help.I don't have much on my hardrive anyways. And I haven't deleted anything yet either.

Hugh_Jass
06-21-2002, 11:41 PM
For all we know it automatically defrags in the background (like WinXP).

XboxDragoon
06-21-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
For all we know it automatically defrags in the background (like WinXP).

Thats probably it. I have noticed that if you leave the xbox idleing you can hear the hard drive start to spool up. I have no idea what it does. But thats probably it. It even does it durning some games when its not even loading.

Scarlet Spider
06-22-2002, 01:50 AM
i never let my xbox idle, im too much of a wuss:confused:

Fixxer
06-22-2002, 05:11 AM
The hdd is partitioned into a bunch of sections... One section is used for caching stuff and is wiped all the time so you don't need to defrag it.

Vuldarak Zeta
06-22-2002, 06:51 AM
suposedly it is a self defragmenting hd. thats one of the things sony fanboys were usin against the box at one point. sayin that the self defrag hd tecknology was to new and that the drive would crap out on us.