PDA

View Full Version : I'm SCREWED!!!!!!!!

JimmieDoogan
06-23-2002, 09:39 PM
WTF is going on? My cousin and I were busting Halo, we'd been playing for a long time... about 3 or so hours, then all the sudden my Xbox shuts off. I'm thinkin "Ok, its the heat..." So I shut it off. Couple hours later, I turn it back on and we play halo for about 40 minutes or so, fine, no problem... BAM. Shuts off again. Is it hot... not really. So we let it cool down some more. This time, perfect, not at the slightest bit hot. Start playing again, this time, it shuts off within a few seconds. Now its just turning off and on. The power button doesn't work, but the eject button is just fine. Something tells me that there is a short in the power switch somewhere... anyway, I've no choice but to buy another Xbox... I bought mine in Febuary and the warrantee is up... guess I should've bought that extended warrantee. Probably gonna have to buy a new PS2 soon too. Its not like I treat my consoles like crap... My Dreamcast doesn't give me such problems. Its going strong. I've only had my Game Cube a little while, so I'll know in 6 months (I guess) if it's a piece of worthlessness. Like I said, I'll buy another one... I've got too many games just to give up. I'm more than positive that its not worth sending back to Microsoft, even if it is less than buying a new one (that is, if it is less). I still don't know what I did wrong... it sat there the whole time.... I've never really moved it, its worked great.... never dropped... never even shaken. All my game saves are gone now.... all that work and all those hours in Morrowind.... damn it....

wweomaniac
06-23-2002, 09:45 PM
WHY ARE SO MANY OF THESE PROBLEMS HAPPENIGN RIGHT NOW?!?!

I've seen so many of these threads throughtout this week.

BlindSniper
06-23-2002, 09:54 PM
dude thats gotta suck i hjope it doesnt happen to me

Whoopage
06-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
WHY ARE SO MANY OF THESE PROBLEMS HAPPENIGN RIGHT NOW?!?!

I've seen so many of these threads throughtout this week.

no kiddin'....whats going on.....its kind of trippy if you ask me........:rolleyes:

Hugh_Jass
06-23-2002, 11:27 PM
Maybe your fan died. That sounds like a heat problem to me.

sinizuh
06-23-2002, 11:43 PM
maybe i should touch my xbox... i might break it D:

nah ;) i've had it since launch, i've played like 25 different games on it and it's perfect (except for Halo, but that's a software problem)

NomadLLama
06-23-2002, 11:59 PM
hmmm.. wow... well, to see if ur xbox really is hot, fell the part where the power supply is. that should tell you if its hot. and unplug it and don't play it for 24 hours (for real). then see how it is.

PSYCH0 GUY
06-24-2002, 12:05 AM
make sure your power cord is all the way plugged in and not just partially in... mine did that and it turned off a couple of times.

JimmieDoogan
06-24-2002, 12:23 AM
No... thats not it.... I've even tried moving it to another room, so I can try a different outlet.... no good... I'm just gonna have to buy another one.... I'll just use my sister's for now. At least I got my Morrowind save onto my Memcard (like I said it was turning off and on). It stayed on long enough to get some files off it. I'm gonna keep it til I get my new one so I can see if maybe I can transfer some game saves after I put the one's on my memcard to my new Xbox HDD. Sux though... hours of music ripping.... I am definatly buying a 2 year warrantee with my next one. Odd... my sister and 2 of my buddies have never had problem one... why did I have to have hundreds.... Oh well... I guess I got the bad egg... usually happens to me anyway. At least it wasn't any of you. God I hope no one else is having such problems. Then I know its just me. Good gamin to yall... I'll probably still lurk like I usually do. Peace.

JimmieDoogan
06-24-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by sinizuh
maybe i should touch my xbox... i might break it D:

nah ;) i've had it since launch, i've played like 25 different games on it and it's perfect (except for Halo, but that's a software problem)

That's nice... your point is? *shakes head and sighs*

NomadLLama
06-24-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
I'll just use my sister's for now. At least I got my Morrowind save onto my Memcard (like I said it was turning off and on). It stayed on long enough to get some files off it. I'm gonna keep it til I get my new one so I can see if maybe I can transfer some game saves after I put the one's on my memcard to my new Xbox HDD. Sux though... hours of music ripping.... I am definatly buying a 2 year warrantee with my next one. Oh well... I guess I got the bad egg... usually happens to me anyway. At least it wasn't any of you. God I hope no one else is having such problems.

wait, ur sister and you have separate xboxes?? dang, i have to let my brother use my xbox whenever he wants because i am home from school... well, i get the bad egg lots of times, but i usually see if they are not good when i first get them out of the box. well, good luck...

Young_Fledgling
06-24-2002, 12:44 AM
wow i would be super mad... this is all scaring me... i should really get a warranty on mine!!! *runs to xbox box and looks for warranty papers*

JimmieDoogan
06-24-2002, 12:46 AM
UPDATE- It's the fan. For some reason it no longer works. I wonder if I could just fix it some how.

NomadLLama
06-24-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by wardpr68
wow i would be super mad... this is all scaring me... i should really get a warranty on mine!!! *runs to xbox box and looks for warranty papers*

yeah, because all of these people are having problems with their boxes, i have been hearing weird sounds ive never noticed from my xbox. my brother says that i am just going nuts. :)

Razzle Dazzle
06-24-2002, 02:13 AM
That's terrible! I'm sorry that you're having such a problem. :( However, on the bright side, if it is broken, you could still sell it on ebay (make sure to say "broken" in the headline). Lots of people are able to sell broken consoles, and get pretty good $$ for them. Just on the bright side. ;)

X-Factor
06-24-2002, 02:20 AM
Xbox games I have had troubles with:

Halo

Agent Under Fire

God d@mn FPS's...:(

UnitedKingdom
06-24-2002, 04:04 AM
If its the fan then it should be easy to get another one and fix it yourself. Or you could buy a new one and stick your broken xbox in the new box and take it back to the shop!

My first xbox wouldn't read any of my games, it just hung on the loading screens for ages and scratched all my disks!

GokuX
06-24-2002, 04:14 AM
If you're going to get a new one any way and the warranty is up, then a fan replacement should be an easy fix provided the XBox fan does indeed connect to the mobo like a PC fan does via a connector of some sort. Open up your XBox and pull that old fan out and take it to your local computer store. Get the same sized fan or close to same size even if the connectors aren't the same since you can do a simple wire splice job just twisting the wires together. Cut the connector off the new fan so you have exposed wires. It should have a red and black wire. Peel the wire coating back a little so you have some exposed wire to work with. Cut the fan connector off of the Xbox fan leaving about an inch of wire connected to the newly separated connector. Again peel the wire coating back so you have some bare wire to work with. Now the easy part: connect the red from the new fan to the red on the Xbox fan connector you cut off, twist the wires together and if ya want to make it look all fancy use electrical tape. Repeat with the black wires. Put everything back together, plug the fan back in and it should be good. All you have to lose is like $10 for the fan. Not bad if it saves you $200, plus you'll learn a little more about the inner workings of the Xbox.

chili325
06-24-2002, 06:55 AM
It a long shot, but maybe something happened with the auto shutoff. Try disabling that or something along those lines.

Hugh_Jass
06-24-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

I called it!
:cool:

Highlite23
06-24-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

I gotta agree with Hugh, can you feel air coming out the back vents??

If not, that's an inexpensive repair. Call MS and ask how much it would cost.

Happens all the time on PC's it's a 10 minute job.

Halo Freak
06-24-2002, 09:51 AM
u should check the fan to see if it works when u turn on the xbox

Frostberg
06-24-2002, 10:01 AM
Ok he said...

UPDATE- It's the fan. For some reason it no longer works. I wonder if I could just fix it some how.

(BTW nice one Hugh!)

So why is everyone still talking about airflow...and it wouldn't work at all if he said "...it no longer works."

Read the above posts...Not only is it pointless, it makes you look stupid...:D

kornavs19
06-24-2002, 11:20 AM
sh*t.... I was playn Hunter with my brother yesterday and we were fighting the warden and all of a sudden the game shut off and brought us back to the dashboard and it said xbox could not read the disc or something like that..... I was <ROYALLY> P*ssed! Has that happened to anyone else????

p.s.
Good luck with your x-box....:)

Xbox Owner
06-24-2002, 12:06 PM
Nothing has gone wrong with mine, so far. Maybe you should run out and get disc or something to transfer all your saved stuff. I don't know..I don't know..:(

JimmieDoogan
06-24-2002, 12:20 PM
I was able to fix the fan, but it was not the problem apparantley. I will have no choice but to buy a new Xbox. I can't believe this though... strait out of the blue and it doesn't work. Bull shiet. At least my PoS2 is giving me signs that its dying. The Xbox just up and died. I can't believe this. Sigh....................................

Spaztic
06-24-2002, 12:43 PM
does the light around the eject button flash a reddish orange?

JimmieDoogan
06-24-2002, 04:12 PM
No its green... I checked every resource I know. I'd be really miffed if I didn't already have another in the house... I've already got most of my saves on the other one, so everything's gonna be alright. Plus with the price drop, I can afford the warrantee. Hopefully I'll never need to send the new one in.

BTW: Still the power button... for some reason it works when it wants too... and it turns on when it wants to... not to mention off... I think it might be possesed... I'm gonna call a priest to check it out, then I'm gonna leave it alone for ever...

EHWfedPres
06-24-2002, 04:20 PM
Wreckless freezes every time I go to play it just about...and yes, I still play Wreckless. :p

elitewp
06-24-2002, 04:48 PM
Jimmie-

Sell me the DVD-ROM from your XBOX! Mine crapped out on my old one. Then you have a little extra money to put towards your new XBOX.

Also, It would be risky, but you could transfer you old hdd into your new XBOX. This would void the warranty though...

-EW

JimmieDoogan
06-24-2002, 05:43 PM
Sorry dood... I would love to sell it to ya, but I wouldn't feel right selling ya a product that doesn't work... I got all angry this morning and slammed it on the ground. If ya still want it, I'll give it to you if you pay for shipping, but I gurantee its busted... I'm done with it otherwise. I wonder if I can take out any of the parts... would they be usefull to me in anyway....?

gamer23
06-24-2002, 05:46 PM
Well, i think I know the problem if it was on carpet that might be the prob. (somebody @ the xbox hotline told me that, dont know what happens). If not sorry, but THAT SUCKS

EHWfedPres
06-24-2002, 06:12 PM
I keep my Xbox on an elevated wire rack...no problems...serious problems so far...freezing alot on Wreckless now...thats all.

Shorezy
06-24-2002, 06:17 PM
I know this has been sead in other post replies, but this HAS been happening alot! What's goin on! I hope this isn't goin to happen to all of us! Are those boxes that are failing older or sumthin?!:eek:

Hugh_Jass
06-25-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
Sorry dood... I would love to sell it to ya, but I wouldn't feel right selling ya a product that doesn't work... I got all angry this morning and slammed it on the ground. If ya still want it, I'll give it to you if you pay for shipping, but I gurantee its busted... I'm done with it otherwise. I wonder if I can take out any of the parts... would they be usefull to me in anyway....?

Before you slammed it on the ground the hard drive would have been useful as a replacement in your next XBOX, if needed. However, now it probably isn't useful for anything.

JimmieDoogan
06-25-2002, 08:34 PM
It still boots and stays on for some time, but the disc drive won't open when I press the button anymore. I can probably still use the HDD, but say I get a newer Xbox with more stable drivers and what not... Not really a drastic change just a small one. I wouldn't wanna put the old HDD in and lose that (or even the possible of it) so I'll just keep the new one. If any one wants to put this HDD in their Xbox, I'll give it to ya for free as long as you pay for shipping, but I wouldn't suggest it. Anyway, I'm coo. Been bustin on my sister's X and everything is peachy til friday when I get my new one. Peaces for now!

fear_this
06-26-2002, 12:37 AM
Hm, well i took electronics/electricity in school. So I might be able to help. Since you say your going to buy a new xbox try to see if you can get the one you have now to work. I would think that its a loose connection at the on/off power button. Same thing happened to one of my controllers buttons. Well anyway look inside the beast and look to see if you see anything loose at all pull of a few things to see how loose they are.

guitargod711
06-26-2002, 07:22 AM
Frankly, I don't believe him.

JimmieDoogan
06-26-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by guitargod711
Frankly, I don't believe him.

And.... thats nice, now go somewhere else, because we don't appreciate thread crapping at this site. Thank you and have a nice life.

Neo1
06-27-2002, 12:57 PM
I have had no problems whatsoever with my X-BOX. Although I can't seem to figure out how to listen to music that I copied to the hard drive while I play my games. Any ideas?

EHWfedPres
06-27-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Neo1
I have had no problems whatsoever with my X-BOX. Although I can't seem to figure out how to listen to music that I copied to the hard drive while I play my games. Any ideas?

What games do you want to listen to the music while playing? because not every game has that function...